PDA

View Full Version : Finding the key for an LS2Edit E67 from the original *.LS2 files.

required field
April 14th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Hi,
I've just started making the switch from LS2Edit to EFILive, and am currently running a LS3 via an E67 that has a '09 CTS-V OS in a swapped car.
I'm actually the original tuner, have all the cables & dongles and the .LS2 files used to program the ECM. I don't have a "stock" tune to reprogram it with, as the ECM was supplied by Carputing with the base of my current tune already installed!

I definitely didn't intentionally lock the ECM, and I can't find any lock/unlock options in LS2Edit.

I was really hoping to start from the LS2Edit tune already in the car because it's already running the car well, I just switched over because the other software is a bit clunky!

Unfortunately, EFILive can't read the ECM, because of whatever key is stored off by LS2Edit.

Has anybody managed to find where to extract the key from either an .LS2 file, or a datalog of the ECM<->Programmer communications LS2Prog can generate?

The existing ECM is a bit of a brick if I can't use it with EFILive, and it turns out my spare E67 isn't compatible with the '09 CTS-V OS. If I can avoid buying another E67, and starting from scratch, I'd love to.

GMPX
April 14th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I wasn't aware that LS2Edit locked the ECM's from other software, I am only going on what I knew of them back in the LS1Edit days when a 'lock' really only stopped other LS1Edit users.

required field
April 15th, 2016, 05:14 AM
Definitely locked, I tried the "Try Alt Keys" option, and also "Assume Lock May Be Faulty" after an initial read failed.
I only tried them together, though. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding their usage though, and should try them independently?

I've also got a bench harness, if trying to read outside the car could impact the success here.

required field
April 15th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Hmmm...
Perhaps I spoke too soon.

Burned a license to re-program it with the calibration I just read out of it, and every time, even with a full flash, I get an error:
"Script exited with code $06FF: Checksum failure."

Original ECM read:
Engine Operation 12633849 $A927B051

Read after the checksum failure:
Engine Operation 12633849 $414B4215 Checksum invalid.

I've attached the file I was trying to write if someone is interested in taking a look.
This was a working calibration beforehand, and EFILive's editor seemed to be happy with it,

GMPX
April 16th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Use this file from now on, they did something silly to trick the checksums.

required field
April 16th, 2016, 11:56 AM
That was perfect! Writes & runs the car just like it did with the original LS2Edit calibration.

Thanks for the help!

Is correcting the checksum calculation something I can do within the EFILive editor?
I was going to help another guy with a similar setup move to something a bit more modern, but I don't want to keep bothering you.

If not, I guess I can read it and use the file you provided me as a c&p target for all the tables.

ScarabEpic22
April 17th, 2016, 02:43 AM
That was perfect! Writes & runs the car just like it did with the original LS2Edit calibration.

Thanks for the help!

Is correcting the checksum calculation something I can do within the EFILive editor?
I was going to help another guy with a similar setup move to something a bit more modern, but I don't want to keep bothering you.

If not, I guess I can read it and use the file you provided me as a c&p target for all the tables.

Can't speak for additional requests, but check out the scripting function within V7.5 Tune tool. If you have a stock file and the current tune, you can create a script file that copies the differences into a plain text file (table #s, values). Makes sure the units are the same on both files, then run the script against whichever file you want and the changes will be copied over. Makes moving large amounts of changes between files MUCH easier.

GMPX
April 17th, 2016, 08:46 AM
Yes, but it may not have been in there for that OS. It would normally be under Operating System Patches.

required field
April 18th, 2016, 05:23 AM
To confirm, you're not referring to the "force checksums to be correct" option, right?
From the docs, that sounds like a solution to a different problem.

Just for my own understanding, with the file I posted, were the failed writes due to the ECM rejecting the incoming data, or was the flash software trying to 'protect' me from flashing an abnormal few segments? (If the latter, I totally get it, and I appreciate efforts to prevent bricking of ECMs!)

MobileProg
April 18th, 2016, 06:55 AM
If its an issue just compare to stock and save the differences as a script as mentioned. Then apply to a clean file.

required field
April 19th, 2016, 03:44 AM
Scarab, Mobile, I appreciate that. I actually don't have a "stock" tune. I don't even know what car the tune I'm using is based on, and the OS isn't in the compatibility list, so I wouldn't even know which e67 ECMs might be safe to flash this into beyond ones already running it!

I'm just trying to get a fuller understanding of what's going on in the file I originally read out, as well as become certain I can safely get another otherwise unusable ECM onto some more user-friendly software!

ScarabEpic22
April 19th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Interesting fact, just opened the tune Ross posted up of yours that's fixed in V8. No VIN was shown. Opened in V7.5 and I got a valid VIN...

Looks like it's out of a Pontiac Solstice 2.4L 5MT car.

So Ross, is there something going on here?

required field
April 19th, 2016, 08:51 AM
That is the chassis, but that is not the drivetrain.

GMPX
April 19th, 2016, 09:36 AM
So Ross, is there something going on here?
As far as the VIN not showing in V8? Yes the VIN detection is different between V7 and V8, to fix his file a lot of info was lost from the original ctz which is why it shows as blank when re-loaded.

required field
April 19th, 2016, 10:18 AM
As far as the VIN not showing in V8? Yes the VIN detection is different between V7 and V8, to fix his file a lot of info was lost from the original ctz which is why it shows as blank when re-loaded.

Oh, that's interesting. I really don't want to be taking up all of your time here, Ross, and I certainly don't expect EFILive to build out any special support for the calibration in my ECM, but what kind of info got lost in the conversion? Stuff I need to re-tune or OS behavior?

The car this is in is partially disassembled in preparation for an engine replacement, but the old program was a bit unique (and I don't know if this is accurate or true) in that it allowed the ECM to run an LS-motor while playing nice with the chassis BCM and EBC (for traction and stability control). Maybe this isn't as unique as I've been lead to believe, but an alternative ECM running a GMPP crate motor program was definitely not up to dealing with traction/stability control interactions.

GMPX
April 19th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Oh, that's interesting. I really don't want to be taking up all of your time here, Ross, and I certainly don't expect EFILive to build out any special support for the calibration in my ECM, but what kind of info got lost in the conversion?
Nothing got 'lost' from the ECM portion of the file, some meta data in the ctz only, nothing to worry about.

required field
April 19th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Thanks for clarifying! I appreciate the time you've spent on this.

ScarabEpic22
April 20th, 2016, 04:17 AM
That is the chassis, but that is not the drivetrain.

Gotcha, reread your first post that this has a swapped engine from a CTS-V. Got confused when you said you dont know what car it's based on, it looks like your Solstice OS has been merged (or patched) with a LSA V8 engine segment. Unfortunately without knowing who the original cal came from and/or what they did to make it work, it makes things a bit tricky (which is why you're in this!).

Got it, just figured I'd call it out. :)

required field
April 20th, 2016, 04:22 AM
Gotcha, reread your first post that this has a swapped engine from a CTS-V. Got confused when you said you dont know what car it's based on, it looks like your Solstice OS has been merged (or patched) with a LSA V8 engine segment. Unfortunately without knowing who the original cal came from and/or what they did to make it work, it makes things a bit tricky (which is why you're in this!).

The source of the ECM and it's pre-loaded calibration isn't particularly interested in enabling a switch to a competing tuning product, but that software was costing me a lot in extra dyno time.