PDA

View Full Version : How to use a ratcheting wrench

joecar
May 29th, 2006, 04:29 AM
I'm pulling the RH side exhaust manifold rear bolt from below the car (F-body), so I slip a non-reverible GearWrench on the bolt; the bolt is very tight and I don't have enough leverage, so I ratchet the GearWrench... and it get's jammed up against the firewall/sheet metal... lol... :D

I don't have enough leverage to undo the bolt, I can't pull the GearWrench off the bolt, and I can't slip another wrench over the end of it for extra leverage... it's jammed in there TIGHT... :bash:

Finally got it off using a large screwdriver to pry it off the stupid bolt... :moon1: lol...:banana:

Black02SS
May 29th, 2006, 04:31 AM
What is funny I have done that myself SEVERAL times. :muahaha:

TAQuickness
May 29th, 2006, 05:48 AM
me too. Reversible gear wrenches are a great investment.

joecar
May 29th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I got some reversible and some non-reversible, but somehow I reached for the non-reversible one.

Got my headers bolted up tonight just now... :cheers:; tomorrow I'll bolt up the cats and Y, and install new spark plugs.

Edit: and I only got 1.5 knuckle scrapes, and many scratches up my arms. :bash:
Edit: I just washed my head, my arms/hands and my knees, you should see our bathroom sink and floor.... :eek: :muahaha:

caver
May 30th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Yet another reason I dont have any of those in my tool box. :)

joecar
May 30th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Under the right condition, in the right situation, they can speed things up, but the condition/situation isn't always right. :bash:

joecar
May 31st, 2006, 01:44 AM
I wonder what trouble I can get into with a Flex-GearWrench... lol...:muahaha:

caver
May 31st, 2006, 06:24 AM
I have some at work and the head is normally to big for what I want to do.
A set of the Gearwrench ones goes for about R1200 here and thats a bit steep for me to lay out on something for occasional use.
What are they downunder $150 or so?

TAQuickness
May 31st, 2006, 09:30 AM
my flex head set ran about $100US (Gearwrench). Fixed head was about $60 (Craftsman).

joecar
June 15th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Ok, running around with LT's (w/cats) now, banging on car flloor 99% eliminated, minor adjustment required over time (Y pipe clearance to RH side of driveshaft tunnel is about 1/4", I can see the bang mark on the tunnel :bash: )...

Auto VE Tuning in progress, noticed the VE table does not change by very much at all (car does pull harder across the rpm range, sounds louder, wakes me up for my morning commute, deep rumble masks out piston slap noise :D ), BEN's are pretty much at 1.00, no more than 2% over in upper rpm range... does this sound right (sanity check)...?

(I did do closed loop to check trims for signs of leaks, trims very slightly negative (-0.x), pretty much equal to each other, no leaks; also no physical signs or sounds of leaks).

joecar
June 16th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Anyone have any tuning observations in regards to headers/extractors...?