PDA

View Full Version : Pre purchase & Auto tune related questions

PeteS
February 15th, 2017, 10:39 AM
I've read most of the posts here related to the auto tune feature and still had some questions I'd like to get clear answers on before buying Efi live.

1) Is the road runner required for auto tuneing on a 99-07 pcm

2)When using auto tune does it directly interface with and read the date used for tuning from the connected wide band O2 sensor or is that strictly to verify correct A/F ratios for safety purpose?

3) Am I able to swap between different Os's freely on the same PCM? Say I have a truck file today, could I load a car file tomorrow and then go back to a truck file next week if I wanted?

4) Is there any thing that stands out to fans that makes EFI live superior to Hp Tuner other then how they license pcm's?

ScarabEpic22
February 16th, 2017, 08:09 AM
Welcome Pete!

1) Yes, however please also note you need a $249 license to use the RoadRunner with EFILive (it will not use any VIN licenses however). Plus the cost of the RoadRunner. You will need to check with Moates, I'm not sure if the RR works with the 03-07 1MB LS1 PCMs or not.
2) It's not a simple setup and go, the software will not make changes for you like some aftermarket ECUs will. You have to actually tune it properly, the RoadRunner just makes this easier and faster as you're doing it on the fly vs reflashing the PCM multiple times.
3) Yes, once you license the PCM, you can flash whatever OS that is compatible into it for free.
4) See #3, this drives me nuts with HPTuners. The hardware is much more user friendly and can be used standalone to scan/flash tunes/switch tunes (diesels) plus read/clear DTCs without a laptop.

I wouldn't look at getting a RoadRunner unless you're wanting to use it extensively. I'd look at the Calc.VET tutorial that's on the forum here and do that method instead, it will get your VE and MAF tables dialed in very quickly. Spark you can handle on the street for the most part, then get an hour or two of dyno time to dial WOT spark in.

PeteS
February 16th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Welcome Pete!

1) Yes, however please also note you need a $249 license to use the RoadRunner with EFILive (it will not use any VIN licenses however). Plus the cost of the RoadRunner. You will need to check with Moates, I'm not sure if the RR works with the 03-07 1MB LS1 PCMs or not.
2) It's not a simple setup and go, the software will not make changes for you like some aftermarket ECUs will. You have to actually tune it properly, the RoadRunner just makes this easier and faster as you're doing it on the fly vs reflashing the PCM multiple times.
3) Yes, once you license the PCM, you can flash whatever OS that is compatible into it for free.
4) See #3, this drives me nuts with HPTuners. The hardware is much more user friendly and can be used standalone to scan/flash tunes/switch tunes (diesels) plus read/clear DTCs without a laptop.

I wouldn't look at getting a RoadRunner unless you're wanting to use it extensively. I'd look at the Calc.VET tutorial that's on the forum here and do that method instead, it will get your VE and MAF tables dialed in very quickly. Spark you can handle on the street for the most part, then get an hour or two of dyno time to dial WOT spark in.

I'm not wanting to use the roadrunner....it's pretty expensive. The Calc.VET is what I have looked at but it made no mention of needing the roadrunner....but it also didn't say it could be done with out one and theres a lot of info on the net making reference to needing it so I was a bit confused. When doing the Calc.vet tuning on VE tables is it using the narrow band o2 or does it take it's info from the wide band assuming one's connected?

How does it compare to the auto tune feature of Hp Tuners? I've been using Tuner Pro RT but I'm ready to move on to something a bit less involved and more streamlined so I have no experience with either programs auto tune feature other then what I've read on the net.

My current tuning files are in .bin format and since EFI live can open them it's a lot more appealing since I don't have to start from scratch again.

ScarabEpic22
February 21st, 2017, 08:51 AM
Calc.VET just needs your stock NBO2 and a WBO2 plus a FlashScan V2 and your PCM licensed. Read the Tutorial thread, it explains exactly how the data is corrected. IIRC, it uses WBO2 for WOT and NBO2 for part throttle. Plus calculates the MAF curve.

It's not auto tune, if that's what you're going for, you'll be disappointed. No idea how it compares to HPT's RTT, never used it before but I know it's a separate Custom OS.

You can simply read out the tune from the PCM and have a baseline tune. Also, look at the Scripting functionality that EFILive has, you can create a text file with your tables and table values defined, then bulk apply it across the current tune file. Makes it simple to make the same changes across multiple files.

joecar
February 21st, 2017, 09:08 PM
1) Is the road runner required for auto tuneing on a 99-07 pcm]
For auto tuning in the sense of auto corrections in real time, yes you would need a RR.

For non-real time automated (i.e. not having to manually edit each cell) there are AutoVE and AutoMAF procedures... these are not real time.

2)When using auto tune does it directly interface with and read the date used for tuning from the connected wide band O2 sensor or is that strictly to verify correct A/F ratios for safety purpose?
The scantool reads the wideband's AFR (lambda) and applies the correction in realtime to the VE table in the tunetool connected directly (via USB) to the Roadrunner.

3) Am I able to swap between different Os's freely on the same PCM? Say I have a truck file today, could I load a car file tomorrow and then go back to a truck file next week if I wanted?
Yes, you can flash any OS that is compatible with the PCM.

( keep in mind that the Roadrunner is a modied 0411 PCM )

4) Is there any thing that stands out to fans that makes EFI live superior to Hp Tuner other then how they license pcm's?The scantool is more detailed.

The tunetool avoids bricking 0411 PCM's.

The handheld module allows black box mode, i.e. laptop not required in car to log, read/flash (you edit offline via SD card that plugs into the module).

~Moderator~

joecar
February 21st, 2017, 09:10 PM
The Roadrunner is specifically a 0411 PCM (i.e. 512KB).

~Moderator~

RADustin
February 24th, 2017, 07:16 AM
RR is actually 1mb of ROM emulating RAM. It can go in 1mb PCMs although it was never released as such.

joecar
February 24th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Thanks for clarifying.