PDA

View Full Version : problem with serial number, cant flash a PCM

400ss
April 19th, 2016, 05:16 PM
1 of my customers removed the performance parts of this car, wanted me to retune it, i told him to take the car to the dealer and flash the stock tune,, he did it, he took the pcm to me, i only changued the injectors parameters so he could drive the truck to my shop, today i tried to tune the truck but when i try to flash the pcm, it says i dont have licensed the pcm,, and the PCM has a serial number that is different than the others i have seen, it starts with EF...... i searched and looks like tech 2 changued the serial to 0000000 and efilive assigned a new serial number?? but now i cant flash the pcm, can i recover that license? or what do i need to do?

joecar
April 19th, 2016, 05:40 PM
What are you flashing with, V7 or V8...?

What are your V7 and V8 build versions...?

400ss
April 19th, 2016, 06:29 PM
What are you flashing with, V7 or V8...?

What are your V7 and V8 build versions...?

Tried with v7 and v8, and just updated all to see if that was the problem but stills the same

Taz
April 20th, 2016, 01:30 AM
Hello 400ss,

With the 512Kb or 1MB PCMs, if there is a problem with an SPS / TIS flash, generally the PCM is bricked. I don’t think that I have ever seen an SPS / TIS flash alter the PCM’s unique Serial Number.

It is more likely that the PCM has been flashed with another tuning software - which can sometimes destroy the PCM’s unique Serial Number.

When you encounter a PCM without a valid Serial Number (often all zeros - 0000000000), EFILive will allow one flash of the PCM (without a VIN license) which will program it with a new (randomly generated) Serial Number.

After this flash, you will then need to license the PCM to flash it again.

400ss
April 20th, 2016, 04:51 AM
Hello 400ss,

With the 512Kb or 1MB PCMs, if there is a problem with an SPS / TIS flash, generally the PCM is bricked. I don’t think that I have ever seen an SPS / TIS flash alter the PCM’s unique Serial Number.

It is more likely that the PCM has been flashed with another tuning software - which can sometimes destroy the PCM’s unique Serial Number.

When you encounter a PCM without a valid Serial Number (often all zeros - 0000000000), EFILive will allow one flash of the PCM (without a VIN license) which will program it with a new (randomly generated) Serial Number.

After this flash, you will then need to license the PCM to flash it again.

sounds exactly what happened here,, but the pcm was flashed with stock VIN with tech2, and i dont think it is bricked,,, and im sure it wasnt flashed with another tuning software,, what i dont understand is why it lost its serial number... anyways, what are my options? do i need to buy another license or is a way to recover the one that was already on the PCM

Taz
April 20th, 2016, 06:19 AM
... do i need to buy another license ...

Yes.

... is a way to recover the one that was already on the PCM ...

No. It was overwritten by another software (and destroyed in the process), and then overwritten again by EFILive - to fix the missing Serial Number issue.

400ss
April 20th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Yes.

No. It was overwritten by another software (and destroyed in the process), and then overwritten again by EFILive - to fix the missing Serial Number issue.

another software may be tech2?

thanks for the help

Taz
April 20th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Yes - I used the term "software" which would include any non-EFILive product, including a Tech 2 (SPS / TIS).

GMPX
April 20th, 2016, 09:06 AM
If you have the invoice from the dealing showing they flashed it with TIS then we can probably replace the license. (send support@efilive.com an Email).
I haven't seen this happen on the LS1 PCM, but it is quite common with the LB7 Duramax ECM that after a visit to the dealer they loose the VIN, Serial etc.