PDA

View Full Version : Help creating calc.PID's for AEM 30-0300

chambiec1
November 17th, 2016, 05:09 PM
Hey guys, new here.. and new to tuning. Trying to get the correct PID's written for my WB, and having some issues. I'm still fairly new to tuning so I'm hoping I can get some help.

I have the AEM 30-0300 WB installed in my truck. I am trying to set up to run analog through the A1 port of my v2. I have found similar PID's that get me close, but not all calc's are working. Trying to get it set up to where I can do the Calc.VET tuning tomorrow, and have been able to get the WB reading on the software, but cant get a proper calc.ben equation. If someone could do me a huge favor and figure up the equations to get my AEM running properly, that would be awesome!

Sorry for the noob first post..

-Casey

joecar
November 19th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Post your user manual pdf.

chambiec1
November 21st, 2016, 08:22 AM
Post your user manual pdf.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/files/instructions/30-0300.pdf

here you go, Joe.

joecar
November 21st, 2016, 06:55 PM
I have a recent calc pid for it in another thread on the forum, I just have to find it.

( cool, I noticed it has canbus ability, FSV2 will be able to use this soon )

chambiec1
November 21st, 2016, 07:35 PM
I have a recent calc pid for it in another thread on the forum, I just have to find it.

Appreciate the reply. I know in the thread directly below this, you helped with a calc.pid file for the AEM 30-4900. I tried to use that list but couldn't get it to work.

I'm new to tuning myself, trying to dial in my RAFPN/RAFIG and then perform a calc.VET on my '03 silverado lm7 with headers, MIT tube, LT's with ORY, cam'd and stalled. It currently had a mail order tune from a reputable company, but I just want to tweak it and get it dialed in perfectly.

From my countless hours of reading and reasearching the forums, it seems like you're one for he guys to go to when it involved pid's and general knowledge, so I really appreciate you responding!

-Casey

joecar
November 21st, 2016, 10:21 PM
Casey,

In that thread, see post #11, copy the calc_pids.txt file that is attached there

post #11 (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=233575)

joecar
November 21st, 2016, 10:28 PM
It's too hard to do on my phone, so tomorrow I'll merge the above calc pid into the Calc.VET calc_pids.txt file.

chambiec1
November 22nd, 2016, 06:39 AM
It's too hard to do on my phone, so tomorrow I'll merge the above calc pid into the Calc.VET calc_pids.txt file.

Awesome Joe, Thank you. I have those PID's in my calc.pid list, I was having trouble getting all of the PID's to validate. I will try it today and see if I can get it to work appropriately.

ScarabEpic22
November 22nd, 2016, 07:27 AM

Hate to say it Joe, but actually this unit will not be able to use the FSV2 CAN bus logging. Until the 30-0333 (and upcoming 30-0334) unit, AEM used their proprietary AEMnet CAN protocol (30-0300 included). So you can link it to other AEM products that use the same protocol, but not via OBDII logging.

Also, from what I've read and been told, you cannot have both AEMnet and CAN/OBDII protocols active on the same unit at the same time. The 30-0333/4 units do not support AEMnet, but support CAN/OBDII. (I believe they're all the same hardware, just with different firmwares flashed. I cannot confirm this, nor do I believe AEM will allow the end-user to flash their own firmwares.)

joecar
November 22nd, 2016, 08:54 AM
Awesome Joe, Thank you. I have those PID's in my calc.pid list, I was having trouble getting all of the PID's to validate. I will try it today and see if I can get it to work appropriately.The pids that don't validate (have a red X thru them), on the pid do rightclick->More Info to see what other pids it depends on, go and select/validate those also.

Post screenshots if you get stuck.

joecar
November 22nd, 2016, 08:55 AM
Hate to say it Joe, but actually this unit will not be able to use the FSV2 CAN bus logging. Until the 30-0333 (and upcoming 30-0334) unit, AEM used their proprietary AEMnet CAN protocol (30-0300 included). So you can link it to other AEM products that use the same protocol, but not via OBDII logging.

Also, from what I've read and been told, you cannot have both AEMnet and CAN/OBDII protocols active on the same unit at the same time. The 30-0333/4 units do not support AEMnet, but support CAN/OBDII. (I believe they're all the same hardware, just with different firmwares flashed. I cannot confirm this, nor do I believe AEM will allow the end-user to flash their own firmwares.)Hey Erik,

Thanks for clearing that up, I was not aware of that.

chambiec1
November 22nd, 2016, 09:05 AM
Here's my current PID list. I've gotten them all to validate, but haven't got a chance to run a log and make sure all is working... will update when I get a chance/have any issues.

joecar
November 22nd, 2016, 12:09 PM
Remember to save your selected pids to file (from PIDs tab's toolbar click the save-as button).

chambiec1
November 22nd, 2016, 12:32 PM
Remember to save your selected pids to file (from PIDs tab's toolbar click the save-as button).

Yes sir, I've got them saved as a calc.VET pid list

chambiec1
November 23rd, 2016, 08:18 AM
Hey Joe.. I'm getting this error when trying to copy the selben map to my MAF table... any ideas on what I may have done wrong? I'm sure I copied the tutorial word for word, so I'm confused as to where I may have gone wrong.

Thanks! PS: the PID's worked perfect

chambiec1
November 23rd, 2016, 08:23 AM
Which, granted, I'm coming up with a value of 1.0 for everything... if I multiply by 1 all the values are going to come out the same...

chambiec1
November 23rd, 2016, 08:29 AM
And this is how my VE table came out after pasting the values from the calc.vet log.. some of those cells seem extremely high to me

chambiec1
November 23rd, 2016, 08:34 AM
Heres the values it came up with, and I attached my log file as well...

joecar
November 23rd, 2016, 01:34 PM
Hey Joe.. I'm getting this error when trying to copy the selben map to my MAF table... any ideas on what I may have done wrong? I'm sure I copied the tutorial word for word, so I'm confused as to where I may have gone wrong.

Thanks! PS: the PID's worked perfect

20459Goto the MAF table in the tunefile, and on the blank tile in upper left do rigthclick->Copy-with-Labels.

Then goto map in scantool, go into the map properties, and on each of Row and Col tabs click Paste Labels (do this without other steps in between, to avoid c hanging the contents of the Windows clipboard).

Remember to save the map properties.

joecar
November 23rd, 2016, 01:37 PM
Which, granted, I'm coming up with a value of 1.0 for everything... if I multiply by 1 all the values are going to come out the same...

20460Goto map properties, and in the Data tab set the Precision to 3 or 4.

BTW: also go the the Cells tab and constrain the cell width (to make the map narrower to make it easier to look at).

joecar
November 23rd, 2016, 01:39 PM
And this is how my VE table came out after pasting the values from the calc.vet log.. some of those cells seem extremely high to me

That is VE in % units... wow, those are large VE's... are you boosted...?

Maybe when you get the MAF corrected the calculated VE will come down.

BTW: on the map properties Data tab, checkmark Show Units.

Questions:
- is your IFR table B4001 correct for your injectors and rail pressure (which you measured)...?
- does IFR take into account whether FPR is manifold-referenced (flat) or not (sloped with sqrt)...?

chambiec1
November 24th, 2016, 06:53 AM
That is VE in % units... wow, those are large VE's... are you boosted...?

Maybe when you get the MAF corrected the calculated VE will come down.

BTW: on the map properties Data tab, checkmark Show Units.

Questions:
- is your IFR table B4001 correct for your injectors and rail pressure (which you measured)...?
- does IFR take into account whether FPR is manifold-referenced (flat) or not (sloped with sqrt)...?

Not boosted. 2003 Silverado, long tubes, offroad y-pipe, airaid MIT tube, and 218/224 .553 113+3 cam from BTR. Stall converter, built trans, 4.88 gears.

Injectors are stock. Everything else on the truck is stock.

chambiec1
November 24th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I got the MAF values to transfer over... I'll have to double/triple check everything else, and run another log to see what I get for the VE. If it comes up with strange values again, I'll have to track down the problem.

joecar
November 24th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Post log/tune and calc_pids.txt files.

chambiec1
November 24th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Post log/tune and calc_pids.txt files.

Here's the pid's, log, and the current tune on the truck. The current tune is a professional mail order tune, that I've been tweaking on to get it perfect. As we speak, I have just done the RAFPN and RAFIG process once each... have not loaded anything from the calc.VET process onto the truck yet. The log was from attempting the calc.VET.

If you see anything that jumps out at you, by all means let me know. The truck doesn't run bad, just trying to dial in the tune, and work through a few idle quality issues / get the idle sounding a bit better.

Appreciate the help, Joe.

joecar
November 24th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Here's the pid's, log, and the current tune on the truck. The current tune is a professional mail order tune, that I've been tweaking on to get it perfect. As we speak, I have just done the RAFPN and RAFIG process once each... have not loaded anything from the calc.VET process onto the truck yet. The log was from attempting the calc.VET.

If you see anything that jumps out at you, by all means let me know. The truck doesn't run bad, just trying to dial in the tune, and work through a few idle quality issues / get the idle sounding a bit better.

Appreciate the help, Joe.I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

Which pid are you using as the BEN pid...? Are you using serial comms...?

chambiec1
November 24th, 2016, 03:52 PM
I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

Which pid are you using as the BEN pid...? Are you using serial comms...?
To be honest, I'm not sure I rightfully know. I was logging calc.aem1 ben and that's the factor I used in map B

And I'm running the WB analog trough A1

chambiec1
November 25th, 2016, 07:38 AM
Here's a log I just ran, Joe. Still getting some fairly high values for the VE table. One thing I noticed, is that my LTFT are fairly well positive.. not sure if that could be throwing me off or not.

But I double and triple checked everything as far as I know in my calc.VET process, and I'm fairly sure I've got everything right.. I'm not sure if I've got a problem in one of my calc.pid's or what..

joecar
November 25th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Ok, I see what happened, you're using your AEM with analog connection, but the Calc.VET tutorial/thread uses serial comms...

so I modified your calc_pid.txt (see attached) so that CALC.WO2BEN uses CALC.AEM1.BEN, this allows you to follow the Calc.VET tutorial as it is written.

( since the CLC's are calculated in order, and now we need CALC.AEM1.BEN before CALC.WO2BEN and CALC.SELBEN, I repositioned the CLC in the text file to make it obvious )

chambiec1
November 25th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Ok, I see what happened, you're using your AEM with analog connection, but the Calc.VET tutorial/thread uses serial comms...

so I modified your calc_pid.txt (see attached) so that CALC.WO2BEN uses CALC.AEM1.BEN, this allows you to follow the Calc.VET tutorial as it is written.

( since the CLC's are calculated in order, and now we need CALC.AEM1.BEN before CALC.WO2BEN and CALC.SELBEN, I repositioned the CLC in the text file to make it obvious )

You're awesome, Joe. I'll run another datalog with the new PID's in the morning and post with what I come up with. I appreciate the help, these calc's can be a little confusing..

chambiec1
November 25th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Just for clarification, this will allow the calc.VET process to work properly with my current PID list? Or will I need to change it some..

joecar
November 26th, 2016, 06:36 PM
Just for clarification, this will allow the calc.VET process to work properly with my current PID list? Or will I need to change it some..Yes, correct, this calc_pids.txt allows you to do the Calc.VET process with your current pid list.

Please post a new log so I can sanity check it.

chambiec1
November 27th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Yes, correct, this calc_pids.txt allows you to do the Calc.VET process with your current pid list.

Please post a new log so I can sanity check it.

Will do when I get a chance to run one.. appreciate your help.

chambiec1
November 29th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Hey Joe.. here's the latest log, and a screen shot of B0101 after applying the new cell values.

The values themselves look much better... still some peaks and valleys, but I imagine a few more logs and some smoothing will take care of them. I'm going to do some smoothing and blending, and a few more logs and see where it ends up.

Let me know if you see anything that seems out of place!

chambiec1
November 29th, 2016, 10:50 AM
Another log, and some more smoothing of the VE table... getting rid of some of the extreme peaks and valleys...

chambiec1
November 29th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Maybe you could give me a little insight into my timing.. the last log (calc.vet4) I also monitored my spark adv, just to keep an eye on it.

Seems pretty erratic to me... since I am not running cats, should I zero out b5901 and b5902 to get rid of any correction from those two tables?

joecar
November 30th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Another log, and some more smoothing of the VE table... getting rid of some of the extreme peaks and valleys...

20481That's looking pretty good.

joecar
November 30th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Maybe you could give me a little insight into my timing.. the last log (calc.vet4) I also monitored my spark adv, just to keep an eye on it.

Seems pretty erratic to me... since I am not running cats, should I zero out b5901 and b5902 to get rid of any correction from those two tables?Ok, I'll take a look at it.

Also post .ctz file and calc_pids.txt file (makes it easier for me to view logs...)

( I have a number of different people running LS1B vs E38 vs E92, and running 1 or 2 wb's and running LTFT's or not... I group each person's stuff in their own folder, and I create a Windows symbolic link (Windows shortcut doesn't work) to their calc_pids.txt file ).

chambiec1
November 30th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Ok, I'll take a look at it.

Also post .ctz file and calc_pids.txt file (makes it easier for me to view logs...)

( I have a number of different people running LS1B vs E38 vs E92, and running 1 or 2 wb's and running LTFT's or not... I group each person's stuff in their own folder, and I create a Windows symbolic link (Windows shortcut doesn't work) to their calc_pids.txt file ).

The calc_pid.txt is the list you made for me a few posts above... I haven't changed anything since.

Here's the latest tune file, which I loaded after the last round of calc.vet (post #35 above). Just for clarification, I am running catless, front NDo2's are in place, rears are deleted, running the aem 30-0300 in place in the rear of the y-pipe. Truck is running well since the last log and tune... besides a slight issues of hunting for idle when pulling into a parking spot, and a slight surge when you let off the brake and start rolling (off throttle).
Since I've changed the VE table, I'm going to do another round of RAFPN and RAFIG in the morning, to see what airflow changes are needed for the fueling changes. I've also got to see whats causing such erratic correction throughout my timing curve.. although I'm not seeing any KR, during a long pull (30-100% throttle) you can feel a few dead spots where it feels like timing is being pulled. Best I can tell, its still roughly the stock timing tables, with a little bit of an increase in the low RPM ranges.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help.

-Casey

Scatfish
October 13th, 2017, 01:30 AM
Casey,

In that thread, see post #11, copy the calc_pids.txt file that is attached there

post #11 (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=233575)

So these will work for the 30-0300?

joecar
October 13th, 2017, 05:10 AM
I believe it should... can you please post the 30-0300 user manual pdf so I can check...

Scatfish
October 13th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Here is the pdf link for the 30-0300. When I save these, where do I put them? I know where the PID's are in 8, and have looked around where they are created, but I don't know how to put them there.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/files/...ns/30-0300.pdf

joecar
October 13th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Use V7... the calc_pids.txt file goes into the folder C:\Users\<you>\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration

I'll add this to the V8 calc pids and I'll post it tomorrow.

Scatfish
October 15th, 2017, 01:12 AM
Thank you Joe!

Scatfish
October 15th, 2017, 12:43 PM
I did some more reading, and I understand more about the PID's.

After looking at the .txt doc, Can the 30-4900 be changed to reflect the 30-0300?

CALC.AEM1 F050 CLC-00-050 "AFR,LAM,EQR,BEN" Wideband "AEM 30-4900 AFR,LAM,EQR,BEN"

I'm going to try to connect to the PCM this week and get it to valadate the PID's hopefully........

joecar
October 16th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Yes, that string can be changed to read 30-4900.

Scatfish
October 16th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Use V7... the calc_pids.txt file goes into the folder C:\Users\<you>\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration

I'll add this to the V8 calc pids and I'll post it tomorrow.

When the calc_pids.txt file is saved to that folder, is it supposed to create a list of pids to choose, or the AEM 30-0300.pid to choose, and the list of calc_pids under it?

There is the LC1 and some other widebands, but not the AEM. I think I'm missing a step, or something, but I don't know what it is. Should my LS1B be listed under the pids too.

I've read over a bunch of threads, but the info looks to be really scattered, and a few years old too. Is it all the same info, even with all the updates over the last few years?

Thanks.

joecar
October 16th, 2017, 08:05 PM
When the calc_pids.txt file is saved to that folder, is it supposed to create a list of pids to choose, or the AEM 30-0300.pid to choose, and the list of calc_pids under it? There is the LC1 and some other widebands, but not the AEM. I think I'm missing a step, or something, but I don't know what it is.
Open a Windows Explorer on the folder User Configuration and post a screenshot (you might like to use something like Greenshot... or go SHFT-PRTSCRN and save it to a .png).

Did you just copy the file calc_pids.txt to the folder User Configuration, or did you edit it also...?

Open the V7 scantool, goto the PIDs tab, click on the column heading Parameter to sort on that column, scroll down until you see the pid CALC.AEM1...

double click on the pid CALC.AEM1 to select it, if it has a red X thru it then on it go rightclick->More Info, this will show what its dependent pids are, you have to select those pids also.

Should my LS1B be listed under the pids too.I'm not sure what you're asking...?

I've read over a bunch of threads, but the info looks to be really scattered, and a few years old too. Is it all the same info, even with all the updates over the last few years?
Yes, and I have been trying to organize it and collect it... I will be more diligent.

Scatfish
October 17th, 2017, 05:36 AM
"Did you just copy the file calc_pids.txt to the folder User Configuration, or did you edit it also...?"

I just saved it like that, and it didn't show up.

I'll post a screen shot when I get home today.

Organizing it may prove to be a laborious endeavor. Thank for undertaking it.

joecar
October 17th, 2017, 05:41 AM
Make sure the file calc_pids.txt shows up inside the folder C:\Users\<you>\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration

( where <you> is your Windows username )

Scatfish
October 17th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Here is where it's saved:

Here is what I see when I select the PID's tab:

joecar
October 17th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Ok, now open the V7 scantool, and goto the PIDs tab...

and then, click on the heading of the column headed Parameter (click on the word Parameter) to sort on this column, then scroll down, you should see CALC.AEM1.

Scatfish
October 19th, 2017, 12:00 AM
Joe,

I had to take a couple days to do some fab work, so I've been out of pocket. After not looking at it for that time, I see what you are saying, and I feel like a dunce. Tunnel vision I guess or something, but I knew where to look, it just wasn't clicking in my mind.
It's there, but I can't try it out until maybe next month. I have a chance to use a scissor lift for a few weeks, and I have to get the conduit up and wire my lift for the shop, lighting, etc.

Thanks for all the help!!

joecar
October 19th, 2017, 07:14 AM
No worries...

articSS
December 9th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Joe,

I have copied the PID file in this thread into the folder and I still cant see the PID when I open up the 7.5 scan tool. There is nothing in there that says AEM. What am I doing wrong?

Scatfish
December 9th, 2017, 11:51 AM
I need to reread thru this and catch back up. I've dropped off the map since the flood from Harvey. Thank God I didn't leave my V2 at the shop!

articSS
December 9th, 2017, 04:22 PM
no mater what I do it wont show the AEM calculated pid. I can see all the rest ant if I try them all they don't read t he same as the gauge from the AEM 30-300 unit. Ive been reading for hours and I just cant make sense of what I'm doing wrong . Can I get some help here?

COS 5
EFILIVE V2
Analog input

joecar
December 11th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Joe,

I have copied the PID file in this thread into the folder and I still cant see the PID when I open up the 7.5 scan tool. There is nothing in there that says AEM. What am I doing wrong?

no mater what I do it wont show the AEM calculated pid. I can see all the rest ant if I try them all they don't read t he same as the gauge from the AEM 30-300 unit. Ive been reading for hours and I just cant make sense of what I'm doing wrong . Can I get some help here?

COS 5
EFILIVE V2
Analog input

Did you download this file calc_pids.txt (https://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20472&d=1480124326) and place it in the folder C:\Users\<you>\Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration...?

Start the V7 scantool, goto the PIDs tab, click on the column heading Parameter to sort by that column, then scroll down that column until you see CALC.AEM1...

post a screenshot.

Scatfish
March 23rd, 2018, 08:44 AM
Joe,

A lot has happened since I started to try to get this AEM Wideband going. I've put my dog to sleep cause of cancer, had hurricane Harvey run 8ft of water through my shop for three days, and lost both of my parens od Dec. 29th.

In light of that, I try to keep busy, and this AEM is a loose end I want to get back to working on. Here is a screen shot of the calc.pid in the 7.5 folder on my laptop. The address is a little different than you posted, but I believe that's just because I don't have my name assigned to this laptop:

Here is the screen shot of the pids in 7.5 scantool:

Does this look correct to you? I looked down in alphabetical order to where calc.pids would be, but that isnt there. I see the AEM Wideband up at the top, so I screen shotted that. Is that how it will show up?

Thanks.

joecar
March 24th, 2018, 03:19 AM
A lot has happened since I started to try to get this AEM Wideband going. I've put my dog to sleep cause of cancer, had hurricane Harvey run 8ft of water through my shop for three days, and lost both of my parens od Dec. 29th.

Those are all hard things, I hope all gets better for you.

In light of that, I try to keep busy, and this AEM is a loose end I want to get back to working on. Here is a screen shot of the calc.pid in the 7.5 folder on my laptop. The address is a little different than you posted, but I believe that's just because I don't have my name assigned to this laptop:

https://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21973&d=1521837712&thumb=1 (https://forum.efilive.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21973&d=1521837712)

That looks right.

Here is the screen shot of the pids in 7.5 scantool:

Does this look correct to you? I looked down in alphabetical order to where calc.pids would be, but that isnt there. I see the AEM Wideband up at the top, so I screen shotted that. Is that how it will show up?

Thanks.
On that page, on the pid CALC.AEM1 go rightclick->More Info and it will show you what other pids need to be selected...

it looks like you need to select the pid EXT.AD1.