PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Tahoe ppv lq4 swap questions

Trxmxzx
March 6th, 2016, 01:37 PM
So as it say my buddy bought a Police pursuit vehicle and we put his lq4 in it.

his mods now are
LQ4
Milled .020 317 heads
stock head gaskets
TSP228R-112lsa (.588/.588)
pacesetter 1-3/4 long tubes with ORY pipe
3200 stall

stock flex fuel injector

questions I have seeing im a newbie/wannabie tuner and I cant seem to find the answer im looking for

seeing his Pcm ve table is calibrated for the 5.3 L59 should I find a tune with a 6.0 and copy that over to start the autove process? say my dads 2005 escalade even though its a lq9?

All the reading that ive done do I try to adjust injectors first? or skip that seeing there stock. Ve tune, then work on MAF calibration, then Idle? I don't want to be running in circles trying to get this to work.

-how about the knock sensors do I need to adjust for bigger cam?
-stall converter what do I change for that again? im starting to trip over what im trying to do.
-delete rear 02 sensors because there is not cats now

as it is right now the truck will start and run until 175 ECT then rpms drop to low and stalls out. we are in Michigan 40F ish weather right now. hes hooking up the Wideband right now, should it go in the collector on the long tubes or the ORY pipe? its a Innovate motorsports LC2 hoping that we can make it work with efilive v2

Any Tuning guru wanna help a newbie it would be nice to get the thing to stop stalling once warm. Ill try to upload/attach the file so its out there if anybody wants to have it

I have the file on performancetrucks.net

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/tuning-diagnostics-electronics-wiring-161/2005-tahoe-ppv-lq4-swap-questions-542839/

Jetmech442
March 7th, 2016, 03:45 AM
I'm not a tuning guru, but I got my lq9 swapped into my 69 cutlass and it has the 228r cam also.

Im assuming you have an lq4 ecm right? Not sure what the l59 is... Either way, yes, start by copying over the base tune from a similar year lq4. Watch out for if it's drive by wire or cable. Dying at 175 F Probly means that it switches from open to closed loop and then freaks out. This behavior will change with the lq4 tune.

Im using the innovate lc2 as well. It is 1 inch after the collector on my longtubes. Wire it exactly as they say, 12v relay and all. You'll also need a null modem adapter to connect it to the v2. Don't try and run analog with it, waste of time. If you havn't already, read the sticky "calcvet" and idle tips and tuning. Then read them 5 more times. 😀

So, injectors should be taken care of with the lq4 tune. Do idle tuning first, Ditch the autoVE and definitly do CalcVet next , it calibrates the VE and maf at the same time. Rear 02 gets deleted. I left my knock sensors alone with the 228r and gave been fine.

Im no help with trans tune...

Gotta go to meeting, Hope this helps.

Trxmxzx
March 7th, 2016, 05:58 AM
I'm not a tuning guru, but I got my lq9 swapped into my 69 cutlass and it has the 228r cam also.

Im assuming you have an lq4 ecm right? Not sure what the l59 is... Either way, yes, start by copying over the base tune from a similar year lq4. Watch out for if it's drive by wire or cable. Dying at 175 F Probly means that it switches from open to closed loop and then freaks out. This behavior will change with the lq4 tune.

Im using the innovate lc2 as well. It is 1 inch after the collector on my longtubes. Wire it exactly as they say, 12v relay and all. You'll also need a null modem adapter to connect it to the v2. Don't try and run analog with it, waste of time. If you havn't already, read the sticky "calcvet" and idle tips and tuning. Then read them 5 more times. ��

So, injectors should be taken care of with the lq4 tune. Do idle tuning first, Ditch the autoVE and definitly do CalcVet next , it calibrates the VE and maf at the same time. Rear 02 gets deleted. I left my knock sensors alone with the 228r and gave been fine.

Im no help with trans tune...

Gotta go to meeting, Hope this helps.

It has stock PCM that came in the truck. The L59 is the flexfuel version of the 5.3L

What tables Should I copy over? VE? Spark?

The injectors that are on the truck now are from the 5.3L I think they are 35lb/hr

thanks for the help

Jetmech442
March 7th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Oh I get it now, the Tahoe came with the l59 and you dropped in a lq4. I read ppv and auto thought caprice...
Yeah, to start, copy ve table, copy lq4 high spark into both high /low l59 tables. Probly the maf cal tables also since the intake tubing is likely different. (this will get corrected in calcvet, but better to have a good baseline). Idle desired airflow will be different, but I would start with the idle tuning procedure anyways. Umm, can't think of anything else at the moment, I can't access efilive in my workstation anymore (thanks IT), I'm sure others will chime in.

Jetmech442
March 7th, 2016, 07:08 AM
BTW, what lsa do you have any on the cam? Mine was in a 115 so I have no overlap.

joecar
March 7th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Copy as many tables as you can that are specific to the LQ9 engine...

copy the injector tables (all of them) from the calibration that came with the injectors.

Keep vehicle/system/transmission specific tables that came with the vehicle.

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Trxmxzx
March 7th, 2016, 10:44 AM
B0104? is at 666cc per cyl

do I change that to 750cc? per cyl

The cam is on a 112lsa

So I'm reading two different things - through all the tutorials I'm reading tune idle last, letmech your saying tune idle in first?

Jetmech442
March 7th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Sure, change b0104. When you do calcvet, you should have your units in (g*K/kpa) so it won't really affect anything. (step 1a of calcvet)

I couldn't get mine to idle well enough to do calcvet first. when I clutched in it just straight died. I ran step 2 of idle tips and tricks (logging see. Maf...). Then I made my ve table in those areas match. Since you seem to idle fine up to 150 then you could Probly do calcvet first .

Joecar please slap my knuckles if I'm misleading here.

joecar
March 7th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Sounds good, please proceed :)

joecar
March 7th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Jetmech is correct:

B0104 cylinder volume is used by B0101 VE table only when it is displayed in % units...
B0104 does not do anything when B0101 is displayed in g*K/kPa units (it is documentive).

Trxmxzx
March 7th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Thank you two very much!! That cleared a lot up!!

Trxmxzx
March 19th, 2016, 04:43 PM
So I managed to get a log done on this Tahoe. However after completing it I realized I have the tune file that's setup for autoVE. in it when I did the logging (via autove turtorial)

is that ok?

I will attach the log file plus the tune that I modified (autove_first log). I took the logged info and copied them over to B0101 and pasted with multipliers. The numbers are a pretty big change. ( probably because I copied the ve from a cammed lq9, its all I had to work with, tunefiledepot wouldn't download)

then smoothed the peaks out. I also logged the maf (tab B) those numbers where not off to far from what I noticed. even though its set to fail it still read info.

hoping I am doing this right. thank you for helping me out the other day and getting this going!

joecar
March 21st, 2016, 02:51 PM
In your tune file, set these as follows:
B3608: 0.05 s
B3609: 0.05 s
B3616: 65% below 3200 rpm, 35% above 3200 rpm.
B3615: same as B3616 immediately above.
B3618: EQR 1.175 (the EQR 1.134 in B3605 is not rich enough for WOT).
C6001: set P0101, P0102, P0103 to A:1-Trip.
D0961, D0962: set to 100% everywhere (same as D0960).

If you're doing AutoVE or AutoMAF, then also disable B4206.

If you don't see enough digits after the decimal point (e.g. none at all), then highlight the cell and click the +.00 button until you see several decimal digits.

joecar
March 21st, 2016, 02:58 PM
Is this the file where you applied the AutoVE (paste-multiplied the map)...?: 2005 tahoe ppv_6.0_autove_ first log.ctz (https://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19376&d=1458444722)

joecar
March 21st, 2016, 03:00 PM
Disable B4206 and start again (throw that file away, flash in the previous file).

Trxmxzx
March 22nd, 2016, 09:22 AM
Is this the file where you applied the AutoVE (paste-multiplied the map)...?: 2005 tahoe ppv_6.0_autove_ first log.ctz (https://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19376&d=1458444722)

Yes it is- looks like I need to rework it all- thank you very much for taking a look at them.

Trxmxzx
March 22nd, 2016, 10:00 AM
B3618: EQR 1.175 (the EQR 1.134 in B3605 is not rich enough for WOT).

So how much should I change in the B3605 table? I changed some in the table as you can see. you think anything above 65 map KPA and about 176 degrees ECT should just be the 1.134 EQ Ratio? thank you again. Its making sense

joecar
March 22nd, 2016, 03:40 PM
So how much should I change in the B3605 table? I changed some in the table as you can see. you think anything above 65 map KPA and about 176 degrees ECT should just be the 1.134 EQ Ratio? thank you again. Its making senseI would use the stock B3605, and use the PE table B3618 (with suitable B3616 as shown above) to set PE/WOT fueling to EQR 1.175.

Trxmxzx
March 25th, 2016, 01:02 PM
so I got a start up log, however I got DTC p0054, p0060, p0300

rear 02 sensors and muiltiple misfires

no DTC for maf to do calc.vet

what am I missing

Trxmxzx
March 25th, 2016, 01:32 PM
okay I got it figured out P0103 code

forgot to change hz to 1

Trxmxzx
March 25th, 2016, 02:01 PM
I think I got it now.

I ALSO tHINK I NEED TO LOG MORE TABLES - when I copy over to the B0101 table its nasty looking dips and jumps in the graph - I think I will try again tomorrow and wait for some responses.

Does 36 degrees outside affect what im doing or trying to do?

joecar
March 25th, 2016, 10:43 PM
Log for longer... use smoother progressive throttle, don't yank it open... use brakes to induce more load.

joecar
March 25th, 2016, 11:22 PM
I think I got it now.

I ALSO tHINK I NEED TO LOG MORE TABLES - when I copy over to the B0101 table its nasty looking dips and jumps in the graph - I think I will try again tomorrow and wait for some responses.

Does 36 degrees outside affect what im doing or trying to do?You have 27 pid channels (which reduces the sampling rate from 10 frames/s to 5 frames/s).

Is this from doing AutoVE or CALC.MAFT...?

Trxmxzx
March 27th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Yes I noticed that also I will change them to 22 channels to watch.

Trxmxzx
March 28th, 2016, 12:11 PM
alright I fixed the pid list.
heres the new log

going to do another drive, try to get more cells hit

Let me know if im on the right track please.....ill be back in 20 min

Trxmxzx
March 28th, 2016, 12:43 PM
DRIVE LOG 3 - this road was bumpy it was hard to keep throttle steady - had corners with some stall outs

Jetmech442
March 28th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Hey, in regards to log 2 I have some observations. At times it looks like your narrow bands diverge from each other. At frames 2108 you can plot and see they follow each other nicely, but then you see at 2198 and 2239 that they completely diverge, one says rich other says lean. I think low mV means low of stoich, and from there you can see that the WB02 agrees mostly with H02S11. frames 2510 to 2726 have good cyclic behavior around stoich and the WB agrees.

What I don't see is your CALV.VET map or pids. It might be how I download and open your tune but I don't see that you have collected them. can you confirm that you are indeed making the map with the parameter names calc.vet, calc.ven and calc.cl?

Trxmxzx
March 28th, 2016, 03:41 PM
Yes I have the calc.maft pids selected right now. The second sticky down. Should I being different?

At first I had calc.vet plus some autove pids plus others I accidentally saved as joe car pointed out.

I must need to setup more maps to log if I need calc.ven and calc.cl I didn't see how to do that part

Thanks for all the help!!! I'll be looking at the log tomorrow -

joecar
March 29th, 2016, 04:17 AM
DRIVE LOG 3 - this road was bumpy it was hard to keep throttle steady - had corners with some stall outsMake sure your transient filter removes those WO2LAM1 excursions above 1.4 or 1.5.

Post screenshots of you maps.

With Calc.MAFT you are correcting (paste-multiplying) VE table, and calculating a new MAF (pasting)... ignore the MAF part for now, concentrate on the VE table.

In the log, look at WO2LAM1 to see if it makes sense... CALC.CL tells you whether LTFT's or WO2BEN are to be used for correction.

Trxmxzx
March 29th, 2016, 04:58 AM
Make sure your transient filter removes those WO2LAM1 excursions above 1.4 or 1.5.

Post screenshots of you maps.

With Calc.MAFT you are correcting (paste-multiplying) VE table, and calculating a new MAF (pasting)... ignore the MAF part for now, concentrate on the VE table.

In the log, look at WO2LAM1 to see if it makes sense... CALC.CL tells you whether LTFT's or WO2BEN are to be used for correction.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/trxmxzx/screen%20shot%20data%20table.png (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/trxmxzx/media/screen%20shot%20data%20table.png.html)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/trxmxzx/screen%20shot%20map%20table.png (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/trxmxzx/media/screen%20shot%20map%20table.png.html)

this is my ve table before I paste with multiply - something just doesn't seem right at all

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/trxmxzx/ve%20table%20current.png (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/trxmxzx/media/ve%20table%20current.png.html)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/trxmxzx/ve%20after%20past%20with%20multiply.png (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/trxmxzx/media/ve%20after%20past%20with%20multiply.png.html)

Trxmxzx
March 29th, 2016, 05:02 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/trxmxzx/screen%20shot%20of%20my%20filter.png (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/trxmxzx/media/screen%20shot%20of%20my%20filter.png.html)

Trxmxzx
March 31st, 2016, 12:38 AM
So I installed EFILIVE at my shop also to put it up on split screens and noticed that my laptop is a older version Efilive- when I modify the file at my office it wont open on my laptop- I wonder if this is why some cant read some of the files I upload

if I update will it mess all my files up on the laptop?

Jetmech442
March 31st, 2016, 05:01 AM
Updated efilive can read old tunes. Update the laptop and you'll be fine.

I have a feeling the reason I can't see your maps is cause of something I'm doing wrong.

joecar
April 1st, 2016, 11:42 AM
Some things:
- in tunetool, go Edit->Properties and set VE units to g*K/kPa and fueling units to EQR, click Ok.
- in each of your maps, goto the Data tab, set Precision to 3 or 4.

joecar
April 1st, 2016, 11:44 AM
Hint: SELBEN should be within the range 0.80 to 1.09... if it is outside that range, then something is going wrong.

joecar
April 1st, 2016, 11:50 AM
What are you saying is not alright...?

this is my ve table before I paste with multiply - something just doesn't seem right at all

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/trxmxzx/ve%20table%20current.png (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/trxmxzx/media/ve%20table%20current.png.html)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/trxmxzx/ve%20after%20past%20with%20multiply.png (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/trxmxzx/media/ve%20after%20past%20with%20multiply.png.html)

joecar
April 1st, 2016, 11:53 AM
Sanity check:
1. you are doing Calc.MAFT to correct the VE table (ignoring the MAF calculation portion for now)...?
2. you are getting a MAF DTC (which causes PCM to use only VE)...?

joecar
April 1st, 2016, 11:55 AM
Updated efilive can read old tunes. Update the laptop and you'll be fine.

+1 what JetMech said...

when you update V7 software, read a .tun file and immediately save it as a .ctz file... this is now your tune file.

Trxmxzx
April 3rd, 2016, 12:05 PM
What are you saying is not alright...?

Just seems like the 10.xx number drop seems a little extreme. But I'm not a pro. The graph has many spikes which I know will need to get smoothed. . Plus when I tried it the truck for sure wouldn't idle

I'm on vacation I'll have to check all the settings when I get back.

Thanks for the help you two

joecar
April 3rd, 2016, 05:11 PM

Just seems like the 10.xx number drop seems a little extreme. But I'm not a pro. The graph has many spikes which I know will need to get smoothed. . Plus when I tried it the truck for sure wouldn't idle

...Your pasted-multiplied VE table looks quite good/clean.

run it and take a log, let's see the new BEN values (when you get back...)...

Jetmech442
April 5th, 2016, 04:34 AM
Your pasted-multiplied VE table looks quite good/clean.

Let me expand on Joe's approval...
The 10%drop in VE at idle is normal for larger cams. You should see a drop in VE in the lower rpm range, and an increase at higher rpm. For comparison, if I look at my VE in %(haven't done that in a while), then I see~43%. And my cam is 228 on a 115 LSA.

Now it has a hard time idling right? Mine did too. The idle cell in VE(mine is 55kpa/800rpm), needs to match the value in table B4307(desired airflow). The easiest way to do this is to plug real values in to the equation for VE. Assuming you performed the "idle tips and tricks" or rafig , then b4307 should be properly populated. So to get VE to say the same value you need to find the value of VE in units of gK/kPa. Charge temp must be in Kelvin. Below is a sticky(post it note) showing the math I used, the equation was taken from the notes in B0101. For reference my VE is 1.1271 gK/kPa.

It's important that the VE idle cell matches your desired airflow, especially during transitions. There are lots of cells in the tune that transition and when they differ significantly, weird behavior results.

Once I have the idle setup, I add to the calc.vet/maft rules(filter) that isolate 1000 and below From 45 to 60 kPa. This prevents the new calc.Vet maps from auto ruining the values you set.

I'm happy to edit/reword this if it doesn't make sense or if someone finds faults with the process. Hope this helps.

Trxmxzx
April 15th, 2016, 04:40 AM
Let me expand on Joe's approval...
The 10%drop in VE at idle is normal for larger cams. You should see a drop in VE in the lower rpm range, and an increase at higher rpm. For comparison, if I look at my VE in %(haven't done that in a while), then I see~43%. And my cam is 228 on a 115 LSA.

Now it has a hard time idling right? Mine did too. The idle cell in VE(mine is 55kpa/800rpm), needs to match the value in table B4307(desired airflow). The easiest way to do this is to plug real values in to the equation for VE. Assuming you performed the "idle tips and tricks" or rafig , then b4307 should be properly populated. So to get VE to say the same value you need to find the value of VE in units of gK/kPa. Charge temp must be in Kelvin. Below is a sticky(post it note) showing the math I used, the equation was taken from the notes in B0101. For reference my VE is 1.1271 gK/kPa.

It's important that the VE idle cell matches your desired airflow, especially during transitions. There are lots of cells in the tune that transition and when they differ significantly, weird behavior results.

Once I have the idle setup, I add to the calc.vet/maft rules(filter) that isolate 1000 and below From 45 to 60 kPa. This prevents the new calc.Vet maps from auto ruining the values you set.

I'm happy to edit/reword this if it doesn't make sense or if someone finds faults with the process. Hope this helps.

ok we are getting back at it today- jet that is some info you gave- is there any dumby lingo you can add, im good but damn (im assuming we are trying to get "air mass per cyl" to Grams/PS to fit B4307 numbers correct)

ill be checking back in a few

Trxmxzx
April 15th, 2016, 05:53 AM
so we have done 5 logs and mods to the ve table this last run the numbers didn't move much maybe .8 on the high side

I was wondering on how high of rpms I should push this? 4k?

thanks you guys

Trxmxzx
April 21st, 2016, 03:22 AM
Ok we are looking to start tuning more tomorrow, When Should I call it good? LTFT are within 2% while driving, Should I post Up a file?

joecar
April 21st, 2016, 11:40 AM
Ok we are looking to start tuning more tomorrow, When Should I call it good? LTFT are within 2% while driving, Should I post Up a file?
Some questions to ask yourself:

Is rail pressure correct (did you account for MAP reference to FPR)...?

Do you have the correct injector data...?

Are you tuning VE or MAF or both...?

Are you using a wideband...?

joecar
April 21st, 2016, 11:41 AM
Yes please post files and screenshots of your maps.

Trxmxzx
April 21st, 2016, 12:54 PM
Some questions to ask yourself:

Is rail pressure correct (did you account for MAP reference to FPR)...?

Do you have the correct injector data...?

Are you tuning VE or MAF or both...?

Are you using a wideband...?

The injectors are the same - we didn't change them
Tuning VE and MAF correct
Using Serial wideband

I have not checked rail pressure

I'll post up files as soon as my kid goes to bed

joecar
April 21st, 2016, 01:45 PM
The injectors are the same - we didn't change them
Tuning VE and MAF correct
Using Serial wideband

I have not checked rail pressure

I'll post up files as soon as my kid goes to bed

Ok, when you do Calc.VET, you will see when WO2BEN is close to 1.00 (for OL) and when LTFTBEN is close to 1.00 (for CL)...

if you operate the throttle "incrementally" or quasi-statically (i.e. smooth progressive non-jerky opening), might have to drag the brakes,
if you get enough hits per map cell (and apply the low cell count filter),
if you apply the transient filter (and make sure your filter is suitable),
if you make sure the MAF curve looks correct (no bumps or jumps),
if you make sure the VE has no spikes/holes (but do not over-smooth)
you will get LTFT's within 2%.

Jetmech442
April 22nd, 2016, 03:19 AM
Yeah, post a file and the tune when u get a chance. (slow day at work). Describe any issues you feel and I'll help if I have suggestions .

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Trxmxzx
April 22nd, 2016, 04:50 AM
Yeah, post a file and the tune when u get a chance. (slow day at work). Describe any issues you feel and I'll help if I have suggestions .

Awesome! Yea I obviously didn't get to load the files last night- im doing it now

Trxmxzx
April 22nd, 2016, 05:04 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/trxmxzx/B0101%20Jay%20ve%204_22.png (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/trxmxzx/media/B0101%20Jay%20ve%204_22.png.html)

Jetmech442
April 22nd, 2016, 09:19 AM
That's a good looking VE table. How did it feel? I'll try and take a look at the log in a bit

Trxmxzx
April 22nd, 2016, 11:02 AM
Thank you it did feel great. That's why I started asking the question on when I should start looking into swapping back -we did 10 driving logs - The table was not moving much after log 8

Jetmech442
April 22nd, 2016, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I called my VE table good at 2%.** Now if you change spark, you'll want to revisit the VE table.** Because you are determining VE based on excess /insufficient oxygen after combustion.** Spark will directly affect that relationship.** If you don't fire early enough, you'll have excess oxygen due to incomplete combustion.***
Thinking out loud, firing at optimal tuning should result in a true VE reading, firing before optimal shouldn't change VE but may result in better power based on when the peak cylinder pressure occurs.*
Either way, sorry, off topic.** Just be aware of the effects it will have.

Jetmech442
April 22nd, 2016, 11:14 AM
Not sure why it put in all the Asterix.

How is your idle? I'll take a look at the tune later tonight so I can put some numbers into that idle thing I was trying to explain.

Trxmxzx
April 22nd, 2016, 11:40 AM
Not sure why it put in all the Asterix.

How is your idle? I'll take a look at the tune later tonight so I can put some numbers into that idle thing I was trying to explain.

The idle I followed the thread- however I couldn't figure the calculations out to get the desired air- so I took it from 7.5 gram/sec to 10.2 and 10.5

And it's amazing it doesn't stall out anymore
It seems good for now I wanted to do the logging on it to dial it in still just didn't get to it today-

Jetmech442
April 22nd, 2016, 01:54 PM
some quick observations:
frame 2750, you go dead lean for like, 2 seconds. WB an dNB both confirm this is on both banks. Throttle was pretty steady. RPM and map was about 1900 and 25kPA. You hit these same conditions later on so it's not an issue with the VE table. this is something else. Do you remember perhaps feeling it go light on power briefly. To me, this points to fuel delivery(pressure maybe), or the pump coming uncovered by fuel(can't remember what vehicle you have).

I noticed you don't go above ~3K, have you logged the higher rpms also?

edit:just saw another one at frame 5760, sameish rpm and idle.

Jetmech442
April 22nd, 2016, 02:10 PM
so I filtered your WB02 channels by rpm and kpa. 1950/25 averages 2.150 and 2050/20 gives 1.878. so there's definitely something going on in that area(probly not fuel since it's localized). I can't open ur tune for some reason.

Trxmxzx
April 22nd, 2016, 04:04 PM
some quick observations:
frame 2750, you go dead lean for like, 2 seconds. WB an dNB both confirm this is on both banks. Throttle was pretty steady. RPM and map was about 1900 and 25kPA. You hit these same conditions later on so it's not an issue with the VE table. this is something else. Do you remember perhaps feeling it go light on power briefly. To me, this points to fuel delivery(pressure maybe), or the pump coming uncovered by fuel(can't remember what vehicle you have).

I'll get a gauge on it just to rule it out-
It's a police 2wd Tahoe

Power wise didn't notice anything really, we both thought we heard pinging a couple times but nothing came up on knock- and it was very brief- that was only in log 8 we heard noises this is 2 adjustments after.

The 3k I only ran up so high because trans was pretty warm when we started this last log - then traffic got in the way.

I was wanting to know how high to push it- I have had close to 5k in other logs

Thanks for looking into it

I wonder why you can't open it- weird

Jetmech442
April 22nd, 2016, 04:56 PM
When I did mine I multiplied the whole ve table by 10 percent and took it right up to 6800. I saw a brief amount of knock activity in log 8,only like 1 or 2 degrees for a second maybe.

Probly can't open the tune cause I had to update the software while brushing year olds teeth and rush back downstairs to help with dinner, lol. I'm sure I pricy just need to restart the 'puter or something.

Trxmxzx
April 22nd, 2016, 11:35 PM
When I did mine I multiplied the whole ve table by 10 percent and took it right up to 6800. I saw a brief amount of knock activity in log 8,only like 1 or 2 degrees for a second maybe.

Probly can't open the tune cause I had to update the software while brushing year olds teeth and rush back downstairs to help with dinner, lol. I'm sure I pricy just need to restart the 'puter or something.

So you copy and paste a new VE and run it to the moon huh- damn

To be honest I was scared to run it to the moon- it's not my truck- it's a good friends, and I talked him into doing all this, I would hate if I destroyed his motor

Jetmech442
April 23rd, 2016, 03:23 AM
Wow, so a single beer and battlefield 4 and apparently I post like a tuning-tough guy lol. No I had 2 months of fuel pressure issues and issues from not initially having a clutch switch, and throttle cracker issues. So by the time I was doing my real runs I was confident I could take it up to high rpm.

You're a cool friend. Keep going and it will be a real solid driver.

joecar
April 23rd, 2016, 03:56 AM
lol :cheers:

you add a little more to the high end of the VE to be safe (so that the tuning process brings it down to the correct level).

Trxmxzx
April 23rd, 2016, 09:01 AM
Wow, so a single beer and battlefield 4 and apparently I post like a tuning-tough guy lol. No I had 2 months of fuel pressure issues and issues from not initially having a clutch switch, and throttle cracker issues. So by the time I was doing my real runs I was confident I could take it up to high rpm.

You're a cool friend. Keep going and it will be a real solid driver.

No problems friend...

JET- So what is your cam btw? 228-115lsa that's all the info you've mentioned. What does your VE table look like for a comparison!? Im curious

JOE- when you say fudge in some higher number how much you talking? 4K- and up? 5K and up ?

Trxmxzx
April 23rd, 2016, 09:31 AM
some quick observations:

When You say lean- how lean? my AFR is fluctuating Excuse the graph im still working on it. I see my o2 sensors come off pace

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/trxmxzx/Lean%202%202750.png (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/trxmxzx/media/Lean%202%202750.png.html)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/trxmxzx/Lean1%205760.png (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/trxmxzx/media/Lean1%205760.png.html)

joecar
April 23rd, 2016, 12:29 PM
From say 4K to 6K rpm, and above 75kPa.

Jetmech442
April 23rd, 2016, 01:06 PM
I was zoomed out a bit more, Look at 2740 to 2750,both nb02s go high(going high on nb02s doesn't give a lot of info), so look at the WB02 reading, if I remember it was an EQ of about 5 or so.

As for 5760,let me recheck the frame it happened during bedtime. But you should be able to find it, your just looking for the WB02 EQ channel to go above 1.7

Jetmech442
April 23rd, 2016, 04:35 PM
frame 5760 -I was looking at log "Log_10 eway to shop 2 4_15_16". The pic below plots WBO2LAM from that file and shows lean (also the HO2S11 and HO2S21 both go lean. Are we looking at different logs?

My Cam is the TSP 228R ground on a 115LSA. I don't remember the specs, but the duration and lsa will give you overlap(and thusly how much effort it will take to tune).

When Joe was talking about fudging number from "4K to 6K rpm, and above 75kPa", that's what I was referring to about multiplying those areas by 1.10 (10% increase). That usually makes you run safely rich up high when you go zinging it up to the moon. :thumb_yello: Then CALC.MAFT will dial you back down to where you need to be.

Trxmxzx
April 24th, 2016, 02:49 AM
frame 5760 -I was looking at log "Log_10 eway to shop 2 4_15_16". The pic below plots WBO2LAM from that file and shows lean (also the HO2S11 and HO2S21 both go lean. Are we looking at different logs?

My Cam is the TSP 228R ground on a 115LSA. I don't remember the specs, but the duration and lsa will give you overlap(and thusly how much effort it will take to tune).

When Joe was talking about fudging number from "4K to 6K rpm, and above 75kPa", that's what I was referring to about multiplying those areas by 1.10 (10% increase). That usually makes you run safely rich up high when you go zinging it up to the moon. :thumb_yello: Then CALC.MAFT will dial you back down to where you need to be.

Yes same file- Why is my graph showing different in the same area

Cool looks like I need to run it to the moon soon lol

Update: I see it now in my graph- I adjusted it smaller

I will check rail pressure next

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/trxmxzx/lean%204%202740.png (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/trxmxzx/media/lean%204%202740.png.html)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/trxmxzx/Lean3%205760.png (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/trxmxzx/media/Lean3%205760.png.html)

Trxmxzx
May 1st, 2016, 03:02 AM
Got a electronic fuel pressure gauge yesterday from a friend- will be giving updates soon on pressures

Trxmxzx
May 17th, 2016, 12:03 PM
We are back at it- idle pressure

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/trxmxzx/Mobile%20Uploads/82811C22-3D0C-42F0-BA4E-5E2F976CB0D2.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/trxmxzx/media/Mobile%20Uploads/82811C22-3D0C-42F0-BA4E-5E2F976CB0D2.jpg.html)

Trxmxzx
May 18th, 2016, 04:02 AM
He took it for a drive last night no pressure drops, he's doing it again tonight to see if anything happens

if we don't get any results of pressure drops whats our next move?

joecar
May 18th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Ok, rail pressure is good (I take it you have an un-referenced FPR, I forgot already)...?

Next step: are all the injector tables correct...?

Trxmxzx
May 18th, 2016, 02:28 PM
The fuel pressure we never checked at first- then there was a lean spot while cruising at around 2000rpms and 20% TPS both O2 sensors showed extreme lean and WB showed 5.4 lambda which I didn't think it could go that high. I posted a pic of the graphs in previous page. Jet pointed it out. You also recommended to double check. (Just bringing you back up to speed seeing it's been 3-4 weeks)

It's the stock injectors for the 5.3 flex fuel that came on the truck from factory. We didn't change anything.

joecar
May 19th, 2016, 06:11 AM
Ok can you post a new log, or what Jetmech wants you to do...

Trxmxzx
May 20th, 2016, 03:46 AM
Ok no pressure drops in fuel
Here's one log its kind of lengthy

joecar
May 20th, 2016, 04:07 AM
Ok no pressure drops in fuel
Here's one log its kind of lengthy
That is pretty good...

there are 2 almost-WOT areas where WO2BEN goes above 1.05, see if you can fix this in MAF and/or VE (manually by hand).

LTFT's are close (not far from zero)... on closed throttle they wander a little but that's ok.

Trxmxzx
May 22nd, 2016, 01:25 AM
Are those lean spots where he hit his rev limiter? Due to stall converter? Fuel shut off

I need to adjust it in the settings and couldn't confirm the correct method- do I lower the desired rpm threshold about 1000rpm? For inbetween shifts?

joecar
May 22nd, 2016, 11:22 AM
Just increase the MAF a little in those spots, and try to blend the surroundings, then take a log and see if it does the same.

Trxmxzx
June 4th, 2016, 03:49 AM
Just increase the MAF a little in those spots, and try to blend the surroundings, then take a log and see if it does the same.

MAF is still shut off friend- or are you saying add more air in the MAF so I can go back to using it and take a log?!?

joecar
June 4th, 2016, 01:06 PM
MAF is still shut off friend- or are you saying add more air in the MAF so I can go back to using it and take a log?!?Ah, sorry, I meant raise VE a little in those spots, and see if they go away.

Trxmxzx
June 5th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Awesome ... I'll let you guys know soon

Trxmxzx
July 16th, 2016, 06:19 AM
where back at it

heres the tune file ive come up with

we had a little knock on the high rpm right before rev limiter at 5860 rpm and 72kpa I believe

what do you guys think? it was hard to keep it not jerky due to road conditions

Trxmxzx
July 17th, 2016, 12:53 PM
He has Dyno day setup July 27th I'd like to have mad turned on and all the other stuff.

What would be best to copy and paste be and maf table over to stock files- or undo all my mods to do the calc.maft

joecar
July 18th, 2016, 06:50 AM
where back at it

heres the tune file ive come up with

we had a little knock on the high rpm right before rev limiter at 5860 rpm and 72kpa I believe

what do you guys think? it was hard to keep it not jerky due to road conditionsIt's mostly good, a few places could be tighter, I see a few places where DFCO might be getting in the way...

how is throttle response...?

Trxmxzx
July 18th, 2016, 09:14 AM
It's mostly good, a few places could be tighter, I see a few places where DFCO might be getting in the way...

how is throttle response...?

Snappy- crisp I thought

When you say it could be tighter are you saying less spiky in the VE table?

joecar
July 18th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Snappy- crisp I thought

When you say it could be tighter are you saying less spiky in the VE table?There are some places where trims and/or WO2BEN are out a little further... might be due to DFCO being enabled... I'm still looking.

Throttle response being good like you said is an indicator that fueling is good which means VE and MAF are correct.

Trxmxzx
July 19th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Wonder if your seeing the part of when it up shifted when it was not supposed to!?! Had it in manual 1 and it went into 2nd twice on me when at light throttle going about 30mph

And me out of frustration letting off throttle quickly? For maybe dfco to come on

Trxmxzx
July 21st, 2016, 11:18 PM
So what would be best to get this thing running off the maf again and PE settings staying or switching back also?

Would it be best to copy over VE and maf to original? Then re adjust idle settings for cam.?

joecar
July 22nd, 2016, 08:04 AM
Try this: drive it some more, keep an eye on PE fueling, make sure it is always sufficiently rich.

Trxmxzx
August 2nd, 2016, 07:44 AM
Try this: drive it some more, keep an eye on PE fueling, make sure it is always sufficiently rich.

What I've noticed last time we drove it, it would show 12.7 afr in lower rpms until 4500 then 12.9 afr then around 5600 rpms before it shifted it would show 13.2-13.4

Is that area up high I need to tweek more in the ve to get the proper afr correct

I'm looking for 12.9 correct accross the rpm range. WOT

Sorry it take so long to get back We are busy busy with work and family life's we don't get much of a chance to get together and mess with his tune

joecar
August 2nd, 2016, 03:20 PM

Is that area up high I need to tweek more in the ve to get the proper afr correct

Yes, correct... disable MAF and CL/trims, and correct the VE directly from the wideband (be sure to apply the transient filter).

joecar
August 2nd, 2016, 03:21 PM
I understand about family and work, no worries.

Trxmxzx
August 4th, 2016, 02:33 PM
So I've been asked this question multiple times realizing I had no good answer

Could you give some insight? I know it's how you have to do it. Calculating how much airflow is important. Then computer will know how much fuel to add. That's where I get stuck on why, when MAF reads how much

If I'm going to be running MAF why am I correcting the VE table As a fail safe if MAF fails?