PDA

View Full Version : CVIN number. Educate me please.

PRAY
June 29th, 2016, 12:06 PM
I just bought a 2016 Camaro SS and was asking the service manager what mods I could get away with under warrantee. He didn't get deep into it but when we got to tunes he said since 2008 they could tell if a tune was done and removed for warrantee issues. What he did say though is that they only check the CVN number. His buddy has HPT and has figured out a way to tune under the stock CVN number so it doesn't leave a marker. I didn't get to talk to him much more about it so I figure I would post up here to see if anyone is doing this with EFI Live and how can I do it. This car is painfully slow and want to start my mods.

Snipesy
June 29th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Well... Theoretically there are 2^16 possible CVN combinations. Which is not very many. Find some bytes you can change and just have a program brute force it until the CVN matches stock. Only problem is you can't just snag the unencrypted file from EFI Live, so you'll have to work around that...

Other way is to somehow clear the history. Which would require a lot of time and effort...

Orrrrr just fight them. Yes you flashed a different CVN but so what? They can't prove anything with that. You'll probably end up almost going to court over that... But in time you'd win.

PRAY
June 29th, 2016, 08:51 PM
CVN number. Sorry about that. I guess I didn't hear him properly. Sounds like it is above my pay grade and not worth messing with it. I was hoping it was doable. Thanks for the response. I guess I will just have to roll the dice or find a dealership that will warrantee a tune.

GMPX
July 28th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Our software used to have CVN correction built in too, but had to be removed for legal reasons.

PRAY
July 29th, 2016, 11:11 AM
That sucks. Understandable though. Most of the hand-helds are claiming they are undetectable now. Only time will tell.

Road
July 30th, 2016, 11:05 AM
My understanding is that to ignore the cvn changes you have to disable the processor checksum. Which would leave you wide open for liability. Bad things can happen when you ignore processors errors. Can't imagine anyone wanting that liability.

PRAY
July 30th, 2016, 11:08 AM
One point a lawyer stated on one of the forums was that since they say it is for "off road use only" they can get away with it. That was very paraphrased of course.

Road
July 30th, 2016, 01:57 PM
One point a lawyer stated on one of the forums was that since they say it is for "off road use only" they can get away with it. That was very paraphrased of course.
If it's off road use then why worry with cvn and the liability?

PRAY
July 30th, 2016, 11:02 PM
I was trying to state what these other tuning companies are using as a liability shelter for apparently breaking the law. Very few people would buy hand held tuners if the manufacture couldn't or wouldn't make the claim that it won't void your warrantee. Check out the Camaro 6 board, I have never seen people so worried about how to get away with modding and not voiding their warrantee. I think that disclaimer is how any manufacture of aftermarket parts stays in business and stays legal. They know 99% of their customers have no intention of keeping their products off of public highways. Headers and exhaust parts come to mind first. And God forbid you live in Commifornia where I grew up. Most companies are not going to spend the money and time to get their product C.A.R.B. EO approved.

GMC-2002-Dmax
July 31st, 2016, 12:14 AM
My opinion is if you are tuning the vehicle then you accept the consequences including a warranty void.

If you don't want to play and lose a warranty then leave it 100% stock.

Even altering one thing like tire size for different tires will change the CVN and could be a potential reason for a warranty void.

It is your choice as the vehicle owner to tune or not, my 2013 Vette had that stupid skip shift, I tuned it out, no power added, and it was my choice, warranty is voided even though I didn't add any power if GM wanted to use it as any excuse for warranty claims.

Due to that I accept all responsibility for my choice.

PRAY
July 31st, 2016, 01:35 AM
My opinion is if you are tuning the vehicle then you accept the consequences including a warranty void.

If you don't want to play and lose a warranty then leave it 100% stock.

Even altering one thing like tire size for different tires will change the CVN and could be a potential reason for a warranty void.

It is your choice as the vehicle owner to tune or not, my 2013 Vette had that stupid skip shift, I tuned it out, no power added, and it was my choice, warranty is voided even though I didn't add any power if GM wanted to use it as any excuse for warranty claims.

Due to that I accept all responsibility for my choice.

I agree to a point. If you are changing something that can cause failure then you are on your own. Having skip shift or wheel size changes void your warrantee is rediculous.

PRAY
July 31st, 2016, 01:40 AM
I also think GM runs more of a danger of a higher payout on warrantee claims by not letting people tune for the mods they are going to do anyway. Boltons are completely removable and un traceable or hard to prove I should say. Person mods with no tune. Breaks car, removes mods and makes a claim. Computer was never touched so there is no proof.

GMPX
July 31st, 2016, 10:46 AM
My understanding is that to ignore the cvn changes you have to disable the processor checksum. Which would leave you wide open for liability. Bad things can happen when you ignore processors errors. Can't imagine anyone wanting that liability.
Actually no it isn't necessary to disable checksums and integrity checks, some tricks can be done to have the CVN remain the same even though the data has been changed. It was a shame we had to remove it but thanks to another company who shall remain nameless that informed the EPA about this feature we had we were left with no choice.

Road
July 31st, 2016, 11:24 AM
Actually no it isn't necessary to disable checksums and integrity checks, some tricks can be done to have the CVN remain the same even though the data has been changed. It was a shame we had to remove it but thanks to another company who shall remain nameless that informed the EPA about this feature we had we were left with no choice.
It's a cut throat world we live in and it's probably the same company that is famous for setting internal fault codes causing excessive warranty claims on ecm's. Looks like the EPA is more involved in controlling tuning than we are aware of....

joecar
July 31st, 2016, 12:51 PM
I think you should name that other company so everyone will know who is responsible for telling the EPA.

GMPX
July 31st, 2016, 01:09 PM
Who would you think Joe? The same company that tried to have EFILive banned from SEMA, the same company that recently stole IP from us and used as their own, the same company that has never conducted their business with any morals or respect shown to their competitors.

GMPX
July 31st, 2016, 01:10 PM
It's a cut throat world we live in and it's probably the same company that is famous for setting internal fault codes causing excessive warranty claims on ecm's.
Care to elaborate on that any more? I haven't heard of this one.

joecar
July 31st, 2016, 03:54 PM
Who would you think Joe? The same company that tried to have EFILive banned from SEMA, the same company that recently stole IP from us and used as their own, the same company that has never conducted their business with any morals or respect shown to their competitors.I'm simply saying let people know (not everyone is aware of what goes on behind the scenes).

GMPX
July 31st, 2016, 04:40 PM
At the end of the day Joe it doesn't change anything to name and shame, we've never operated like that and I sleep easy at night knowing we haven't needed to stoop to such lows, a clear concious is a healthy state of mind.

joecar
July 31st, 2016, 07:11 PM
Yes, I know... it just leaves a person feeling burned up about the unjustness of it all.

PRAY
July 31st, 2016, 08:50 PM
Yes, I know... it just leaves a person feeling burned up about the unjustness of it all.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to hit a nerve. I was just trying to learn. But now I have even more reasons to always push EFI Live when people ask me about tuning software.

Road
July 31st, 2016, 10:18 PM
Care to elaborate on that any more? I haven't heard of this one.
From what I have experienced is the EDGE will give internal performance errors. More so in the last few years.