PDA

View Full Version : Balance Rate Cylinder Number in EFI Live vs Firing Order?

Move'n Up
December 22nd, 2016, 03:46 AM
I need clarification on balance rate cylinder numbers in regards to logging BALRCYLx mm3 (x=cylinder 1-6).

Based on the firing order of 1-5-3-6-2-4 for the 5.9 Cummins is EFI Live following that when you view the balance rate CYL numbers in a log or do they use 1-2-3-4-5-6 from the front of the engine or from firewall?

As an example is BARCYL6 the 4th cylinder from the front or is it the first or last cylinder in the engine block if viewed from the radiator?

Move'n Up
December 29th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Bump

Joecar or Cindy?

joecar
December 29th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Sorry, I don't have any Cummins knowhow...

if it's anything like the LSx , then it would be the reversed firing order... but this would be just assuming Cummins is the same :)

Move'n Up
December 30th, 2016, 06:07 AM
Sorry, I don't have any Cummins knowhow...

if it's anything like the LSx , then it would be the reversed firing order... but this would be just assuming Cummins is the same :)
Do you know who, from EFI Live, could answer accurately?

joecar
December 30th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Paul is the software developer, let me pm him.

Move'n Up
January 3rd, 2017, 05:49 AM
Paul is the software developer, let me pm him.
Thank You

GMPX
January 9th, 2017, 01:02 PM
We've all been on holidays since Christmas, 4 weeks a year over here and it's the middle of Summer right now.

Unfortunately I can't give you an exact answer on this, the balance rates in the ECM are just stored as Cyl 1 - 6 in numeric order, how that relates to the actual firing order I don't know.
So on the 6.7L ECM on the wiring diagram the ECM output "Injector Control 1" goes to "Injector 1" on the engine....but there is no reference to what cylinder that actually is as far as firing order. Our scantool labels just match what the wiring diagrams call them.

Move'n Up
January 10th, 2017, 04:46 AM
We've all been on holidays since Christmas, 4 weeks a year over here and it's the middle of Summer right now.

Unfortunately I can't give you an exact answer on this, the balance rates in the ECM are just stored as Cyl 1 - 6 in numeric order, how that relates to the actual firing order I don't know.
So on the 6.7L ECM on the wiring diagram the ECM output "Injector Control 1" goes to "Injector 1" on the engine....but there is no reference to what cylinder that actually is as far as firing order. Our scantool labels just match what the wiring diagrams call them.
4 weeks, nice!!! Hope you enjoyed your time off.

So you aren't sure how the Cyl numbers in the ECM translate to physical cylinder numbers in the engine?

GMPX
January 10th, 2017, 11:03 AM
4 weeks, nice!!! Hope you enjoyed your time off.
Didn't take 4 weeks, still got some time up my sleeve.

So you aren't sure how the Cyl numbers in the ECM translate to physical cylinder numbers in the engine?
Yeah, maybe I over explained it :hihi:

Move'n Up
January 19th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Closing the loop on this one after further research.

The answer is; EFI Live balance rates logging will show you the Cylinder number, BALRCYLx, based on Firing Order which as previously stated is 1-5-3-6-2-4 for the 5.9 Cummins as viewed from the front of the engine.

Here's an example; BARCYL6 is the 4th cylinder from the front.

GMPX
January 19th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Ok thanks for the clarification.
It is a similar nightmare on the GM gas ECM's that are used on both V6 and V8 engines, it is to difficult to label the outputs to suit every engine combination that controller might run.