PDA

View Full Version : Using Cummins Insite on 2007-2009.5 6.7L with CM2100A and 2010-2012.5 CM2200

DieselShop
February 10th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Not a "tuning" question, but I figure all the savvy Cummins experts will be more active in this section:

New to EFI Live, and I am hoping someone on the forum has had success doing this. I want to use Cummins Insite to read data and DTCs from the CM2100A and CM2200 ECMs like I already do with any Class 7 Cummins CM550, CM850, CM2250, etc. Has anyone had success doing this? I used EFI Live to flash the changes I wanted into the ECMs via CAN, but the J1939 Datalink does not communicate with either ECM using Insite (get the "Contact distributor for subscription" message). Datalink traffic on J1939 is normal as measured with Cummins Adapter Validation, and I can communicate with both ECMs on J1939 using Calterm.

Thanks!

BigCE
February 14th, 2017, 07:14 AM
I believe you can use Calterm if you communicate threw the data link connector. You need to have a 120ohm resistor for it to work over J-1939.

DieselShop
February 14th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Thank you for your response! You are correct, and I have done that already with Calterm. However, I want to use Cummins Insite on these ECMs instead of Chrysler software. We remanufacture and dyno test engines and the dyno cells already have Insite installed. I will not make Calterm available to the dyno operators due to its nature as an engineering environment application.

MobileProg
April 15th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Thank you for your response! You are correct, and I have done that already with Calterm. However, I want to use Cummins Insite on these ECMs instead of Chrysler software. We remanufacture and dyno test engines and the dyno cells already have Insite installed. I will not make Calterm available to the dyno operators due to its nature as an engineering environment application.

Insite will not work on a few years of Dodge rams.

I am sure it could be made to work by changing stuff in the rom to alter j1939 address claiming or diagnostic service options, but its not a light request, and likely you will need to hire someone capable of reverse engineering the problem and coming up with a fix. There is no magic "do this and it will work!" solution here.

EverydayDiesel
June 8th, 2017, 01:11 AM
What is calterm and Insite? These must be new programs because I am just now hearing about them. What are their purposes?

powerfreak
June 30th, 2017, 03:22 PM
What is calterm and Insite? These must be new programs because I am just now hearing about them. What are their purposes?

Calterm is the Cummins ECM engineering software (been around for a long time) Insite is like Cat ET for Caterpillar but for Cummins. Most truck dealers use this for troubleshooting, codes, flashing, parameters, diagnostic test, etc. on the "larger" cummins engines like in big trucks, farm, mining, rail. The heavy duty stuff.

GMPX
July 2nd, 2017, 01:25 PM
I'm generally not a fan of phone based apps but Cummins have a very nice diagnostic app that reads and clears DTC's on anything of theirs via the J1939 bus...it is free too! You just need a support Bluetooth adaptor.

bigduke1
August 16th, 2017, 11:04 PM
does this clear the dtc permanent or can it

Jim P
November 22nd, 2019, 01:30 PM
Where do you put the 120 ohm resistor to get Calterm talking with the CM2200 ECM?

blackshadow
November 22nd, 2019, 02:26 PM
Where do you put the 120 ohm resistor to get Calterm talking with the CM2200 ECM?

Between the High and low on J1939 Not CAN bus. Pins 31/51 on cm2100. It must have a resistance of 120 ohms between High and Low (+,-) Just splice the resistors inline.

Jim P
November 22nd, 2019, 02:31 PM
Between the High and low on J1939 Not CAN bus. Pins 31/51 on cm2100. It must have a resistance of 120 ohms between High and Low (+,-) Just splice the resistors inline.

Awesome, much appreciated! Does the inline adapter need to communicate through the J1939 backbone after or will it be good through the OBD2 port?

blackshadow
November 22nd, 2019, 02:42 PM
Thats only if your bench flashing using J1939 that you need the 120ohms resitor. If you are doing it in chassis you can just connect the cummins inline adapter to the 3pin flat plug 2 wire harness behind the intake horn and connect it to J1939+/- and you should have full control of it with Insite/Calterm. I built my own harness and literally just plug into the correct pins on a 9pin truck adapter from Nexiq and the usb to laptop and am good to go. 2 Wires and a 9 pin adapter is all you need. But i had the 9 pin male terminals and everthing to build into my harness. I think cummins makes a harness to plug into there though if you don't want to make your own.

Jim P
November 22nd, 2019, 02:49 PM
I seen Quadzilla makes and sells a 3 pin Delphi to a 3 Pin deutsch(think I spelled that right) cable for pretty cheap. My Inline 6 came with all sorts of cables, OBD2, the 3 pin Deustch connector cables and some others but nothing for the 3pin Delphi connector for the backbone under the intake horn. Tried through the OBD2, laptop comminactes with the adapter just fine but couldn’t get anything through the OBD2. Thanks for the information, greatly appreciated!

blackshadow
November 22nd, 2019, 02:50 PM
Awesome, much appreciated! Does the inline adapter need to communicate through the J1939 backbone after or will it be good through the OBD2 port?

blackshadow
November 22nd, 2019, 02:54 PM
Cummins unlock cable would work from edge or every EZ Lynk comes with one too.

Jim P
November 22nd, 2019, 02:57 PM
I do have one for an MM3 but I actually use it for an MM3 on my personal truck, just don’t want to hack it up so I can connect the inline 6.

superwagon
November 26th, 2019, 11:53 AM
I recently tried to connect to a 2014 with insite to calibrate a new turbo actuator. I tried the flat 3 pin under the hood and made my own adapter. I was using inline 7 and it would not communicate with the ecm?

dieselking1313
December 20th, 2019, 06:45 PM

Hey Blackshadow, Was wondering if you could attach some more pics on where you connect the two pins of that harness on the 9pin truck adapter To make it compatible with cummins insite. lol i really want to try to this on my 6.7l but been working on hd cummins isx engines, would appreciate the help man and also wondering will it work with newer ram ecms too if you've tried it cuz i only work on semi trucks. Thanks!

dieselking1313
December 20th, 2019, 07:20 PM
I recently tried to connect to a 2014 with insite to calibrate a new turbo actuator. I tried the flat 3 pin under the hood and made my own adapter. I was using inline 7 and it would not communicate with the ecm?

Any luck?