PDA

View Full Version : What all do I need to remove VATS and O2 sensors from my 5.3 PCM?

RGNHD
August 8th, 2016, 05:34 AM
Hey guys.

I have been in the process of swapping a 5.3 into my 240sx.
I'm at the process that I am ready to start the car however I need to Disable VAT's and the Knock sensors as I am not going to be running those.
The motor is completely stock other than a LS1 Intake and accessories.
I'm at the point that I would like to remove VAT's and knock sensors myself.

I'm a little confused on what all I need to buy in order to accomplish this.
Do I simply need a OBD2 to USB cable and then just the EFILive software?

09354896 - is also the PCM that I am using.

ScarabEpic22
August 8th, 2016, 05:44 AM
Hi, you need to purchase an EFILive FlashScan V2 with the GM Tuning (http://www.efilive.com/flashscan/flashscan-v2-with-gm-tuning-option) option. EFILive software does not work with any other hardware except EFILive's FlashScan V2 (or AutoCal, for remote tuning only).

Once you have purchased a FlashScan V2, you can connect to your PCM, read the stock/existing tune out, open in the Tune tool, disabled the VATS parameters, disable the knock sensors, save, and flash it back to the PCM.

Im assuming this is a Gen III 5.3, even changing the intake means you should retune it to compensate for the differences in airflow. You need a wideband O2 sensor to accomplish this (and a FlashScan V2).

Regarding the knock sensors, I really wouldn't recommend disabling them. I would highly recommend you add them in so your PCM can detect knock and potentially save your engine if you get bad gas or something goes wrong.

Happy to answer any other questions you have, this sounds like a fun project car! (A pic or 2 would be awesome as well)