PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking autocal

Blackice
September 29th, 2016, 09:27 AM
I have an Autocal from a tuning company. Is there a way that it can be unlocked to except tune files from another company without sending it to the original licenser?

Blacky
September 29th, 2016, 09:39 AM
You must either send your AutoCal back to the original* tuner or have the tuner send you an un-link code that allows you to un-link the AutoCal without sending it back.
Either way you need the tuner who originally linked the AutoCal to agree to unlink the AutoCal.

* The original tuner means the tuner who controls the FlashScan device to which your AutoCal is linked.

Regards
Paul

Blackice
September 29th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Thank you! I was worried about shipping times and having to wait. I'll try for the un-link code. Once I have the code, where do I go from there. Sorry, I'm new to this

Blacky
September 29th, 2016, 09:58 AM
If the original tuner un-links your AutoCal, you'll need to find a different tuner that can re-link your AutoCal (again via a code, or by shipping your AutoCal to the tuner). Then that tuner can supply you with tunes for your AutoCal device.
Not sure if you're aware, but the AutoCal device requires being linked to a FlashScan device. It can only flash tunes created by the FlashScan device to which it is linked. So it needs to be linked to someone's FlashScan.

Regards
Paul

Blackice
September 29th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Yes, I already have another tuner in mind. Just wasn't sure what to do with the un-link code once I received it.

minytrker
September 29th, 2016, 05:36 PM
You must either send your AutoCal back to the original* tuner or have the tuner send you an un-link code that allows you to un-link the AutoCal without sending it back.
Either way you need the tuner who originally linked the AutoCal to agree to unlink the AutoCal.

* The original tuner means the tuner who controls the FlashScan device to which your AutoCal is linked.

Regards
Paul

How do you unlink an autocal through email, didnt know that was possible?

cindy@efilive
September 29th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Changes were made to linking and unlinking AutoCal in this weeks Public Beta release.

More information can be found here http://www.efilive.com/latest/autocal-remote-linking-and-unlinking/

Cheers
Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mitco39
September 30th, 2016, 05:11 AM
I didnt know that either, great addition guys!

cindy@efilive
September 30th, 2016, 10:42 AM
It adds convenience for sure, but it also comes with some risks. Just make sure you are comfortable with the reuse of link/unlink codes.

Unlike activation codes that are issued by EFILive, the remote link and unlink codes are reusable and may be used by the AutoCal customer indefinitely. As a tuner, if you choose to issue both the remote link and a remote unlink codes for a single AutoCal device and another tuner also issues both the remote link and unlink codes for that same AutoCal device, then the owner (and all subsequent owners) of that AutoCal device will be able to re-configure their AutoCal device so that it will be capable of flashing tune files from both tuners.

Cheers
Cindy

BADCADDY
October 14th, 2016, 08:31 PM
If the original tuner is no longer around is there another way to unlock an auto cal so I can link it to my flash scan?

Blacky
October 16th, 2016, 07:27 AM
If the original tuner is no longer around is there another way to unlock an auto cal so I can link it to my flash scan?

Not without the consent of the original tuner.

Regards
Paul

Mitco39
October 17th, 2016, 04:42 AM
I have been running into an issue after this latest release. I have been drop shipping the odd autocal and using the self link option where it would link to the first file that it was flashed with. Did this option get removed when adding this new unlocking and locking method? If at all possible I would love to have it back as it just makes it so much easier than manually logging into their computers and linking up the autocals as they get them.

cindy@efilive
October 17th, 2016, 08:28 AM
Hi Mitch, it's a feature change that was documented in the release notes and was in the last newsletter. The details can be found here. https://www.efilive.com/latest/cat/newsletter/post/autocal-remote-linking-and-unlinking

Tune files providing the link won't be coming back. The change is designed to reduce the unauthorised sharing of tune files. Tuners have reported unscrupulous people/tuners purchasing blank AutoCals and adding another tuners tune files without permission. With the tune file providing the hardware link, the tuner wasn't being paid for their work. Under the new scenario, the tuners FlashScan needs to provide the link.

You'll either need to link FlashScan to AutoCal physically before despatch or provide the remote link code.

Cheers
Cindy

Mitco39
October 18th, 2016, 03:04 AM
Hi Mitch, it's a feature change that was documented in the release notes and was in the last newsletter. The details can be found here. https://www.efilive.com/latest/cat/newsletter/post/autocal-remote-linking-and-unlinking

Tune files providing the link won't be coming back. The change is designed to reduce the unauthorised sharing of tune files. Tuners have reported unscrupulous people/tuners purchasing blank AutoCals and adding another tuners tune files without permission. With the tune file providing the hardware link, the tuner wasn't being paid for their work. Under the new scenario, the tuners FlashScan needs to provide the link.

You'll either need to link FlashScan to AutoCal physically before despatch or provide the remote link code.

Cheers
Cindy

But wouldn't a VIN or serial lock keep this from happening? IE if the tune is linked to a set serial number it doesnt matter how many autocals the customer would buy it would only be good for that one truck? If not then what am I missing, trying to think of how you would get around that at all.

Or is this simply to force the sale of the autocal to the dealer? And thus the dealer wont use an autocal they didn't themselves sell the customer, at least not without their permission?

Thanks

Mitch

Blacky
October 18th, 2016, 07:51 AM
But wouldn't a VIN or serial lock keep this from happening? IE if the tune is linked to a set serial number it doesnt matter how many autocals the customer would buy it would only be good for that one truck? If not then what am I missing, trying to think of how you would get around that at all.

Or is this simply to force the sale of the autocal to the dealer? And thus the dealer wont use an autocal they didn't themselves sell the customer, at least not without their permission?

Thanks

Mitch

Yes a VIN or serial lock would "solve" the problem. However, that is not practical for large tuners that send tunes to hundreds if not thousands of customers. It is difficult and time consuming to create hundreds of tune files, one for each specific customer's vehicle. I.e. the tuner would need to collect each customer's controller's serial number, enter that into the tune file and then load that specific tune on to the customer's AutoCal. Then if the tuner updates his tune, he then has to go and update hundreds of tune files (one for each customer) before sending out the updated tune to all his customers.

A bit of history:
The original design for AutoCal was that they must always be linked before shipping them to a customer to prevent the problem described below. Some tuners accidentally shipped un-linked AutoCals and it was time consuming and costly to recall the AutoCals to have them linked correctly. So for convenience we added the option to allow the tune file (which already had the link information embedded in it) to be used to remotely link the AutoCal.

The problem:
Unfortunately (but in hindsight, inevitably) some "enterprising" tuners realized they could copy another tuner's tune files (which were already linked to the original tuner's AutoCals) and deliver them to new customers with a blank AutoCal and the AutoCal would link to that tune file and tune the customers' vehicles. The original tuner was cut out of the loop. That is not fair on the original tuner.

The Solution:
So we've moved to a new system for remote linking. Now an AutoCal can still be shipped in an un-linked state. However the only way to remotely link it back to the tuner's FlashScan is for the tuner to generate a remote link code and email that to the customer. The customer then enters that code into his AutoCal and the AutoCal is linked to the original tuner's FlashScan. No other "enterprising" tuner can generate the correct link code and so the original tuner's tune files cannot be on-sold by those other tuners.

Regards
Paul

GMC-2002-Dmax
October 18th, 2016, 02:34 PM
If the remote linked files are specific to that autocal sn only then it's only good for that autocal, correct??

Blacky
October 18th, 2016, 02:41 PM
If the remote linked files are specific to that autocal sn only then it's only good for that autocal, correct??

If you secure the file using the remote AutoCal's serial number using the "serial number" security option then yes, the file can only be flashed using that single AutoCal.

But the normal/automated AutoCal linking is based on the license number which is shared between all the tuner's linked AutoCals.

Regards
Paul

GMC-2002-Dmax
October 19th, 2016, 05:01 AM
If you secure the file using the remote AutoCal's serial number using the "serial number" security option then yes, the file can only be flashed using that single AutoCal.

But the normal/automated AutoCal linking is based on the license number which is shared between all the tuner's linked AutoCals.

Regards
Paul

I never just send anything out to remote link without Serial Number restrictions, so I guess I am not too worried about relinking without my consent.

Thanks.

I put as many restrictions on as possible, especially ecm SN#, that one is KING !!

Mitco39
October 19th, 2016, 03:03 PM
I do as well Tony.

I dont fully understand how dealers can market mass amounts of tunes without at least correcting the vin on each and every tune, and if they have to correct the vin arent they doing this on a truck by truck basis and if so wouldnt it be just as easy to add the SN number in at the same time?

Its not the end of the world though, remote linking works just fine, just adds another step to go through, plus we get the added convenience of remote unlocking.

Blacky
October 20th, 2016, 07:25 AM
I do as well Tony.

I dont fully understand how dealers can market mass amounts of tunes without at least correcting the vin on each and every tune, and if they have to correct the vin arent they doing this on a truck by truck basis and if so wouldnt it be just as easy to add the SN number in at the same time?

Its not the end of the world though, remote linking works just fine, just adds another step to go through, plus we get the added convenience of remote unlocking.

The VIN does not need to be changed in the file for each target controller. Most tuners would set the VIN to something generic, like with 6 zeros at the end.
The VIN is not updated in the ECM as part of the reflash process.

Regards
Paul

DURAtotheMAX
October 24th, 2016, 01:55 AM
The VIN is not updated in the ECM as part of the reflash process.

Regards
Paul

Except technically on LB7 and LS1, where the VIN is part of the main flash, and subsequently gets erased/re-written during a full-flash...no?

Ben

GMC-2002-Dmax
October 24th, 2016, 02:34 AM
Ahh no.

I flashed LB7 ecms quite a lot, the VIN is never changed unless the ECM gets hosed up on the FULL FLASH.

Not sure on LS1

GMC-2002-Dmax
October 24th, 2016, 02:41 AM
Not without the consent of the original tuner.

Regards
Paul

I have a question regarding consent, if the tuner is not in business anymore, makes no difference why, and customers now have a device they cannot use, or if they have a tuner refusing to unlink a device, is that it. ???

Oh well, sorry about your luck, gotta buy a new device ??

I know EFI-Live has no control over the tuner, the policy, etc.

But if the company is out of business it kinda sucks for the customer.

I understand it from both sides, as someone who sells autocals and has had customers contact me that their "TUNER" is being difficult or has refused to help them anymore and or is just being difficult with getting updates sent, and they want a switch to someone else and cannot get any support for the device getting unlinked.

Just wondering if that is it ?? As in they are SOL !

Blacky
October 24th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Except technically on LB7 and LS1, where the VIN is part of the main flash, and subsequently gets erased/re-written during a full-flash...no?

Ben

No. For LS1 and LB7, during a full flash EFILive saves the NVRAM area prior to erasing it, and during the reflash it writes the saved NVRAM area back to the flash. The VIN and other important info is stored in the NVRAM area and should be retained as far as is possible. Obviously if a full-flash crashes after erasing the NVRAM and before re-writing it it can cause the NVRAM to not be restored correctly.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
October 24th, 2016, 09:49 AM
I have a question regarding consent, if the tuner is not in business anymore, makes no difference why, and customers now have a device they cannot use, or if they have a tuner refusing to unlink a device, is that it. ???

Oh well, sorry about your luck, gotta buy a new device ??

I know EFI-Live has no control over the tuner, the policy, etc.

But if the company is out of business it kinda sucks for the customer.

I understand it from both sides, as someone who sells autocals and has had customers contact me that their "TUNER" is being difficult or has refused to help them anymore and or is just being difficult with getting updates sent, and they want a switch to someone else and cannot get any support for the device getting unlinked.

Just wondering if that is it ?? As in they are SOL !

The "contract" of an AutoCal sale is between the tuner and his customer we can't interfere with that. EFILive sells AutoCals to tuners with the contractual obligation that it is (will be) linked to that tuner's FlashScan and that tuner then controls that AutoCal. We won't unlink an AutoCal without the tuner's consent. If the tuner is out of business and/or the tuner no longer has his FlashScan and physically can't unlink the AutoCals, BUT the tuner is OK with the AutoCals being unlinked then EFILive may unlink them. However, EFILive will not do that unless EFILive receives written authorization* from the registered owner of the FlashScan device to which the AutoCal is linked.

* written authorization includes an email from the same email address under which FlashScan was registered.

Regards
Paul

GMC-2002-Dmax
October 24th, 2016, 12:08 PM
The "contract" of an AutoCal sale is between the tuner and his customer we can't interfere with that. EFILive sells AutoCals to tuners with the contractual obligation that it is (will be) linked to that tuner's FlashScan and that tuner then controls that AutoCal. We won't unlink an AutoCal without the tuner's consent. If the tuner is out of business and/or the tuner no longer has his FlashScan and physically can't unlink the AutoCals, BUT the tuner is OK with the AutoCals being unlinked then EFILive may unlink them. However, EFILive will not do that unless EFILive receives written authorization* from the registered owner of the FlashScan device to which the AutoCal is linked.

* written authorization includes an email from the same email address under which FlashScan was registered.

Regards
Paul

I understand that hands get tied, it's too bad, but it is how it is.

DURAtotheMAX
October 25th, 2016, 12:32 AM
Ahh no.

I flashed LB7 ecms quite a lot, the VIN is never changed unless the ECM gets hosed up on the FULL FLASH.

Not sure on LS1

Right, thats what I was referring to.

The LB7 and LS1 are different than the newer controllers as far as where/how the VIN/serial number are stored.

IdahoRob
November 11th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Does the remote link/unlink code work for all the autocals the tuner has sent out with the same V2 license, or does a new code need to be generated for each individual autocal on a case by case basis?

Thank you,

cindy@efilive
November 11th, 2016, 08:27 AM
The link/unlink codes are unique to the device pairs.

With FlashScan connected if you were to generate link/unlink codes for 5 different Autocals each code would be different.

With a different FlashScan connected, if you generated link/unlink codes for those same 5 Autocals each code would be different to the codes previously generated.

Taking one of those AutoCals aside, the 2 link codes per AutoCal could link the device if it was not already linked, and the 2 unlink codes could unlink the device, but which code would be valid at any particular time would be dependent on the FlashScan that provided the link. Those codes can be reused for that unique AutoCal/FlashScan pair.

If your customer had your link and unlink codes, and the link/unlink codes of another tuner he then has the tools to switch between the 2 sets of tunes at any time.

Cheers
Cindy