PDA

View Full Version : What are you using for RPM limiting with forced inductions?

turbo_bu
March 29th, 2016, 04:36 AM
EFILive has graciously provided COS to allow for 2 and 3 Bar MAP sensors for those running forced induction. The question that I have is what are you using for rev limiting on those setups (I am assuming that you are using a DBC setup)? Standard RPM limiter in an LS1B is to cut fuel .... which makes an engine go lean .... which is REALLY bad on a forced induction setup. Ideally we would want a spark cut.

Happy Jim
March 29th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Fuel cut = no combustion/no explosion and therefore no knock.
Spark cut = dumping unburnt fuel down the exhaust pipe towards your cat converters (a bad thing)

Cheers

Jim

turbo_bu
March 30th, 2016, 12:37 AM
I guess I should also add in asking about what those who are using nitrous also use for a rev limiter. I know standalone ignition systems, they use window switches. Not sure how those would work on a LS1B setup though.

turbo_bu
March 30th, 2016, 04:05 AM
Fuel cut = no combustion/no explosion and therefore no knock.
Spark cut = dumping unburnt fuel down the exhaust pipe towards your cat converters (a bad thing)

Cheers

Jim

In theory yes, but reality it is no. Turning off the fuel is a bad thing. At least one cylinder is gonna go lean while your trying to turn off the fuel to keep the RPM down.

Happy Jim
March 30th, 2016, 12:43 PM
In theory yes, but reality it is no. Turning off the fuel is a bad thing. At least one cylinder is gonna go lean while your trying to turn off the fuel to keep the RPM down.

Not really, it's like trying to bump start your car wth the fuel pump turned off - a valiant effort but ultimately pointless, but still no damage done!

I still wouldn't want to bounce off the limiter indefinitely (like a 2 step) but for the odd bounce it's fine.

Jim