PDA

View Full Version : recovering crashed pcm

minytrker
June 9th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Can I do a full flash on a pcm that was crashed with a handheld? I have a customer who just called with a 2003 silverado who was using a superchips handheld when his voltage dropped and the handheld shut off. Now his truck wont run. If I cant flash it to fix it he is getting it towed to the dealer.

foff667
June 9th, 2006, 03:10 AM
i had one guy have a similar problem where his handheld woudlnt recognize his computer after a flash so I tried to help him out by reflashing the stock file...hptuners wasnt able to read, write or full rewrite it...good luck...when they get fried they usually get fried pretty good lol.

Tordne
June 9th, 2006, 06:48 AM
May as well give it a shot, not like it can really get much worse.

EFILive is pretty good at recovering PCM's from what I gather. If the code that handles the communications is working you might be able to get it back. If not then you will probably be sending it to wait4me.

minytrker
June 9th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Yeah Im gonna try. Its just the truck is about a 30 min drive away. But if I get it to work then I sold a tune. If I don't get it to work then I sold a tune and a pcm, I just dont have any in stock right now.

minytrker
June 9th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Well it DOA. A hanheld claims another one.:bash:

SinisterSS
June 9th, 2006, 09:18 AM
DOA with a full flash?

Recovered several PCMs that were toasted by handhelds without any problems by using a bench harness and full flash.

minytrker
June 9th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Even with a full flash it wouldnt do anything. It said the pcm would not respond.

SinisterSS
June 9th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Did it come up with something like "PCM doesn't have a valid calibration, yadda, yadda, yadda?" If so, did you stop at that point or try to actually flash? Is the voltage 12.8 or above?

GMPX
June 9th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Depending on what point the handheld stopped it might be a door stop.
They really only need to be programming for about 5 seconds to make it recoverable. If the handheld erased the flash and that is it, then it's a chip off repair job.

Cheers,
Ross

minytrker
June 9th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Did it come up with something like "PCM doesn't have a valid calibration, yadda, yadda, yadda?" If so, did you stop at that point or try to actually flash? Is the voltage 12.8 or above?

It said all that but I tried to do a full flash anyway.

minytrker
June 9th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Anyone have a pcm forsale? Im calling Jesse on Monday if I dont find one before then.