PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Trans AM LT1 idle problems.

CJLT1
April 28th, 2016, 02:53 AM
Hello!

I just bought this car and have been experiencing terrible idle problems. It is running really Lean/smelly and stalling out when putting it in gear. I tend to have to wait until the water temp gets up to 180 before it will drive without stalling. I took it to my local shop and they had it for almost 2 weeks. The guys said i need to go get a tune and it will clear it up. The problem is, NO ONE, I mean no one will tune an LT1... So I need to figure out how to do this myself.

Here are the parts the guy put on before me:

Heads, Pressure tested/ glass bead/ competition valve job. set spring height/ resurfaced.
-Comp, Cam Extreme Energy 276/ hydraulic roller lifters/ pushrods/ rockers/ springs
-New MSD wires all around + New spark plugs.
-Ignition
-New Idle control
- Edelbrock Throttle Body
-Motive Gear 3.73
-Pro Form Perfect launch diff cover
-New EV6 High flow 30lbs injector
-Strut tower brace

I really don't know what to do and hope someone can help. I am in the Chicagoland area.

joecar
April 28th, 2016, 03:12 AM
You mean LT1 as in gen 4.1 F-car...

what software do you currently use...?

Taz
April 28th, 2016, 03:18 AM
No one here, nor on the HP Tuners website, will be able to help out directly. Neither EFILive nor HP Tuners supports the LT1 PCM.

If you want to try and tune this PCM yourself, you could purchase Jet DST or LT1Edit, and then learn as you go.

You may want to retain the services of a reputable professional tuner, but you won't find that all of them are able to tune your PCM - only those with the software named above, or someone with an old copy of Tunercat (which is no longer available).

You may want to consider upgrading the PCM to an LS1 style (often referred to as an 0411 conversion) - which would open up tuning options to include EFILive or HP Tuners. There is a lot of information on the 0411 upgrade on the internet.