PDA

View Full Version : benefit of EFILive on stock '98 vette?

RPOZ4Z
June 7th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Hello all!
I'm considering buying EFILive but I have a few questions.........

my car is basically stock with the exception of a blackwing filter and a granetelli MAF, I tuned the car with a MAF translator and EFILive V5 about 4 years ago, I plan on installing long tube headers and an LS6 intake in the future but don't have any plans on going any further than that.
I have been reading the forums for a little while, and I'm trying to understand the best route to go with what I have.

here are a few questions that I have not been able to get a solid answer on by searching the forum.

what kind of benefits can I expect out of tuning with EFILive on my stock '98?

should I get a wideband O2 to get the most out of a tune with EFILive?
or can I get a good tune with the stock O2's?

am I limited with my '98 PCM with the mods that I have and I plan on adding?
or is the '98 PCM just fine for what I have?

Thanks for listening to my newbie butt!:D
I'm sure I'll come up with a lot more questions!:cheers:

caver
June 7th, 2006, 05:51 AM
I have'nt done any 98's but I get anywhere between 15 and 20KW on trhe stock cars I do.
The first comment is normally about how much smoother it is followed by how itr pulls.
I reckon you will be happy with the gains

joecar
June 7th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Using a wideband, you can dial in your tune so that the actual AFR matches the commanded AFR;
this way you can precisely adjust your AFR and timing for best power, especially after installing headers or other mods.

You can do other things like lowering the fan temps.

Redline Motorsports
June 7th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Every stock LS1 car we pull on the dyno is pig rich. Just leaning it out a bit would clean it up. Throw a couple degrees of timing at it would also help. Turn the fans on earlier and maybe firm up the shifts (if its an auto!)

Good car to practice tuning!:cheers:

RPOZ4Z
June 7th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Every stock LS1 car we pull on the dyno is pig rich. Just leaning it out a bit would clean it up. Throw a couple degrees of timing at it would also help. Turn the fans on earlier and maybe firm up the shifts (if its an auto!)

Good car to practice tuning!:cheers:

Already leaned it out with the MAF translator, getting 323Hp and 333tq at the rear wheels, AF is at 11.3.
my question is, aside from what I already have accomplished with the MAF translator, what else is EFILive going to enable me to do?

the car is a MN6 manual trans.:D

98SS2836
June 7th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Already leaned it out with the MAF translator, getting 323Hp and 333tq at the rear wheels, AF is at 11.3.
my question is, aside from what I already have accomplished with the MAF translator, what else is EFILive going to enable me to do?

the car is a MN6 manual trans.:D

Ditch the translator 11.3 is pig rich. Your Long Terms are probably + so it is adding fuel no matter what you turn the translator too.

RPOZ4Z
June 7th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Hmmmm..........................

Ok, so when I lean it out with the translator, is the PCM, over time, compensating for the adjustment?

I guess there is more that can be done after all!:cheers:

where should the AFR be?

Thanks! this is the kind of info I was looking for.:rockon:

McRat
June 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM
My experiences. Take with a grain of salt.

For drag racing:

The combination of the GMAF and the blackwing is interesting. The Blackwing works best with a screened MAF (01 Z06?), and Granatelli's quality control is Gumpy ("GMAF's are like a box of chocolates Forest, you don't know what you'll get"). GMAF's increase power by leaning out the engine, but they are unpredictable, each one is different.

First start with reading your stock 02 sensors, and doing some baseline 1/4mi passes or dyno pulls. Aim at .87-.91 all the way through the 1/4.

You can add timing, but... don't trust the dyno. Do it at the strip. GM actually wasn't too dumb. Their curve is not that bad. Strange this is, the LS6 engine is only running 22 deg of timing at WOT, and it likes it. IIRC, the early LS1's have a curve that goes up to 26? where the torque peak is, then gently falls into redline. Keep the shape the same and see what 29 deg does.

Zero out your IAT RETARD table. This will make a big difference.

Put in a 160 deg therm and turn your fans on early like above.

Main thing will be to see what that GMAF/BW combo is doing. Not real impressed with either of those gadgets. We went quicker with the stock airbox than a BW, and with the LS1 Camaro, went quicker with a stock MAF.

Move your rev limiter up. Tagging the limiter will ruin your pass. I set LS1's at 6600, and start the shift at 6300 for best ET's.

Redline Motorsports
June 7th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I agree! Ditch the GMAF and the MAF translator especially since you have tuning control.

joecar
June 7th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I agree, sell the MAFT on ebay, an then with the tuning software you can properly tune your fueling (IFR, VE, MAF, PE).

ToplessTexan
June 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Hey RPO, good to see you here. The PCM is not an issue for what you plan to do. (Don't sweat it unless you want to do FI or a really low LSA cam.) Even with your limited plans, you'll get a lot of value out of Live. In conjunction w/ an inexpensive WB02 you can do a much better job tuning than you can with the MAFT (which is equivalent to exactly one table in the tune.) Doing your own tuning is a great plan if you're the sort that likes tinkering, though that's not for everybody. The single biggest advantage is that you can spend as much time as you want, something tuners can't afford to do. Given that and the fact you'll want some dyno time, you shouldn't look at it as a cheaper way to tune. It's likely more expensive but it's also more of an investment (buying a tool, learning, future mods, etc.) Be sure to download the software for a test drive and check out the tutorials. :)

RPOZ4Z
June 8th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks!:wave:

I like tinkering! I tuned the MAFT with EFILive V5 and my autotap cable, that's how long ago it was!:eek:
I'm going to order the scan only version and get used to it for a while, then I'll upgrade and start tuning. (plus it makes it a little easier on the wallet this way!):D

looking forward to getting into this!:muahaha:

ToplessTexan
June 8th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Since you have some lead time, you might start looking at WBO2 options and how that might impact your header project (things like extra bungs, NB emulation, etc.) Lots of options to mull over.

RPOZ4Z
June 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM
been looking at that already.

there are a couple that have the NBO2 output that look interesting. I may do that for now, and when I finally do get headers, I'll have another bung installed for the WBO2.;)

Doc
June 9th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Fortuneatly you have come to the right place. EFI Live is hands down THE Best Value Real Deal out there. Look up one of the Resellers for a sweet Wideband / Interface combo. They can make great deals. Hand held programers, MAF Translators, all that other hoakus poakus stuff just made some people really rich while not giving their customers much value. The 98 pcm will be fine for what you are looking to do.

RPOZ4Z
June 9th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Thanks!:wave:

I have liked EFILive since I originally tuned my car with V5 and my old autotap cable.:master:

what would be a good WBO2 setup?:rockon: