PDA

View Full Version : basic tune question

lsx_production
May 14th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Soon I will be trying my hand at tuning a 2012 L99 camaro auto that just has exhaust and afm/vvt cam swap. This will be my first time tuning a GM gas vehicle but not my first time tuning. Is there a good guide to follow since what I have been searching around this forum and on google just has info on the gen 3 stuff. Thanks

joecar
May 14th, 2016, 06:29 PM
There's a VVE tuning totorial, let me find a link to it...

( the Gen III stuff still aplies, just the table id's are different )

lsx_production
May 14th, 2016, 07:23 PM
ok, is all I need to tune is fuel? I feel like this is much more simple than what I usually get into...

joecar
May 15th, 2016, 07:06 AM
See the 2 .pdf's attached to post #1 here (see under EDIT: links to final form): E38-VVE-Setup-Guide (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?8961-E38-VVE-Setup-Guide)

joecar
May 15th, 2016, 07:07 AM
ok, is all I need to tune is fuel? I feel like this is much more simple than what I usually get into...You correct airmass (i.e. VE/VVE and/or MAF)...

and then whatever fuel EQR you want to command will show up on the wideband measurements.

lsx_production
May 15th, 2016, 07:50 AM
ok thank you. If I had to move from stock size maf to another type how would that influence the tuning workflow?

lsx_production
May 15th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I just read in the tutorial that efilive doesnt support cam phasing for VVT. Is this still the case or is that old info? ill assume not since no one has said anything from my initial post

joecar
May 15th, 2016, 10:28 AM
ok thank you. If I had to move from stock size maf to another type how would that influence the tuning workflow?You would now have to correct the MAF table (B1097, B1098 and/or B1099) using wideband measurement.

joecar
May 15th, 2016, 10:29 AM
I just read in the tutorial that efilive doesnt support cam phasing for VVT. Is this still the case or is that old info? ill assume not since no one has said anything from my initial postYou would have to park VVT at zero (i.e. disabled) and tune VE/VVE from there.

To tune VE/VVE with VVT is a huge 4-D matrix... i.e. at every step of VVT you would need a VVE.

lsx_production
May 25th, 2016, 11:45 AM
ok, so if i am just installing a cam and headers all i really need to adjust is VVE since the maf housing is not being changed at all correct? Is it ok to just run off of speed density and keep the MAF off so i dont have to reenable everything and worry about another sensor throwing off fuel trims?

joecar
May 26th, 2016, 02:11 AM
Yes, make sure a MAF DTC shows up.

Also, you will need to disable CL/LTFT/STFT while correcting VE/VVE.

lsx_production
May 26th, 2016, 04:24 AM
Yes, make sure a MAF DTC shows up.

Also, you will need to disable CL/LTFT/STFT while correcting VE/VVE.

Sorry I didnt explain very clearly. Can I leave MAF off and drive it around without a problem is what I am asking AFTER tuning the VVE and just throw the MAF sensor in the trash and just keep the temp sensor?

joecar
May 26th, 2016, 05:16 AM
Yes, you can leave MAF off, but make sure you get a MAF DTC... if you don't get a MAF DTC then ECM may be still using MAF (it compute's what it should read, but it'll be wrong).

IOW: a MAF DTC tells the ECM to use only VE.

In some cases, tuning with boost, the MAF has been found to cause other problems (that can't be fixed in the throttle sanity tables).

When you leave MAF off, make sure transmission is still functioning correctly.

lsx_production
May 26th, 2016, 08:56 AM
ok If I wanted to turn it back on and once completing tuning what parameters do I have to reverse exactly? I've heard that the motor runs better with it enabled. Wanted to see if you can either confirm or deny that. Thanks for all the help so far Joecar.

Here is my first go with a basemap reflash. I put the phaser numbers in there for the cam I am swapping for the same vehicle I am currently working the transmission on as well as catless full exhaust and drop in filter.

base map is from the suppository as well so ill just transfer all the changes on my friends rom as soon as I can read it. I just disabled some things I felt were unnecessary and made the changes from the 1.9 vve guide. Thanks for looking and giving me pointers. I really do appreciate it

joecar
May 26th, 2016, 12:22 PM
ok If I wanted to turn it back on and once completing tuning what parameters do I have to reverse exactly? I've heard that the motor runs better with it enabled. Wanted to see if you can either confirm or deny that. Thanks for all the help so far Joecar.It goes either way, it depends how good the MAF tables and the VE coefficients are.

Here is my first go with a basemap reflash. I put the phaser numbers in there for the cam I am swapping for the same vehicle I am currently working the transmission on as well as catless full exhaust and drop in filter.

base map is from the suppository as well so ill just transfer all the changes on my friends rom as soon as I can read it. I just disabled some things I felt were unnecessary and made the changes from the 1.9 vve guide. Thanks for looking and giving me pointers. I really do appreciate itThe 1.9 VVE guide is good, I was going to point you to it.

joecar
May 26th, 2016, 12:34 PM
2013 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Automatic L99 6.2 Litre ENG (12653674)_0001.ctz (https://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19713&d=1464299826)

B0156: 4%TP is too easy to trigger PE, I would set it to 60% below 3000 rpm and 30% above.

B0169, B0170: the bigger the number the faster the rate (or so I understand).

C6001: set P0101,2,3 to 1-Trip.

C0301,3: set these to 1.

I did not finish looking at everything.

lsx_production
May 27th, 2016, 02:51 AM
ok, ill just make those changes and roll with that. thanks