PDA

View Full Version : 1998 WS6, Need some help......

Dick
May 25th, 2006, 02:26 AM
I just took in a 1998 Transam WS6 for tuning which has a user installed (used) Vortech supercharger. The current tune is something from Hypertech for normally aspirated operation. The Hypertech programming tool is not available, so restoring the original OS/Tune is not viable. The customer has a SuperChips programmer that was originally supplied by Vortech for a 1999 GM "something or other". Vortech will only supply tuning to the original purchaser at the time of purchase and tuning is not available separately to subsequent users.

Here is what I know about the ECU:
ECU Part # 16238212
Cal ID 9352311 Per EFILive Scan
Cal Part # 9352311 Per GM Cal ID site
Cal ID 9352096 Per GM Cal ID site
Replaced by (PN/ID) 9365981/9365942, then 9379375621/9375577

As I understand, no Custom OS is available for the 1998, so short of that, I would like to get back to the stock OS and Calibration as a starting point. I have not been able to find those anywhere, other then one x.LS1 file which I cannot read. Does anyone here have, or can point me to a full "stock" calibration?

This might be a question for Paul or Ross, EFILive lists the 1998 WS6 as a supported vehicle, but none of the numbers listed above match any of the numbers in the supported OS's. The Scan Tool reports the OS as 19980100, but also has a message that it cannot positively ID the OS and has made that "assumption". Am I missing something?

Unfortunately, the customer bought the Vortech used and incomplete (EBay?). Where parts were missing, he substituted other parts, i.e. the Bypass/Blowoff valve which has no visible identification or nomenclature. As it sets, idle hunts anyplace from 400 to 1600 RPM with A/F going from one extreme to the other. On the road, the customer reports that he cannot get much over 3000 RPM at which point it exhausts prodigious quantities of black soot. This is also evident while just "blipping" the throttle in the shop. I sure would like to know what is in the Vortech supplied programmer. At this point, things are so far out, that we have not even bothered to strap it to the dyno or even install the wideband.

If I recall correctly, there were (are) members who have done an installation like this. Would anyone care to share what they did to accomplish the tune successfully? Comments or suggestions from anyone who is interested are welcome

Regards,
Dick

foff667
May 25th, 2006, 02:51 AM
sounds like more mechanical issues then anything...as far as the file goes check horist's site...most are in bin format & can be read just fine with efilive.

Black LS1 T/A
May 25th, 2006, 03:15 AM
I have a stock 1998 Trans AM (not WS6). A4 Tranny.
My OS is 19980100.

Black LS1 T/A
May 25th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Black soot .. very rich.

I also have a Superchips Programmer I never sold. I did sell my Hypertech back in the day. I have the .tun for my stock config and a .LS1 file from my Hypertech and Superchips. I don't know if there was some lock that kept something from being read.

Dick
May 25th, 2006, 03:02 PM
sounds like more mechanical issues then anything...as far as the file goes check horist's site...most are in bin format & can be read just fine with efilive.

Ours is a depressed economic area and we seem to get more then our share of jobs that were DIY basket cases the day before they arrive here. We often struggle with how to satisfactorily address them.

Horist did have a file, but the link was broken. Until I saw your comment, it never crossed my mind to let him know and maybe he'll fix it. Sometimes the obvious eludes us. Thanks for the prompt.

Regards,
Dick

Dick
May 25th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Black soot .. very rich.

I also have a Superchips Programmer I never sold. I did sell my Hypertech back in the day. I have the .tun for my stock config and a .LS1 file from my Hypertech and Superchips. I don't know if there was some lock that kept something from being read.
Well, soot wasn't really accurate, it is more like heavy coal dust. No doubt about it being rich!

I was just looking at your Website and you are putting down some nice numbers. I picked up on your activity at Dunn/Benson and it made me think of Raleigh. We were there for four years a short time ago. We spent nearly every weekend at Piedmont, except for when there were big meets at the Rock. Never missed one. My wife is particularly fond of the Rock, because she got checked out for driving dragsters there.

Regards,
Dick

Dick
May 25th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I have a stock 1998 Trans AM (not WS6). A4 Tranny.
My OS is 19980100.
Thanks for passing that on. It "seems" to be the prevalent OS for F-bodies in that year.

You mentioned in your other post that you still have the stock .tun file. Is there any possibility you might share that?

Regards,
Dick

foff667
May 26th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Ours is a depressed economic area and we seem to get more then our share of jobs that were DIY basket cases the day before they arrive here. We often struggle with how to satisfactorily address them.

huh? anywayz the reason i say its probably more mechanical is that the computer will always try to achieve 14.7:1 and for the most part it does a pretty good job blowing black soot out of th eback of the exhaust for no obvious reason points me in th edirection of physical issues rather then pcm issues.

Dick
May 26th, 2006, 01:16 AM
huh? anywayz the reason i say its probably more mechanical is that the computer will always try to achieve 14.7:1 and for the most part it does a pretty good job blowing black soot out of th eback of the exhaust for no obvious reason points me in th edirection of physical issues rather then pcm issues.
Sorry for the confusion. The statement was a response to your comment re mechanical condition. Many of the tunes we quote turn out have mechanical problems because the owners cannot afford a correct installation. As a result, we often spend as much time fixing as we do tuning. This customer has made numerous changes that he did not think important to mention, or did not know the specifics. He is not uncooperative, he just does not know.

Your statement about the ECU and 14.7 etc is absolutely correct, as the owner had installed 42# injectors. My real desire at this point is to get a stock calibration as a starting point.

Regards,
Dick

foff667
May 26th, 2006, 01:50 AM
ok, were you ever able to find one? If not I'll see what I can come up with tonight when I get home...I left my flash drive there today :(

Dick
May 26th, 2006, 03:47 AM
ok, were you ever able to find one? If not I'll see what I can come up with tonight when I get home...I left my flash drive there today :(
No, I haven't. There is one listed on the Horist site, but is not reachable. I left a note to him, but have no idea if he is currently active. If you have something at home, it would be appreciated. Thank you for offering.

Regards,
Dick

Doc
May 27th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Hey man, Check this out....

http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/stockTunes.php

Dick
May 27th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Hey man, Check this out....

http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/stockTunes.php

Thanks Doc, but that was the first place I checked. No Pontiac 1998's.

Regards,
Dick

Ninety8C5
May 27th, 2006, 09:52 AM
I have EFILive files for a 98 Camaro A4 or M6, HPTuners files for a stock 98 Camaro or Firebird and a stock EFILive tune from a friends 98 TransAm A4 with 2.73 rear. I'm not sure what the rear end ratio is in the other files.

Let me know if you are interested and an email to send it/them to.

foff667
May 28th, 2006, 03:44 AM
looks like I only currently have 98 camaros in my arsenal :(

1998ws6
May 28th, 2006, 08:22 AM
If it should have the xxx5577 as the latest OS, (6 speed, 160mph speedlimiter) I can send you a stock file from my car.

post an e-mail address, and I'll send you either a .bin or .tun depending on what i have in my stock tune directory.

Ryan

Dick
May 28th, 2006, 08:55 AM
looks like I only currently have 98 camaros in my arsenal :(

Thanks for taking the time to check.

Regards,
Dick

Dick
May 28th, 2006, 09:12 AM
If it should have the xxx5577 as the latest OS, (6 speed, 160mph speedlimiter) I can send you a stock file from my car.

post an e-mail address, and I'll send you either a .bin or .tun depending on what i have in my stock tune directory.

Ryan
Yes, that is the exact one I was hoping to find. If you don't mind, I would really appreciate a copy. Thank you for offering.

Regards,
Dick

Dick@DynoServe.Com (Dick@DynoServe.Com)

1998ws6
May 28th, 2006, 09:22 AM
File sent.

Ryan

Black LS1 T/A
June 1st, 2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks for passing that on. It "seems" to be the prevalent OS for F-bodies in that year.

You mentioned in your other post that you still have the stock .tun file. Is there any possibility you might share that?

Regards,
Dick

Absolutely! :)

Give me your emil addy ...

Black LS1 T/A
June 1st, 2006, 11:12 PM
Absolutely! :)

Give me your emil addy ...

I just saw your email and someone else helping.
I still sent it...