PDA

View Full Version : Calc.MAFT and odd results

tenpaiyomi
April 30th, 2016, 01:26 PM
I went through the Calc.MAFT setup and have been using it to tune for my cam. Overall it's worked fairly well to get a general tune, but it seems like my commanded AFR is either off, or EFILive thinks that the actual AFR that my wideband is off (though the handheld is showing the proper value). Essentially, I will have areas, say low speed cruising, where the AFR is 13.5-14.0, and one spot right at 2000 RPMS where it goes super lean, 16.5-16.9. I will let Calc.MAFT do the logging and all, and the end result is 1.0, basically it thinks that the AFR reading is spot on.

I can fine tune it, but trying to do this on a cell by cell basis in the B0101 is tedious. Anything I might be missing? Keep in mind I literally have just started learning, so this is a step by step process for me.

Thanks in advance!

joecar
April 30th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Post tune file and log files...

what year/model/vehicle...?
what mods (and cam specs)...?

It might be easier to do Calc.VET.

Jetmech442
April 30th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Just curious, did it happen at 25 kpa?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

tenpaiyomi
May 1st, 2016, 04:19 AM
Post tune file and log files...

what year/model/vehicle...?
what mods (and cam specs)...?

It might be easier to do Calc.VET.

03 Honda S2000
99-02 5.7 LS1
TSP 228r Cam, 228/228 .600"/.600", 114 LSA
Ported throttle body, LTs, ORX

Don't have any logs right now. I generally would drive around some, stop, get the data, paste and multiply, then clear the data and drive around some more. Rinse, repeat. I'll save a few logs on the next run.

Here is the current tune. I did the basic modifications from the idle thread to help get a steady idle, and I changed B0101 right around where the lean spike was happening to try and smooth that out since it was causing the car to stutter whenever it happened. Past that, it is all modifications from the Calc.MAFT.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2795455/Modified.ctz

My biggest concern is that, for example this morning, driving around on the interstate, 70-80mph, partial throttle (5-10%), not accelerating, just cruising, and I'm sitting at 13.0.

I could do the Calc.VET, though I would have to go about re-enabling/re-installing the MAF. Do you believe it would produce better results?

Around the 25-35kpa range, yes.

Happy Jim
May 1st, 2016, 04:39 AM
25 - 35 KPA would see you in Vacuem (over run) so a lean spike in that range would normally equal either a manifold leak or DFCO left active (assuming nothing odd in the tune if course).

LS in an S2000 - Sweet! That must be a hoot :-)

Jim

tenpaiyomi
May 1st, 2016, 04:43 AM
25 - 35 KPA would see you in Vacuem (over run) so a lean spike in that range would normally equal either a manifold leak or DFCO left active (assuming nothing odd in the tune if course).

LS in an S2000 - Sweet! That must be a hoot :-)

Jim

I haven't actually messed with anything regarding DFCO, so not sure. I could be mistaken on the kPA range, I was just going (off hand, right now) on where the odd spot in the B0101 map was (a large jump from the surrounding cells). I'm working on setting up CALC.VET to do some runs with it and see how it works out.

And yeah, it is quite fun :D

joecar
May 1st, 2016, 08:09 AM
Post pics of your engine bay, I want to see the MAF plumbing and air filter arrangement.

joecar
May 1st, 2016, 08:10 AM
LS1 in an S2000 :cheers: it now has all of its cylinders :tongue:

statesman
May 1st, 2016, 10:14 AM

LOL. :laugh:

tenpaiyomi
May 2nd, 2016, 03:28 AM
Post pics of your engine bay, I want to see the MAF plumbing and air filter arrangement.

Speed Density Setup

MAF Setup

I went with the SD setup because I was told that the 90* bend would be bad for performance overall. Eventual plan is to angle the radiator forward and run the intake over and in front of the rad with a 45* bend.

Also, the Calc.VET setup has worked much better. There are still a few areas where it *feels* like I might have a slight hiccup or so, but no KR readings. It feels nice and strong when I get on it, though I know that more power can be pulled out when I can take it to the tuner to get it on the dyno. I've also noticed that throttle response feels a sluggish compared to before.

joecar
May 2nd, 2016, 09:41 AM
Ok, MAF setup has MAF right after air filter, this will cause problems (air coming past the filter is not going straight).

Ok, go with SD... in this case do Calc.MAFT and ignore the MAF calculation (unless you want to paste in the MAF calculation just for completeness sake).

joecar
May 2nd, 2016, 09:47 AM
Good job :cheers: you fit it so nicely it looks like it came stock like this.

tenpaiyomi
May 2nd, 2016, 10:21 AM
Ok, MAF setup has MAF right after air filter, this will cause problems (air coming past the filter is not going straight).

Ok, go with SD... in this case do Calc.MAFT and ignore the MAF calculation (unless you want to paste in the MAF calculation just for completeness sake).

Will do. Thanks for the feedback and the compliments!

joecar
May 3rd, 2016, 11:06 AM
Which transmission and rear axle did you use...?

Did you have to modify the transmission tunnel...?

tenpaiyomi
May 3rd, 2016, 11:08 AM
Which transmission and rear axle did you use...?

Did you have to modify the transmission tunnel...?

T56, I started with the stock S2000 rear end but then I upgraded to an R200 rear end. No modification of the transmission tunnel outside of a little light massaging here and there.

joecar
May 3rd, 2016, 11:44 AM
My friend at work suggested that you now have a Honda S5700, lol.

Jetmech442
May 3rd, 2016, 11:47 AM
Hahahaha. Dude, you gotta get an s5700 badge made for the door panels.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tenpaiyomi
May 3rd, 2016, 01:23 PM

Hahahaha. Dude, you gotta get an s5700 badge made for the door panels.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Love it. I need to find somewhere that would be willing to make me a couple without breaking the bank, lol.

Trxmxzx
May 4th, 2016, 12:43 PM

sounds familiar like the 2005 Tahoe doesn't it jetmech- same area where we see the extreme lean conditions

Jetmech442
May 5th, 2016, 12:35 AM
Yeah it does, a log would help to differentiate it,it's weird how it happens in your tahoo like it does and then to hear of something else really similar seems very coincidental...