PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Silverado with a 7.4

Dirktdolman
December 5th, 2016, 02:45 PM
I have a buddy who has a 2000 Silverado with a 7.4 (454)(I believe a L29). I tried to read his ECU and it returned an error saying it is locked. I checked the supported vehicles list and the 7.4 was not on the list. Will the EFI read the 7.4 ECU?

joecar
December 5th, 2016, 03:12 PM
It probably won't.

It will be able to scan and log.

Dirktdolman
December 5th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Well BUMMER, THANKS

ScarabEpic22
December 6th, 2016, 07:53 AM
That's a Vortec Black Box PCM, it should be readable and tunable. However, that controller is End of Life, so what parameters are there are there and will not be looked at again.

Dirktdolman
December 6th, 2016, 06:14 PM
That's a Vortec Black Box PCM, it should be readable and tunable. However, that controller is End of Life, so what parameters are there are there and will not be looked at again.

What do you mean End of Life?

Should I still be able to access the settings? If so, what do you think the error is? I only used the V2.

ScarabEpic22
December 7th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Development has been completed and will not be looked at again. If there are any bugs/inconsistencies, they will not be addressed. Just like software, they're still available to use and tune, just no updates/fixes will be made.

Did you select the Vortec Black Box PCM when attempting to read the vehicle? I'd start off with a laptop and try to read it using V7.5 or V8.

Dirktdolman
December 7th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Development has been completed and will not be looked at again. If there are any bugs/inconsistencies, they will not be addressed. Just like software, they're still available to use and tune, just no updates/fixes will be made.

Did you select the Vortec Black Box PCM when attempting to read the vehicle? I'd start off with a laptop and try to read it using V7.5 or V8.

I never saw that option on the V2. I will try my laptop next. THANK YOU

ScarabEpic22
December 8th, 2016, 07:25 AM
I never saw that option on the V2. I will try my laptop next. THANK YOU

You would have had to set up the controller in the BBX options and update the configuration files on your V2 for it to appear. Try it out and report back!

Dirktdolman
December 9th, 2016, 03:49 PM
I did not go the BBX path. I just hook the laptop up and used the Tune V7.5. I finally got it to download using the L31 Vortec 98-00 PCM. Thanks for heading me in the correct direction. Here is the file I downloaded.

SS2win
December 10th, 2016, 04:13 AM
Before you license the vortec computer, consider doing an 0411 ECM upgrade and Licensing that controller instead. There's a hell of a lot more you can do with the 0411 compared to the vortec. Anyway glad you got it figured out.

joecar
December 11th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Glad you were able to read it.

Consider what SS2win said.

Dirktdolman
December 13th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Before you license the vortec computer, consider doing an 0411 ECM upgrade and Licensing that controller instead. There's a hell of a lot more you can do with the 0411 compared to the vortec. Anyway glad you got it figured out.

I am new to all of this. Not sure what it would take to do the upgrade.

SS2win
December 13th, 2016, 09:44 PM
First of all, it looks a lot harder that it is to do so don't get scared off... see this link and if you go for it, pm our very own Lextech for the wiring info.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html

Trust me it's waaay worth the effort.

Dirktdolman
December 14th, 2016, 03:50 PM
I will talk with the owner and see what he wants to do. I am all for it but it is not my truck. THANK YOU for the INFO and support.