PDA

View Full Version : AEM X-Series OBDII Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Controller Gauge

Gelf VXR
May 24th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Can efilive log the WB data thru the OBDII connector? Also will it support 2 WB's? It says it will following the link

http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=products/gauges/digital-gauges/x-series-wideband-uego-OBDII

The AEM response time is about 20ms in the attached table, LC-1 37ms and the LC-2 85ms

I wonder if innovate will go this route. I was a little surprised to see the LC-2 T63 response time was a lot slower than the LC-1.

Tre-Cool
May 24th, 2016, 11:01 PM
it still uses the same data protocol as the older ones so yes they do work.

the 4.9 sensors absolutely shit all over the 4.2s for data collection.

joecar
May 24th, 2016, 11:47 PM
FSV2 logs directly from the WB, not via CAN LAN/bus.

If the WB is on the CAN LAN/bus (i.e. and has an id), then I can imagine FSV2 would have the capability to read pids from it, but at present EFILive only reads pids from PCM, ECM and TCM.

Gelf VXR
May 25th, 2016, 10:04 AM
FSV2 logs directly from the WB, not via CAN LAN/bus.

If the WB is on the CAN LAN/bus (i.e. and has an id), then I can imagine FSV2 would have the capability to read pids from it, but at present EFILive only reads pids from PCM, ECM and TCM.

Yes I believe that's how HP is logging thru the obdii, uses standard I'd

Gelf VXR
May 25th, 2016, 10:18 AM
The lc-2 uses the 4.9, lc-1 the 4.2 and it's faster, the aem uses 4.9 and it's faster than the lc-1, Innovate have some catching up to do.

Also HPT when used with aem over the can bus can poll 100hz, serial connection polls 10hz I believe?

Tre-Cool
May 25th, 2016, 09:44 PM
i asked for the capability to get the canbus data and got shot down. at least for now.

joecar
May 26th, 2016, 03:37 AM
I linked Paul to this thread.

joecar
May 26th, 2016, 03:38 AM
The lc-2 uses the 4.9, lc-1 the 4.2 and it's faster, the aem uses 4.9 and it's faster than the lc-1, Innovate have some catching up to do.

Also HPT when used with aem over the can bus can poll 100hz, serial connection polls 10hz I believe?I thought FSV2 can read the serial comm at the same rate as the pid logging, i.e. 10Hz for LS1, 40Hz for E38/E67.

Gelf VXR
May 26th, 2016, 09:56 AM
The polling rate is what has peaked my interest, between serial or Canbus and the FSV2 and between FSV2 and the PC?

Can FSV2 softwares support Can bus 100hz polling?

Here is a post made by Dr.Mike on the other forum, he appears very knowledgable and tests Lambda WB performance, worth while reading any of his forum posts.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?55546-AEM-30-0300-Wideband-with-direct-CAN-integration-W-VCMScanner-Need-beta-testers

Hi all.

I have just finished up a re-flash mod for the new AEM 30-0300 "X-Series" gauges. It swaps out the AEM CAN data format for an OBDII/PID interface that works directly with VCMScanner 3.0.

Basic features.

1. The Lambda data shows up just as if the car was equipped with it from the factory, as PID 0x24 through PID 0x2B.
2. It has been tested with the new 3.0 release of VCMScanner at the full 100Hz ( 10ms ) polling rate.
3. VCMScanner supports its free-air calibration controls.
4. No voltage offset and scaling issues. No analog noise.
5. The gauge is actually designed to produce data at 500Hz. So at the max 100Hz rate, you are getting real data.

I am looking for a couple of beta testers. If you send me your 30-0300 ( just the gauge), I will flash the mod'ed firmware onto it and send it back.

It does need to be wired into the existing OBDII port wiring. But, that's not so bad For non-CANBus cars, you will need to use an OBDII splitter cable ; since the OBDII CANBus pins will not be present in the vehicle's connector shell.

PM me, if interested in trying it out.

Tre-Cool
May 27th, 2016, 02:19 AM
i've just ordered 3 of the new aem's for my own cars. so im happy to help test out.

Gelf VXR
May 28th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Innovates LC-1 controller with 4.2 lsu response speed is 200-300hz, the serial out is 12hz, so that all efilive can poll, canbus seems to be the way forward, can bus can be variable upto 200hz following this information about OBD2.

http://www.dewamerica.com/downloads/manuals/software/DS-OPT-OBDII_Manual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Innovative Motorsports
The LC-1 samples internally with the highest speed the sensor itself can sustain, controlled by the sensor's internal response time. This is about 200-300 Hz(200-300 times a second) on the LC-1. This is also the update rate of the analog outs in instant mode.
When set for example to 1/12th, the LC-1 sums together all samples for a 1/12th second period and counts the number of samples summed so far. When a 1/12th second period has passed, it divides the collected sum by the number of samples collected and outputs that value, which is then the average value over 1/12th second, on the analog outs and resets the sum and counter for the next 1/12th second period. As the logging speed on the serial port is also 12Hz, what's logged is also that average over 1/12th. With 1/6th speed the average over two 1/12th periods is output every 1/6th second. With 1/3rd speed the average over four 1/12th periods is output every 1/3rd second'

Is this on the list of things to update to EfiLive?

Gelf VXR
May 29th, 2016, 06:02 PM
FSV2 V8 software has two options for logging, CAN or VPW, whats the difference?

I can see three options, slow medium and fast (10

Gelf VXR
May 29th, 2016, 06:14 PM
Whats the difference between V7.5 stream fast and V8 fast can scan modes?

joecar
May 30th, 2016, 05:48 AM
fsv2 v8 software has two options for logging, can or vpw, whats the difference?

can = e38, e39, e67, e78, e83, e92.
Vpw = ls1a, ls1b, e40.

edit: dangit, my capitalizations got parsed.

Blacky
May 30th, 2016, 11:00 AM
FSV2 V8 software has two options for logging, CAN or VPW, whats the difference?

I can see three options, slow medium and fast (10

CAN = Controller Area Network Protocol which (for high-speed GM-LAN network) operates at 500kbps.
VPW = Variable Pulse Width Protocol which (for GM's class-2 network) operates at 10.4kbps in normal mode and 41.6 (4x) in high-speed mode. VPW high speed mode is reserved for reading/flashing controllers and is not available for data logging.

The various settings you have posted are:

1. The logging speed for black box logging can be:

Fast which is equivalent to V7's Stream-Fast mode.
Medium which is equivalent to V7's Dynamic mode.
Slow which is equivalent to V7's General mode.
Note: V7's Stream-Slow mode is not supported in V8.

2. EFILive's Fast CAN mode speeds up flashing by optimizing the delay between CAN data frames. It has no impact on data logging.

3. Pass-though data logging storage limits. This setting merely reserves memory space for data log storage and does not affect logging speed. However, the logging speed (CAN v's VPW) will affect how long you can log within a limited amount of storage space.

4. The various V7 data logging speeds, see point 1 above.

You can find more information about logging speeds in Appendix-E (page 184) of the V7 Scan Tool User Manual.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 30th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Innovates LC-1 controller with 4.2 lsu response speed is 200-300hz, the serial out is 12hz, so that all efilive can poll, canbus seems to be the way forward, can bus can be variable upto 200hz following this information about OBD2.

http://www.dewamerica.com/downloads/manuals/software/DS-OPT-OBDII_Manual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Innovative Motorsports
The LC-1 samples internally with the highest speed the sensor itself can sustain, controlled by the sensor's internal response time. This is about 200-300 Hz(200-300 times a second) on the LC-1. This is also the update rate of the analog outs in instant mode.
When set for example to 1/12th, the LC-1 sums together all samples for a 1/12th second period and counts the number of samples summed so far. When a 1/12th second period has passed, it divides the collected sum by the number of samples collected and outputs that value, which is then the average value over 1/12th second, on the analog outs and resets the sum and counter for the next 1/12th second period. As the logging speed on the serial port is also 12Hz, what's logged is also that average over 1/12th. With 1/6th speed the average over two 1/12th periods is output every 1/6th second. With 1/3rd speed the average over four 1/12th periods is output every 1/3rd second'

Is this on the list of things to update to EfiLive?

The EFILive software/firmware samples wide band O2 data inputs for each complete data frame that is logged from the vehicle. So if EFILive is logging data frames at 40 fps then it will sample the wide band O2 data input at 40 samples per second. If the wide band data input is not updated as often, then duplicate samples will be logged. If the wide band data input is updated more often, then some samples will be dropped.

Regards
Paul

Gelf VXR
June 6th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Vpw = ls1a, ls1b, e40.

Is E40 not CAN connection to efilive? I came across this in the EfilIve Bench harness tutorial? Just checking

http://download.efilive.com/Tutorials/PDF/Bench%20Harness%20Tutorial.pdf

Blacky
June 6th, 2016, 08:40 PM
Vpw = ls1a, ls1b, e40.

can = e38, e39, e40, e67, e78, e83, e92.
Vpw = ls1a, ls1b

I think the E40 had some minor VPW capabilities to allow it to talk to some legacy VPW modules that were still in use when the E40 was released.

Regards
Paul

joecar
June 7th, 2016, 02:47 AM
Ok, thanks for the e40 clarification.

MobileProg
June 30th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Can we add the AEM as a 'virtual ecu' to log 1-2 pids from it?

A/F ratio and voltage.

joecar
July 13th, 2016, 05:05 AM
i've just ordered 3 of the new aem's for my own cars. so im happy to help test out.Hi TC,

Have you tried these out using the FSV2 serial comms...?

Have you daisy chained 2 AEM X's into FSV2...?

Did you have to modify the serial cable, or did you use a null modem adapter...?

Thanks.

joecar
July 13th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Whats the difference between V7.5 stream fast and V8 fast can scan modes?
Hi Gelf,

Have you connected your AEM X to FSV2 using serial comms...?

I'm trying to find a few use cases.

Thanks.

Tre-Cool
July 13th, 2016, 01:29 PM
i just make up a cable. there is only 1 tx port on the wideband. so i wire it into the rx port on the v2 unit.

can't daisy chain as the aem unit doesnt have a rx wire. only tx along wiht analog out and can + / -

joecar
July 13th, 2016, 03:19 PM
i just make up a cable. there is only 1 tx port on the wideband. so i wire it into the rx port on the v2 unit.

can't daisy chain as the aem unit doesnt have a rx wire. only tx along wiht analog out and can + / -Ok, thanks.

So FSV2 can read the AEM X ok...

Gelf VXR
July 15th, 2016, 11:39 PM
Hi Gelf,

Have you connected your AEM X to FSV2 using serial comms...?

I'm trying to find a few use cases.

Thanks.

Sorry no

Tre-Cool
July 16th, 2016, 02:06 AM
yes, but downside is they are being backwards compatible and sending data at the old speed controller speeds, which is noticeable when logging ls1 controllers.

dr.mike
July 16th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Uh.. yeah. That was me :)

Who do I talk to to find out what I need to do to get the OBDII interface working with EFILive ?
It gives a huge advantage over analog and serial interfaces.

I should be able to tweak the device response to get it working.

Thanks.

joecar
July 18th, 2016, 06:40 AM

Who do I talk to to find out what I need to do to get the OBDII interface working with EFILive ?

Thanks.On the CAN bus, that would be Blacky (Paul).

Blacky
July 18th, 2016, 09:11 AM

Thanks.

I don't think the EFILive software will allow you to log CAN data from the AEM controller while simultaneously logging data from other CAN controllers.

The V7 EFILive software is hard coded to log data from only a single controller at any one time.

The V8 software will log data from two controllers at a time but only ECM ($7E0) and TCM ($7E2) so you could theoretically set it up as a TCM (assuming the vehicle does not already have a TCM). However, I don't expect the AEM would support the packet-based high-speed logging that EFILive V8 uses. It most likely only supports generic scan mode which V8 does not support/use.

Regards
Paul

MobileProg
July 18th, 2016, 11:34 AM
It's not possible to add support for different headers like $7E1? IIRC the header can be configured to anything. Say "$EF1"

Just throwing an idea out.

dr.mike
July 18th, 2016, 05:05 PM
I don't expect the AEM would support the packet-based high-speed logging that EFILive V8 uses. It most likely only supports generic scan mode which V8 does not support/use.

If I had the expected format, I could probably implement it.

Gelf VXR
July 19th, 2016, 02:26 PM

That would be great, I'm still holding on to my LC-1's for now unless,... :)

dr.mike
July 19th, 2016, 05:20 PM
How could I get hold of the communication protocol required to make this work?

Blacky
July 20th, 2016, 09:08 AM

Now I'm confused, do you have access to work on or modify the AEM controller's firmware? I assume that the AEM only supports generic scanning (SAE-J1979 Mode $01) and does not support packet based scanning (SAE-J2190 Mode $2C and Mode $2A*).

Mode $01 is a generic PID request that simply requests a single PID's value and is what I assume the AEM is using (EFILive V8 does not use this mode)
Mode $2C defines a dynamic data packet that will returns multiple (selected) PIDs' values.
Mode $2A* requests the controller to continuously transmit one or more previously defined dynamic packets of PID data at various asynchronous speeds (slow, medium or fast) without FlashScan constantly requesting data.

I don't believe the AEM supports modes $2C and 2A* which are the only scan modes supported by V8.
Again, assuming the ASM does not already implement modes $2C and $2A*, then to make the AEM work with those modes would require the manufacturer's of the AEM to modify the wide band controllers' firmware to support them.

V7 supports Mode $01 but since V7 was designed for use with VPW based controllers the FlashScan/AutoCal devices have been fitted with a CAN<->VPW bridge (similar to what GM calls their Tech2's CANdi interface). However the CAN<->VPW bridge in FlashScan and AutoCal was only ever designed to translate a single module during data logging.

So even if you could fool FlashScan into thinking the AEM was a normal CAN module (which is highly unlikely to start with) you could only log data from the AEM and not from the ECM and the AEM simultaneously.

I'm happy to be proven wrong and if the AEM does support modes $2C and $2A* then it would probably be something we could add support for relatively painlessly.

*Mode $2A or the manufacturer's specific alternative mode.

Regards
Paul

dr.mike
July 20th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Yes. I can tweak the AEM firmware. That is how I got the OBDII working for the AEM wb , in the first place. I added the OBDII mode $01 responses to the CAN interface.

I will look into adding the $2A / $2C modes. Would that do it for the V8 ?

ScarabEpic22
July 20th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Paul, simply put- Yes he does. Dr. Mike handled the firmware modification of the original AEM X-Series WB (30-0300) with AEM's proprietary data acquisition module (via CAN) to support logging via regular CAN protocol (not sure which one HPT implemented). AEM now sells his (or a close variant) modded firmware as their OBDII compatible version (labeled 30-0333).

V8 is the Scan tool, from what it sounds like this is actually a limitation of the legacy V7 Scan tool and the FlashScan V2 hardware (correct me if I'm wrong here Paul/Ross). If you could implement either Mode $2A or $2C, it sounds like Paul could get it working pretty easily. :)

I'm happy to be a beta tester on this if you need someone Dr Mike, I've been eyeing one of these WBO2s for a bit now and would be happy to help with the EFILive integration!

dr.mike
July 20th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Something like :

( With the WB programmed to be 0x7e6 )

Request: 7E6 04 2C F7 00 24 - Place 0x24 PID into Dynamic DPID 0xFE
Reply : 7EE 02 6C F7 00 00 00 00 00 - Positive Response

Request: 7E6 03 AA 04 F7 - Request at a Fast Rate Dynamic DPID 0xFE (which now contains 0x24 Lambda )
Reply: 5EE FE XX XX XX XX 00 00 00 - Where XX is the Lambda/eq ratio. - Data. Sent continually

Request: 7E6 01 3E - Should occur around once every 3 seconds - Keep-alive for thee 5EE message.
Reply: 7EE 01 7E 00 00 00 00 00 00 - Positive response.

??

Should be doable.

MobileProg
July 21st, 2016, 01:00 PM
Now this is how user feedback should go. Hope they take info and work with ya Dr.mike. No good reason to not make it work. It is a superior logging method than eliminates a lot of hassles, along with higher accuracy.

Blacky
July 21st, 2016, 01:43 PM
Something like :

( With the WB programmed to be 0x7e6 )

Request: 7E6 04 2C F7 00 24 - Place 0x24 PID into Dynamic DPID 0xFE
Reply : 7EE 02 6C F7 00 00 00 00 00 - Positive Response

Request: 7E6 03 AA 04 F7 - Request at a Fast Rate Dynamic DPID 0xFE (which now contains 0x24 Lambda )
Reply: 5EE FE XX XX XX XX 00 00 00 - Where XX is the Lambda/eq ratio. - Data. Sent continually

Request: 7E6 01 3E - Should occur around once every 3 seconds - Keep-alive for thee 5EE message.
Reply: 7EE 01 7E 00 00 00 00 00 00 - Positive response.

??

Should be doable.

Request: 7E6 04 2C FE 00 24 - Place 0x24 PID into Dynamic DPID 0xFE
Reply : 7EE 02 6C FE 00 00 00 00 00 - Positive Response
I presume that was just a typo.

I'm pretty sure FlashScan/AutoCal does not require a response to the 01,3E keep alive.

Correct, it should be AA, not 2A.

I'll need to do some minor mods to FlashScan to support three controllers simultaneously - because those with ECM+TCM will want to use this to log ECM+TCM+AEM simultaneously.

How can I get my hands an an AEM controller that I can use for testing? Happy to purchase one if required.

Regards
Paul

dr.mike
July 21st, 2016, 03:52 PM
I can get you a 30-0333. And, hopefully, the USB reflash tool, in case I need to update it.

Once we have it working, I can get the AEM guys to merge it into the release code for the 30-0333.

PM me, and we can work out the details.

Also, if you are going to crack it open, maybe allow for 4 controllers. Seems a lot of people like to use 2 widebands. :)

ScarabEpic22
July 22nd, 2016, 04:52 AM
This would be absolutely fantastic to get going!

Dr. Mike, does AEM usually ship their WBO2s with a USB flashing tool to do consumer-side updates? Or is this a AEM or developer-only tool? Trying to figure out if I purchase one now with the existing code how I can get it updated to the code that works with EFILive.

dr.mike
July 22nd, 2016, 08:04 AM
The re-FLASH tool is not available to the public, at the moment. So, for EFILive support, you will have to hold off until the new code is released. :(

joecar
July 22nd, 2016, 08:14 AM
I'm told that AEM will be doing a video soon on the X-series on location at CPR Engines here in LA.

dr.mike
July 22nd, 2016, 11:55 AM
Ok. I have an initial test version ready.

mode 0x2c Sets the DPID packet id
mode 0xaa Starts the data stream on controllerID - 0x200 ( e.g. 0x7EE - 0x200 = 0x5EE )
mode 0x3e is the keep alive. otherwise stream terminates after 5 seconds.

What datarate is expected ?

formatting of data is per PID 0x24 lambda values only.

joecar
July 23rd, 2016, 11:33 AM
Ok. I have an initial test version ready.

mode 0x2c Sets the DPID packet id
mode 0xaa Starts the data stream on controllerID - 0x200 ( e.g. 0x7EE - 0x200 = 0x5EE )
mode 0x3e is the keep alive. otherwise stream terminates after 5 seconds.

What datarate is expected ?

formatting of data is per PID 0x24 lambda values only.dr.mike,

pm Blacky (Paul).

dr.mike
July 23rd, 2016, 01:24 PM
I don't get that option on his account name.

I was able to scrounge up the GMLAN info for the packet rate. So, everything looks good to go.

0x03 0xaa 0x02 0xfe -> rate = 1000ms ( slow )
0x03 0xaa 0x03 0xfe -> rate = 200ms ( medium )
0x03 0xaa 0x04 0xfe -> rate = 25ms ( fast )

I added :

0x03 0xaa 0x05 0xfe -> rate = 10ms ( super fast )
0x03 0xaa 0x06 0xfe -> rate = 5ms ( near insane )
0x03 0xaa 0x07 0xfe -> rate = 2ms ( insane )

We are ready for the 1st go-round :)

ScarabEpic22
July 25th, 2016, 07:49 AM
dr.mike, believe you need 10 posts before you can send a PM. You're at 9 now, reply back here then you should be able to PM Blacky (Paul).

Happy to help out with this state-side if needed. Even if it requires shipping my WBO2 back and forth to dr.mike a few times.

joecar
July 25th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Ah, I should have known (10 posts to enable pm's), sorry :doh:

I pm'd Paul anyway.

dr.mike
July 25th, 2016, 02:29 PM
Ah. Ok.

I'll give that a shot.

dr.mike
July 25th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Nope... I must be missing something.

Too bad. It's ready to go.

P.S.

On your UserID, there is a link for "Send Email". But, it's no there for Blacky :(

ScarabEpic22
July 26th, 2016, 05:11 AM
Try "Private Message" instead, it's there for me but not sure if there's a different minimum post requirement for it to enable...

dr.mike
July 26th, 2016, 07:59 AM
OK. Now, "private message" shows up. I guess it takes a few hours.

Gelf VXR
August 2nd, 2016, 02:49 PM
This thread has gone a bit quiet, is there any update?

Blacky
August 2nd, 2016, 03:17 PM
Mike has been busy updating the AEM firmware to work with EFILive. Hopefully we'll get to test it out next week.
Regards
Paul

Gelf VXR
August 2nd, 2016, 03:22 PM
Great [emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dr.mike
August 3rd, 2016, 06:29 AM
Yep. It looks like it is coming together. Hopefully, we can get is tested and get some beta units out there soon.

MobileProg
August 3rd, 2016, 07:41 AM
Yep. It looks like it is coming together. Hopefully, we can get is tested and get some beta units out there soon.

Sa-weet!
Ready to throw this Innovate stuff in the garbage.

ScarabEpic22
August 3rd, 2016, 02:32 PM

If you need a beta tester state-side, just let me know. Happy to purchase a unit and use it for testing.

Tre-Cool
August 4th, 2016, 12:56 AM
is it correct that any unit would need to be sent to you mike once it's all sorted?

Im in Australia with 3 units, so it would be a pia to do so, but not a big deal.

I'd be interested to know if it would be possible to get a firmware version of interfacing with the haltech elite line of ecu's as i will be converting from some ls1 ecu's soon

dr.mike
August 5th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Hopefully, AEM would merge these changes into the production 30-0333 units.
So, you would need to be careful to get one made after the firmware update is done.

joecar
August 5th, 2016, 01:01 PM
We can try this out at CPR Engines here in LA (this is where AEM were going to shoot a vid on this feature, I'm not sure yet what/when).

joecar
August 21st, 2016, 09:43 PM
How is this progressing...?

Tre-Cool
August 21st, 2016, 09:58 PM
I'd be keen to know if they also have a faster serial protocal too, the aem stuff is pathetically slow compared to me ALM's, it's averaging the data far too much.

dr.mike
August 21st, 2016, 11:41 PM
The modified sample 30-0333 has been sent to the EFILive guys. Hopefully, they can get it tested in the next couple of weeks.
Once they verify it, I will offer re-flashes for the 30-0333 for a beta period, for those who want to try it.

Yes, the AEM serial output is really slow @ 100ms. It is a leftover. There only to be compatible with the older 30-4100 and 30-2310.
Unfortunately, to change the rate, you need to use the CAN API. Which is not currently available. :(

ScarabEpic22
August 29th, 2016, 06:50 AM
I'm anxiously awaiting this as well, I need a WBO2 now so I'm going to order one then will have to send it to dr. mike once we get the EFILive configuration sorted!

Blacky
August 29th, 2016, 08:07 AM
I have the AEM that Mike sent and I'll be working on the integration next week. If all goes well we should have something to test mid next week.
Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
August 30th, 2016, 05:45 AM
I have the AEM that Mike sent and I'll be working on the integration next week. If all goes well we should have something to test mid next week.
Regards
Paul

Awesome, if you need a tester...I'm going to be ordering one today as I need a new WBO2 before a track day coming up.

Tre-Cool
August 30th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Awesome, if you need a tester...I'm going to be ordering one today as I need a new WBO2 before a track day coming up.

I wouldn't bother until the update is released. the standard data speed is shit.

ScarabEpic22
August 31st, 2016, 06:22 AM
I wouldn't bother until the update is released. the standard data speed is shit.

For serial output, it sure sounds that way. I've got one on order and I'll get it plumbed up when I have time then will just send the unit in to have it reprogrammed.

wesam
September 9th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Any updates Paul

Blacky
September 10th, 2016, 11:56 AM
The EFILive software and firmware has been modified to work with the AEM OBDII interface. It's being tested now and it should be available in the next beta update which is due out next week.
The initial release will require the AEM to be selected as the "TCM" controller so you won't be able to log ECM, TCM and AEM simultaneously, you'll only be able to do ECM+AEM for now.

The AEM shows up as GPM (Glow Plug Module) because it defaults to CAN ID $7E6 which is the glow plug module in the GM-LAN configuration.

Regards
Paul

joecar
September 10th, 2016, 04:29 PM
Cool :cheers:

Tre-Cool
September 10th, 2016, 10:10 PM
Will this allow both LS1 and the aem to be logged simultaneously or only can based controllers?

Blacky
September 11th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Will this allow both LS1 and the aem to be logged simultaneously or only can based controllers?

Only CAN controllers.
Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
September 11th, 2016, 11:39 PM
so was the firmware modified to work with efilive or is it using the standard firmware and efi is working with that?

Blacky
September 12th, 2016, 09:51 AM
so was the firmware modified to work with efilive or is it using the standard firmware and efi is working with that?

Modifications were required to both the V8 software and the FlashScan/AutoCal firmware. The updated software will be available for testing sometime this week on our beta forum here: https://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?94-EFILive-Beta-Software

Regards
Paul

ScarabEpic22
September 12th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Awesome! The workaround of being able to log the WBO2 instead of a TCM is a good choice, the likelihood of having the use the WBO2+TCM simultaneously is small.

Did Dr. Mike make any changes to the 30-0333 firmware to work with EFILive? If not, I have one installed now so I can test once the beta is released.

joecar
September 12th, 2016, 12:16 PM
On the engine dyno we want to see fastest wideband response (engine spins up very quickly on engine dyno), and since transmission/TCM is not present, ECM+WB makes a lot of sense.

I'll see if Martin @ CPR Engines has dyno time available soon, this will be fun.

Martin, if you're reading this, this is just what we need for E38/E92 tuning...!!!

Tre-Cool
September 12th, 2016, 06:10 PM
Modifications were required to both the V8 software and the FlashScan/AutoCal firmware. The updated software will be available for testing sometime this week on our beta forum here: https://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?94-EFILive-Beta-Software

Regards
Paul

So this should technically mean that if you have 2 or more of these bad boys all daisy chained up we can log multiple sensors yeah?

According to the latest pdf doc from AEM on these they allow you to change the address for each controller. Which would make sense on a CAN based network. Can't have multiple sensors reporting with the same hardware address.

The available settings under the 'obd2' menu are:
This is the unique address the gauge should be set to for scanners to be able to accurately detect O2
readings. The actual hex address used will change depending on the 'bitS' option (below.) The default
value is ECU #6 and if using another 30-0333 the second gauge should be set to ECU #7.

ECU # 11-bit 29-bit
1 0x7E1 0x14F1
2 0x7E2 0x18F1
3 0x7E3 0x1CF1
4 0x7E4 0x20F1
5 0x7E5 0x24F1
6 (default) 0x7E6 0x28F1
7 0x7E7 0x2CF1

This is the hexadecimal value for the PID that the gauge should emulate. The default value should be
listed as O2 #1 and if a second gauge is used then O2 #2 should be selected. If your vehicle is equipped
with OEM widebands and the factory powertrain ECU already outputs some of the PIDs in the following
table then you will need to select a different PID.
Listed below are the available options.

O2 # Location PID
1 (default) Bank 1 Sensor 1 0x24
2 Bank 1 Sensor 2 0x25
3 Bank 2 Sensor 1 0x26
4 Bank 2 Sensor 2 0x27
5 Bank 3 Sensor 1 0x28
6 Bank 3 Sensor 2 0x29
7 Bank 4 Sensor 1 0x2A
8 Bank 4 Sensor 2 0x2B
This is the size of the CAN bus message identifier used. The available values are 11 and 29 with the
default value being 11. Most vehicles will have an 11 bit identifier.
This is the bitrate of the CAN bus. The available values are: 250 and 500 kbps. The default value is 500
and is correct for most vehicles.

Now, with all that info I reakon i could get the ALM/Ecotrons working too. As they allow you to program a user configurable can output.
http://www.ecotrons.com/files/ALM%20Communication%20Protocol%20-%20CAN.pdf

joecar
September 12th, 2016, 07:10 PM
TC,

Thanks for the info.

Tre-Cool
September 12th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Hopefully I can also use them on my new Haltech Elites when i get around to replacing the ls1 ecu's. Feeding in can data would saving me some analog inputs.

dr.mike
September 20th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Quick update for those waiting on this.

Initial testing with the re-flashed AEM 30-0333 and the new beta FlashScan v8 shows everything to be working, as designed. I was able to record several logs with the OBDII lambda data. Recorded data matches the gauge display to 0.001 lambda at the maximum sample rate.

If you would like to try, you will need the new beta EFILive software ( ver 8.2.3.305 ) and a re-flashed AEM 30-0333 wideband ( fw ver 1.13 ). I will be doing the re-flashes for the widebands, during the beta test period.

AEM 30-0333 controller auto-detected. Using the trans controller slot.

Sensor drifting from Lambda 1.000 to free-air, in test chamber.

Tre-Cool
September 20th, 2016, 04:56 PM
I sent you a pm the other week Mike. I would like to get a few more kits, so can either buy and get shipped to you or if you have good hook up price will paypay you direct.

I wouldn't mind sending you my existing 3 controllers to get updated also.

ScarabEpic22
September 21st, 2016, 08:10 AM
Great to hear! Do we just need to ship you the gauge to get reflashed or does anything else need to be included?

I'm sure you did, but did you try datalogging with an ECM connected as well? Or is that what you want us as beta testers to focus on?

Blacky
September 21st, 2016, 08:25 AM
Great to hear! Do we just need to ship you the gauge to get reflashed or does anything else need to be included?

I'm sure you did, but did you try datalogging with an ECM connected as well? Or is that what you want us as beta testers to focus on?

I have successfully (as far as I can test on a bench) logged both an E38 and the AEM. But a real-world, in-car test would be good.
The beta software should be available for others to test with in the next day or so.

Regards
Paul

dgp
September 21st, 2016, 01:35 PM
I'm new to all of this and looking to buy a wideband, if I purchase the AEM 30-0333, when the FCV2 software is updated to suit, will it just be a matter of plug and play or will the AEM need to be modified.
Does anyone have a recommendation of where to buy from? I am in Australia but it seems most of this gear comes out of the States.
I was looking at the AEM 30-0300 from Bellenger until I came across this thread.
I will be using the wideband and FCV2 with an LS3 powered VFII Commodore.

joecar
September 21st, 2016, 02:11 PM
I' m not sure, but I think you may be able to plug it into the OBD2 port, dr.mike can correct me...

so if you're doing engine dyno tuning (i.e. ECM is out of vehicle) you will have to do something about connecting the CAN lan/bus.

Blacky
September 21st, 2016, 02:26 PM
[QUOTE=joecar;232666you will have to do something about connecting the CAN lan/bus.[/QUOTE]

The AEM comes with a "piggy back/pass-through" OBDII connector. So you can plug the AEM into the OBDII port, then plug FlashScan into the back of the AEM OBDII connector. It's very well done (in my opinion) and extremely easy to use.
I can't tell you about which AEM/firmware combinations are compatible, Mike should be able to chime in on that.

Regards
Paul

dr.mike
September 21st, 2016, 02:53 PM
Hi all.

The 30-0333 firmware that is currently shipping does not have the mods that I made for the EFILive logging. I'm sure it will be updated, once the testing is complete. So, for now, the WBs will have to be sent in for re-flashing to work with FlashScan.

While either the 30-0300 or 30-0333 can be flashed with the new code, the 30-0333 is preferred because it includes the OBDII pass-thu connector cable. The 30-0300 would need to have its CAN lines wired into the OBDII connector.

dgp
September 21st, 2016, 03:31 PM
Thanks for response guys.
Dr.mike, are you employed by AEM? The reason I ask is that perhaps you could post when the 30-0333 has the new firmware so anyone needing one can purchase once it has been updated.
I really like the idea of piggybacking the FCV2 and the AEM into the OBDII connector, nice and easy.

ScarabEpic22
September 22nd, 2016, 07:43 AM
I have my 30-0333 setup already in my TBSS, it works really slick. Installed the sensor in my exhaust, tapped a switched power and ground, plugged sensor cable into gauge, plugged power cable into gauge, plugged OBDII pass-through into OBDII port and off to the races.

Thanks for confirming the existing 30-0333 units will need an update, please let me know how/when I can send mine in to you.

joecar
September 22nd, 2016, 08:26 AM
Post some close up pics...

dr.mike
September 25th, 2016, 07:40 PM
OK. Looks like the beta software is available now. So, I can start doing the re-flashes of the new 30-0333 firmware.
I am trying to get the AEM guys to take over the process. But, I will probably do the first few units, myself.

Anyone who wants to give it a try can send me a PM to arrange having your WB re-flashed.

Tre-Cool
September 26th, 2016, 01:04 AM
I sent you a pm the other week mike. I can send you 2 screen controllers i've got already. But i'd like to purchase 3 more anyway.

dr.mike
September 26th, 2016, 01:33 AM
Let me see if I can work out something with the AEM guys for multiple units.

dr.mike
September 27th, 2016, 12:32 PM
OK. I talked to the AEM guys. They are doing qualification on the EFILive firmware mods now.

They decided to bump the part number from 30-0333 to 30-0334 to differentiate the EFILive compatible units from those currently in production. I will post when that becomes an orderable part number. Those with existing 30-0333s can PM me to arrange reflashing to 30-0334 firmware ( there is no other difference )

wesam
September 27th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Thanks a lot Mike for your help
we all appreciate it
waiting for the order link

pir4te
September 27th, 2016, 05:24 PM
So at this stage only the (30-0334) controller kit with display gauge attached will have compatible EFIlive firmware, not the fundamental X-series 30-0310 inline controller that is standalone?
Seems redundant having to buy / hide a display gauge with the FSV2 display and logging capability is all, makes sense to enable firmware in the base model (more affordable and effective) inline product first ie "30-0314"?

ScarabEpic22
September 28th, 2016, 06:21 AM
OK. I talked to the AEM guys. They are doing qualification on the EFILive firmware mods now.

They decided to bump the part number from 30-0333 to 30-0334 to differentiate the EFILive compatible units from those currently in production. I will post when that becomes an orderable part number. Those with existing 30-0333s can PM me to arrange reflashing to 30-0334 firmware ( there is no other difference )

Sounds good to me, I'll hold off ordering another -0333 unit until the -0334 units are available. I'll need my existing one reflashed, I'll PM you about it. :)

wesam
October 9th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Dr.mike Any release date for the efi compatible version ?

dr.mike
October 9th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Not yet. testing is ongoing.
You can send your 30-0333 unit in for re-flashing, if you want to try now.

Tre-Cool
October 10th, 2016, 01:18 AM
well i got my 3 here i need to send in somewhere but i want the serial protocol speed changed too. can you see if they will do that as standard in the new ones too?

dr.mike
October 10th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Go ahead and send those in to me. I can set the serial data-rate to 25Hz.

I will see if I can get the AEM guys to adopt that rate for these new units as well. Shouldn't be too hard, as the serial data pins are not even populated on the OBDII units.

Tre-Cool
October 10th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Can you pm me your address. It'll be coming from AUS so it might take a week or 2 to get to you.

Considering how utterly shit out postal service is.

dr.mike
October 10th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Sent.

ScarabEpic22
October 11th, 2016, 06:43 AM
The serial pins aren't populated on the OBDII unit wiring harness, my current one doesnt have the pins. But, are they actually there on the gauge and can be used?

joecar
October 11th, 2016, 10:02 AM
So you need a different cable...?

dr.mike
October 11th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Yes. The 30-0333 gauges have the full serial and 0-5v functionality. Even though the cable/connector pins are not installed. You can order the pins from digikey.
The pinouts are in the 30-0333 instructions.

joecar
October 11th, 2016, 12:27 PM
ok thanks

( I'm doing E38 and LS1B tuning, so I'm going to being using CAN bus and serial comms )

dr.mike
October 11th, 2016, 03:28 PM
The analog output on the new AEM gauges is, actually, very good. It has ground offset compensation and it updates 500 times per second; while having pretty low noise content.

It is probably preferable to using the serial data, if you can.

ScarabEpic22
October 12th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Yes. The 30-0333 gauges have the full serial and 0-5v functionality. Even though the cable/connector pins are not installed. You can order the pins from digikey.
The pinouts are in the 30-0333 instructions.

Fantastic, I was curious as to where to get the extra pins!

dr.mike
October 12th, 2016, 08:24 AM
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jst-sales-america-inc/SPUD-001T-P0.5/455-2518-1-ND/1989509

These are the pins.

wesam
October 24th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Any updates for 30-0334 version ?

dr.mike
October 24th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I have not heard anything, lately. I am assuming they are all busy prepping for the SEMA show.

wesam
November 21st, 2016, 10:09 AM
Any updates from AEM ?

dr.mike
November 21st, 2016, 11:54 AM
It's a bit difficult to communicate at this time of year ( right between SEMA and PRI ). But, they were looking at it when I talked to them last.

I am still waiting on some data from the beta testers, to finalize the changes, here.

joecar
November 21st, 2016, 03:51 PM
Martin @ CPR Engines is eager to try this out (located in Gardena, close to AEM's Hawthorne office, 13 minutes in LA traffic)...

we'll patiently wait :)

edit: corrected the spelling of Gardena.

Tre-Cool
November 21st, 2016, 03:57 PM
mikes got 4 units on the way to me at the moment, so I'll be playing around with the new can & serial data speeds.

Martin_CPRengines
November 21st, 2016, 04:41 PM
right!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvO2Urchn3c they used my car for this flic... dont like HPT for tune edit...

dr.mike
November 21st, 2016, 04:44 PM
Martin @ CPR Engines is eager to try this out (located in Gadena, close to AEM's Hawthorne office, 13 minutes in LA traffic)...

we'll patiently wait

Maybe I will roll up that way for a Bonello's pizza :)

Martin_CPRengines
November 21st, 2016, 04:47 PM
Martin @ CPR Engines is eager to try this out (located in Gadena, close to AEM's Hawthorne office, 13 minutes in LA traffic)...

we'll patiently wait :)
yes sir, what do we need from aem? ill go rattle some cages over there if we need to get shit done...
:pokey:

Martin_CPRengines
November 21st, 2016, 04:50 PM

ever had Rosario's pizzA?

dr.mike
November 21st, 2016, 05:35 PM
Nope. I was always up near the El Camino Col. Area, there.

ScarabEpic22
November 21st, 2016, 06:11 PM
I just got my 2nd unit in, going to try and send it out Wed to dr.mike to get updated!

joecar
November 21st, 2016, 08:12 PM
We also need FSV2 firmware.

joecar
November 21st, 2016, 08:13 PM
( sorry, I spelled Gardena incorrectly, I have a hard time typing on my phone's tiny virtual keyboard )

joecar
November 21st, 2016, 08:17 PM
From the vid I see that 2 units can be piggy-backed, we're going to use this with a calc pid that Martin and I developed which chooses the leanest bank on-the-fly.

And the vid says 100 Hz sample rate, this is going to drastically increase accuracy on the dyno.

joecar
November 21st, 2016, 08:21 PM

ever had Rosario's pizzA?
Ok, I'm in, let me know when... I'll drive up from behind the Orange Curtain [emoji4]

dr.mike
November 21st, 2016, 10:09 PM
I'll see if I can make it up that way some time next week.

dr.mike
November 28th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Looks like I can make it by Tuesday or Wednesday.

joecar
November 30th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Next week...? Where are you coming from...?

dr.mike
November 30th, 2016, 11:33 PM
I am down in Orange County, In the shadow of the mouse :)

I have Friday ( this week ) or Monday ( next week ) open.

dgp
December 7th, 2016, 09:57 PM
So, I ended up buying the 30-0300 and I'm kicking myself now because the install is going to be a pain compared to the new pass through unit.
Can the 30-0300 be retrofitted with a pass through OBDII plug?
If not, does anyone have any info on how they have wired up the 30-0300 into a VF Commodore or Chev SS?
Sorry, another question.
If the 30-0300 can't be retrofitted, what is the best method of getting the data into the FSV2? Should I be using the blue and black wires, wired into a DB-9 plug then a null modem adaptor into the FSV2 serial plug, OR, use the brown and white wires as analog inputs into the FSV2?

joecar
December 7th, 2016, 10:47 PM

I have Friday ( this week ) or Monday ( next week ) open.I'll have to check, I might be able to get this Friday afternoon off...

you know where CPR Engines is located...?

statesman
December 8th, 2016, 03:45 AM
right!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvO2Urchn3c they used my car for this flic... dont like HPT for tune edit...

I don't like the raw fuel coming out your exhaust. :laugh:

joecar
December 8th, 2016, 11:10 AM

...LOL, this reference just clicked in my brain, I'm about 8 miles west of there.

joecar
December 9th, 2016, 07:01 AM

I have Friday ( this week ) or Monday ( next week ) open.Monday afternoon will work out better, I have other commitments today (Friday) that I had forgot about.

joecar
December 12th, 2016, 06:08 AM
I have cold/flu symptoms today... next week would be better.

joecar
December 14th, 2016, 04:58 PM
How do you log from two AEM 03-0334 units...?

Tre-Cool
December 14th, 2016, 05:11 PM
the following is an assumption:

I imagine the 2nd controller option for the AEM is just telling the v2/software to allow for those specific can hardware broadcasts.

On each individual aem you need to configure these broadcast identifiers so that each 1 is unique.

I can report back on the weekend on how to do it if you like. It's pretty simple.

dr.mike
December 19th, 2016, 02:21 PM
I have cold/flu symptoms today... next week would be better.

I can do Wednesday or Thursday. If everybody can get together.

joecar
December 19th, 2016, 03:29 PM
I can do Wednesday or Thursday. If everybody can get together.I can make it this Thursday (12/22/2016).

dr.mike
December 20th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Does anyone else need to be in on this ?

I can bring a mod'd gauge. But, I don't have a spare harness handy.

joecar
December 20th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Maybe Martin has a harness for his 03-03xx.

dr.mike
December 21st, 2016, 10:46 AM
I will see what I can dig up. In the worst case, I can drop by AEM and grab what I need.

I can be up there around 2-3pm. ( assuming the freeway is not crawling, due to the rain ).

Where are we going, again ?

joecar
December 21st, 2016, 11:18 AM
2-3 pm is good... I'll be there from noon onward... see you then/there.

dr.mike
December 21st, 2016, 11:21 AM
"there" is where? again ?

dr.mike
December 21st, 2016, 11:53 AM
Found it. Martin, you in for this ?

joecar
December 21st, 2016, 04:11 PM
I texted him... I'll have his reply shortly...

joecar
December 21st, 2016, 04:32 PM
Martin said tomorrow's good, if you come early we can get lunch, otherwise 2 pm is fine...

the options available to us tomorrow:
- ECM on bench harness, with ability to immerse widebands in exhaust gases,
- his Camaro is at AEM (just down the street), so we could go there.

joecar
December 22nd, 2016, 05:58 PM
Ok, today we plugged FSV2 into the AEM 03-0334 plugged into Martin's 2014 Camaro, and V8 scantool was able read the wideband EQR from the AEM, showed up on pid WO2S21...

very simple to plug in (piggybacks on car's OBD-II connector) worked great, very easy.

joecar
December 22nd, 2016, 07:17 PM
We used the V8 software posted today 12/22/2016 download from www.efilive.com.

Tre-Cool
December 23rd, 2016, 10:08 PM
how did u go with getting a wideband ben working?

joecar
December 24th, 2016, 11:50 AM
We didn't try the wideband BEN, but we did see the pid WO2S21 show the correct EQR (it made sense for engine runing warmup idle)...

so I'm confident that the single wideband BEN pid will work ok...

over the next few days, I'll get the log from Martin's laptop, and I'll apply the calc pid, we'll see how it looks.

joecar
December 24th, 2016, 11:55 AM
The dual wideband BEN pid (aka "tuning to leanest") won't be able to work until both AEM's can be read on the CAN bus by FSV2...

I understand V2/V8/V7 only allow for two CAN bus controllers (Paul, isn't there a way to extend this...?)...

so at the moment the only way for reading two AEM's would require that dr.mike add some code to make the "master" replicate the "slave's" EQR/Lambda... would be nicer/simpler if EFILive could somehow support more than two CAN bus controllers/id's.

dr.mike
December 24th, 2016, 02:37 PM
I'm hoping there will be codespace available for doing the aster/slave thing. I would probably need to drop the serial AND the analog functions to make it fit. Maybe not even then.
So, if the scanner could pick up a 2nd unit, that would be huge :)

Maybe a better way... What functionality would you give up to get dual lambda working ?

joecar
December 25th, 2016, 04:27 PM
If dual lambda was working, we would need neither serial comms nor analog output (altho analog output might be needed for the dyno itself).

dr.mike
December 25th, 2016, 04:35 PM
You would still have analog from the slave unit.

Tre-Cool
December 26th, 2016, 08:47 PM
If anyone in Aus or NZ wants one of these modified guages, I got Mike to do 4 for me, so i have some spares.

I'm only looking to recoup my costs for each unit, so there wont be any markup.

dgp
December 26th, 2016, 09:02 PM
If anyone in Aus or NZ wants one of these modified guages, I got Mike to do 4 for me, so i have some spares.

I'm only looking to recoup my costs for each unit, so there wont be any markup.

PM sent

dr.mike
January 3rd, 2017, 05:59 PM
OK. I THINK I have an idea to get dual AFR working.

It looks like there is not enough codespace left over in the 30-0333 gauge CPU to handle the master/slave arrangement that would be necessary to handle 2 channels.

But, I THINK I can squeeze it into one of the inline ( non gauge ) UEGOs . So, in this case, you would need to run either one gauge and one inline; or, two inlines.

In each case, the 2nd channel would be a standard ( non OBDII ) 30-0300 or 30-0310.

So, the kit would be a re-flashed 30-0310 with an OBDII adapter cable. To be paired with a standard 30-0300 or 30-0310. And would be "some assembly required" wiring-wise.

-- in progress...

ScarabEpic22
January 4th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Interesting, keep us posted. I've got 2 -0333 units I still need to send to you, if waiting a few days will enable this dual WB functionality I might do that.

dr.mike
January 4th, 2017, 07:08 PM
It will be a bit more than a few days. I need to see how much demand there will be for this setup, before investing the time it will take to get it all working. I need to be able to sell AEM on the idea.

Tre-Cool
January 4th, 2017, 07:11 PM
Im surprised AEM doesnt already do it. The MTX-L stuff does a similar setup. where they have 1 gauge with both read out's, but one of the widebands is just the lc2.

dr.mike
January 4th, 2017, 07:20 PM
That is a LOT easier, using RS-232 serial daisy-chaining; rather than mixed OBD and non-OBD over the same CAN bus.

joecar
January 4th, 2017, 07:28 PM
The real problem is that EFILive only allows for 2 controllers/id's on the CAN bus...

one of them will always be the ECM, leaving only one available.

( would be nice to have multiple controllers, e.g. log from ECM, TCM, and dual AEM's, and anything else (e.g.potentially dyno) simultaneously. )

dr.mike
January 4th, 2017, 07:54 PM
That would make my part a lot easier. But, I'm guessing that I am going to go with the master/slave arrangement.

Maybe, what I need to make is a generic OBDII/CAN data consolidation device that can offers multiple data channels on a single ECU ID from external sources.

dr.mike
January 20th, 2017, 12:00 AM
Ok... I THINK I have dual bank mode figured out.

I had to sacrifice the serial output to make room for the code. But, everything is in there with 33 bytes to spare, now :)

I have a bit of testing to do.

joecar
January 20th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Cool :cheers: good job :cheers:

dr.mike
January 31st, 2017, 03:09 PM
OK. Everything looks good on the bench test for dual banks with the updated firmware. I did end up having to sacrifice the serial data output to get everything to fit. But, other than than, no casualties. I need to set up a live test with a vehicle to get it all finalized. I hope somebody actually uses this :)

joecar
January 31st, 2017, 11:08 PM
dr.mike,

serial comms is irrelevant when CANbus outshine's it.

do you want us to test it out on Martin's Camaro (I have to find out where it is)...?

do you have two units...?

with high sample rates, I'm sure a lot of shops will run dual 0334's given the tuning advantages.

~Moderator~

dr.mike
February 1st, 2017, 02:07 PM
Unfortunately, I am working with naked PCBs. I will need to re-flash a couple of units to get the car test done.

I'm not sure AEM will be picking up this change in the 30-0334 ( not an official part number ) . They have already done a bunch of testing on the previous single-channel version.

Highlander
February 3rd, 2017, 10:59 AM
What about the 30-2340? I have these installed on an engine dyno and I would be interested in getting 8 wideband data to the scan tool.

Thanks

dr.mike
February 3rd, 2017, 12:32 PM
This trick only works for the x-series widebands, so far.

Not sure if they are planning to implement it on the other widebands. Or, if it's possible.

dr.mike
February 6th, 2017, 02:19 PM
OK, I have this week open to do some testing. I can bring the re-flash tool to wherever the Camaro is.

joecar
February 6th, 2017, 03:12 PM
OK, let me see what's going on with Martin's Camaro.

Do you have two 0334's...?

dr.mike
February 6th, 2017, 03:17 PM
I only have 1 full unit. The other is just the PCB. But, I can reflash the units on the car.

joecar
February 16th, 2017, 04:51 PM
dr.mike,

I'm sorry for the delay, I've got some family stuff going on.

Let me find out from Martin when we can test this.

dr.mike
February 21st, 2017, 12:07 AM
Progress ?

required field
March 1st, 2017, 08:14 AM
First, dr.mike, thanks for flashing my 30-0333, it's working great!
I was using it the other day, and I couldn't quite figure out how to log it in the v7.5 scanner, though it worked fine in v8. Is this user error, or just not an option?

Also, has anyone set up a custom PID that converts lambda to AFR for this setup? I didn't see one in the thread, but I may have missed it.

joecar
March 1st, 2017, 09:42 AM
First, dr.mike, thanks for flashing my 30-0333, it's working great!
I was using it the other day, and I couldn't quite figure out how to log it in the v7.5 scanner, though it worked fine in v8. Is this user error, or just not an option?

Also, has anyone set up a custom PID that converts lambda to AFR for this setup? I didn't see one in the thread, but I may have missed it.

Can you post a log file...

did you select the pids SAE.WO2S11 and SAE.WO2S21 to log (because EFILive might have the channels swapped)...?

I have can make a calc pid to show AFR (IIRC, AEM assumes AFR is 14.57).

dr.mike
March 1st, 2017, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure. But, I don't believe that the 7.5 software was updated to read the 30-0333.

ScarabEpic22
March 1st, 2017, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure. But, I don't believe that the 7.5 software was updated to read the 30-0333.

You can, but it'd be the only controller. V7.5 only supports logging of 1 controller at a time, it's a known limitation of it. V8 lets you do 2, which is why you can log a PCM/ECM and the -0333 simultaneously.

dr.mike
March 1st, 2017, 03:16 PM
That makes sense :)

required field
March 2nd, 2017, 06:35 PM
Can you post a log file...

did you select the pids SAE.WO2S11 and SAE.WO2S21 to log (because EFILive might have the channels swapped)...?

I have can make a calc pid to show AFR (IIRC, AEM assumes AFR is 14.57).

I was just using one (and the readings looked correct, just lambda values instead of AFR, compared to the AEM's gauge.) I forget which, was using a different machine I don't have handy at the moment, but pretty sure I was using WO2S21. Will make some new logs and post soon.

required field
March 3rd, 2017, 04:53 PM
It was WO2S11, here's the file, having some trouble importing the BBX file into the v8 scan tool, when I pick the trans controller, AEM UGEO Bank 1 isn't an option in the "select controllers" menu, and when I select it from the drop down, v8 clears the tune file, so that appears to be a bug in the current release.

joecar
March 4th, 2017, 03:11 AM
I see your pid SAE.WO2S11 behaving like wideband lambda... it is usually about 0.99 and dips down to 0.6 or so.

required field
March 4th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Yup, that's working; did you have a calculated PID to convert the lambda value to AFR you'd be willing to share?

joecar
March 4th, 2017, 11:45 PM
Yup, that's working; did you have a calculated PID to convert the lambda value to AFR you'd be willing to share?
Yes, I do...

did you edit your calc_pids.txt file...? if not then I'll post it tomorrow (I'm not at home at the moment).

~Moderator~

required field
March 5th, 2017, 07:11 AM
I've not touched my calc_pids.txt.

Thanks!

joecar
March 9th, 2017, 11:35 AM

The attached calc_pids.txt file defines the pid CALC.WO2S11.AFR... please use this pid to display wideband AFR

( and use SAE.WO2S11.lambda for tuning, e.g. use CALC.WO2BEN ).

required field
March 9th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Just tried it out, works great!

rcr1978
April 9th, 2017, 04:33 AM
Giving this a bump since it went dead, is there going to be a production unit offered? All I see listed anywhere now is a p/n 30-0333 is the p/n 30-0334 a special order from AEM and we then still have to bother DrMike for a reflash to drop the serial com so dual WBO2 daisy chain can be used?

Thanks
Robert

Tre-Cool
April 9th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Just use the analog signal. It's spot on with the digital gauge and quicker then the serial connection anyway.

dr.mike
April 9th, 2017, 01:40 PM
The AEM guys have been swamped, lately. I think, mostly with the response to their CD-7 display thing. So, they have not had time to test/qualify the new 30-0334 firmware. We kinda threw a monkeywrench into the process by doing the dual-channel thing, after they tested the original EFILive changes. So, they probably don't want to release the single-channel version, then the dual channel version. And just make one part number.

The dual channel firmware passed the bench-test, here. But, needs to be field tested.

I'll see if I can check in on them this week.

rcr1978
April 10th, 2017, 02:59 PM
The dual channel option is there going to be two gauges needed to run both sensors? Sure would be nice just to have one to cut down on the clutter and still have 2 wideband sensors.

dr.mike
April 10th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Yeah, it would currently require 2 gauges. I can probably set up a 30-0310 to act as the second channel. But they are hard to set up, because they have no UI. It would always need to be 500kbps 11-bit ECU 0x7E6 PID 0x25
At least, that would clean things up a bit. :)

dr.mike
July 10th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Good news. AEM has finally released the 30-0334 replacement for the 30-0333. This is the equivalent to the most recent re-FLASHed units that I have been doing. They support dual widebands with EFILive. ( which is no small feat :grd: ) Unfortunately, it was too late in their process to get them to add the spare pins for the analog/serial interface. :(

Double-check, when ordering from a distributor that you are getting the 334 and, not any 333's they may still be in the pipe. 30-333's work via OBDII, only with brand 'H' scan tools.

This probably deserves it's own thread...

Highlander
July 10th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Awesome.

I wonder if i can get the e38/e67 to read and use this data.

joecar
July 10th, 2017, 12:10 PM
dr.mike,

cool :cheers: thanks.

so you can connect dual -334 wideband controllers to the CAN bus and be able to log both widebands from EFILive;

we need to give this some exposure... I'll make a nice thread (I may need to borrow some pics).

( and I'm going to budget myself to get a pair of these for my own use )

dr.mike
July 10th, 2017, 12:17 PM
so you can connect dual -334 wideband controllers to the CAN bus and be able to log both widebands from EFILive;

Yes. That extra bit of functionality is responsible for the delay in getting EFILive support up and running. The dual-wideband code came right at the end of the qualification of the original 30-0334 package. It didn't make a lot of sense to release the single-only version, then, the dual-capable version.

It's confusing enough, as-is :laugh:

Gelf VXR
July 15th, 2017, 05:36 AM
Before I go out and purchase a couple of these 30-0334 units, AEM say for the 30-0333 units only compatible with post 2008 CAN, I have 2005 E40 CAN, will they still work?

dr.mike
July 15th, 2017, 09:30 PM
Pretty sure it will work. I think they only say 2008+ because it is guaranteed to be CAN.

TrendSetter
July 21st, 2017, 05:55 AM
I have a 512k ls1b and the older uego 30-4110 logging via serial. is there any value in upgrading to the x-series?
thanks

dr.mike
July 21st, 2017, 09:55 AM
Mostly the response speed. So that the WB data matches the RPM/MAP data. But, that only really applies if you use the analog or CAN data. The serial on the x-series defaults to 10Hz.
The serial data can be sped up. But, that requires a re-flash. Actually, it doesn't. But AEM has not released the CAN API to change the settings.

TrendSetter
July 24th, 2017, 07:06 AM
so the better response will be helpful, but since i have a ls1b that means there is nothing that i can do to go faster than 10hz with efilive, right?

Blacky
July 24th, 2017, 08:58 AM
so the better response will be helpful, but since i have a ls1b that means there is nothing that i can do to go faster than 10hz with efilive, right?

The scan speeds for LS1B can be faster than 10Hz (if you sacrifice some PIDs). See page 186 of the V7 Scan Tool manual (Use the menu option from within the V7 Scan Tool: Help->Help Contents).
Regards
Paul