PDA

View Full Version : 13 CTS V lean codes with d3 cold air and MAF module box

Rockabillyrat
April 7th, 2016, 12:42 AM
Got a 13 cts v in the shop. guy wanted D3 a cold air intake and the MAF module box installed. After the install I got lean codes on both banks at idle. Reinstalled factory parts and fuel trims are normal.

Any one have a stock tune file for a 2013 cts v 4 door wagon?

Also what do I need to tune for the CAI to work. Im new to gasoline tuning I usually stick with diesels.

Thank you!!

BoiseV
April 16th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Got a 13 cts v in the shop. guy wanted D3 a cold air intake and the MAF module box installed. After the install I got lean codes on both banks at idle. Reinstalled factory parts and fuel trims are normal.

Any one have a stock tune file for a 2013 cts v 4 door wagon?

Also what do I need to tune for the CAI to work. Im new to gasoline tuning I usually stick with diesels.

Thank you!!

If you are not on GM technet, you may be able to get a stock tune file from http://www.tunefiledepot.com/ if they can get a volunteer to add 2013, I see only up to 2012. Or a good soul out there with same car and EFILive will give you their stock backup. (The customer fiddled, or had somebody fiddle, with the stock tune? There should be a backup. One hopes.)
- - -

Sounds like the MAF tables would need to be re-modeled to factor more airflow per unit output of the sensor (Hz) toward commanded AFR calculation.
That is, the MAF is perhaps sending input that the ECM interprets as less air is entering the engine than actually is.
To compensate, closed-loop O2 feedback is driving trimming-up to make up for the lean condition, and if by more than some allowed % you get your codes.
If you turn off MAF feedback (or unplug MAF and turn of related PIDs) so it runs speed-density off VE tables instead of off MAF tables, and the CL trims are back to normal, there's your answer.

Mods affecting airflow are only plug-n-play if nothing is changed before or at the MAF sensor.
CAIs and anything that would change the location or orientation of the MAF sensor in the airstream can change how the sensor reads and therefore report the airflow compared to stock MAF configuration because air is flowing across the sensor in a different way than The General designed for (eg removing the intake silencers change the dynamics due to increased reversion pulses seen at the MAF).

The customer needs to be made to understand that any mystery combo of parts may require the cost/time of custom tuning to match the airflow changes that can only be determined through data logging and table fiddling (over and over).
MAFs are really great for accommodating modest airflow-increasing mods downstream of the MAF without tuning needed (but only to a point where VE is not changed much). But that cheat goes away when you mess with the MAF itself for the reasons noted above.
If customers know that, they might not be so cavalier about throwing parts at a car just for fun.

Hope that helps.