PDA

View Full Version : EFILive on Windows Vista

Tordne
June 9th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Being an IT guy I am seriously considering trying out the new Beta 2 of Windows Vista.

But, I'm wondering if EFILive will work, and if anyone else has perhaps already tried this.

EFILive is my primary application LOL

Cheers,

ringram
June 9th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Id say so mate. Win32 app and all.
Go ahead, do the beta.

Tordne
June 9th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Was thinking more the USB drivers etc. Loading into a VM now, then we'll see :)

redhardsupra
June 9th, 2006, 06:25 PM
i got HPT2 on win2003 server and i got a really annoying charting problem which Keith won't resolve because he can't reproduce it...grrr

ringram
June 9th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Sounds like you need efilive ;)

redhardsupra
June 10th, 2006, 02:41 AM
what i need is my car to stop breaking so i could put some cash in other things than fixing it. efilive would just kinda happen in that was the case... ;)

TAQuickness
June 10th, 2006, 04:50 AM
if you did your own labor, you'd have tons of free coin ;)

joecar
June 10th, 2006, 06:54 AM
what i need is my car to stop breaking so i could put some cash in other things than fixing it. efilive would just kinda happen in that was the case... ;)What is your car breaking...?

redhardsupra
June 10th, 2006, 07:05 AM
What is your car breaking...? last september: new shortblock, new heads, new headers/ypipe,
now: new rotors/pads all around, new hardlines, new rear shocks
next month: probably trans, all cooling redone

that's just major points, cause the number of bolts/clamps/hoses/plugs/etc that were broken/missing/loose/undone/rerouted is quite ridiculously high.
i could've buy myself another supra with all these money :bash:

JezzaB
January 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Just incase anyone is worried about running Vista and their tuning/scanning tools running on it.

Ive been running Vista RTM and EFILive for a while now (since I got EFILive about 2 months ago) and I can say that it works perfectly. Flashes full OS, cals, scans, etc. Drivers installed easily.

I upgraded the firmware and kept my fingers crossed that everything would work and there were no problems with that either.

Jez

Tordne
January 2nd, 2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah I ran Vista full time since RC1, including the actual release version (public release end Jan 2007).

The only thing I noticed was that the Aero Glass interface is really resource intensive and the updates of Maps etc. seemed slower :mad:

ringram
January 2nd, 2007, 08:54 PM
You guys obviously havnt tried the real vista.. The 64bit version then.
Sadness prevails with that version. Nothing works.

GMPX
January 3rd, 2007, 03:32 AM
Well, with every new Windows release comes another excuse to go out and buy a new PC.........just to run it, something like this -
http://www.llnl.gov/asc/computing_resources/bluegenel/bluegene_home.html

Cheers,
Ross

emarkay
January 3rd, 2007, 04:12 AM
I've got Linux working on an old 80286 laptop...

Hey Paul, are the specs for the program needed because of the OS and it's overhead demands, or the actual amount of program calculations needed at the hardware level?

(no, I haven't done anything else with the above other than to prove it works- but all my other "real" PC's now also have Linux partitions, too...)

Chevy366
January 3rd, 2007, 06:19 AM
Well, with every new Windows release comes another excuse to go out and buy a new PC.........just to run it, something like this -
http://www.llnl.gov/asc/computing_resources/bluegenel/bluegene_home.html

Cheers,
Ross

Heck , my PDA has more power than that thing . :Eyecrazy: :)
What is in the grape vine is Vista will not be fully adopted until 2008 by most Large businesses , MS own SQL Server 2005 aren't ready for Vista .
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36677

Tordne
January 3rd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Vista is a desktop OS, Longhorn is the Server OS - not sure what that is going to be called in the end...

I'm missing that second Core on my laptop, Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 :(. Had to give that laptop back when I left my job...

ringram
January 3rd, 2007, 10:54 AM
Yeah thats what Im running for work. 2Gb RAM 120Gb HDD. Laptop was only £600. HP NC6320. Mind you ZERO driver support. No sound, though I did find a newer video driver. No SDCard drivers, No finger reader etc, etc.

sweetdiesel
February 8th, 2007, 04:53 AM
im having probloms just installing the software it keeps going to install and then stops and says you are missing files
im installing everthing the same way i have on my last 3 laptops with winxp
am i doing something wrong or is this just the vista thng?

should i install win XP and forget about vista?

Tordne
February 8th, 2007, 06:38 AM
There are a few people out there running it fine, so not sure what you could be seeing... Are you trying the latest download on the website?

sweetdiesel
February 8th, 2007, 07:00 AM
yes i am, i think i got it now...i hope anyways

jsttry
February 16th, 2007, 04:12 AM
I just put Windows Vista Business on my laptop as the HDD died. EFILive 7.3.3 installed without a problem.

Only thing is the first time you open it you have to choose to run both Tune and Scan Tools because the programs are not signed. A tick of a button and you never see it again though.

The one bug i did find is that the new Aero interface Windows-Tab key combo doesn't show a preview of the Scan or Tune tools all the time. It shows the sheel with the program logo but no the actual MAP or table that I'm viewing.

Installed the drivers, warns you if you really want to install them, but it installed just fine and did a few hours of logging tonight without a hitch. All the maps, charts, PIDS, F3, F4... key combos all still work, as with the Tune tool

Macon@MMP
February 19th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I just put Windows Vista Business on my laptop as the HDD died. EFILive 7.3.3 installed without a problem.

Only thing is the first time you open it you have to choose to run both Tune and Scan Tools because the programs are not signed. A tick of a button and you never see it again though.

The one bug i did find is that the new Aero interface Windows-Tab key combo doesn't show a preview of the Scan or Tune tools all the time. It shows the sheel with the program logo but no the actual MAP or table that I'm viewing.

Installed the drivers, warns you if you really want to install them, but it installed just fine and did a few hours of logging tonight without a hitch. All the maps, charts, PIDS, F3, F4... key combos all still work, as with the Tune tool

Cool stuff my new laptop comes next week with Vista Biz. I assume it will work.

ringram
February 19th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Finally had to "upgrade" from the 64bit edition to the 32bit.
Works fine, everyone should be fine on any version of the 32bit vista. Dont bother with the 64bit if you want to run efilive!

pkincy
February 24th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I made the mistake of "upgrading" several of my boxes to IE7 from IE6 and the experience is horrible enough that I have put my plans to buy a new Vista box on hold!

IE7 tries to emulate Mozilla Firefox capability and is a most dismal failure. It is excrutiatingly slow as well as buggy and quirky. Luckily I had this experience before I spent good money on a Vista "upgrade".

I will stay happy and without frustration by sticking with XP. Heck it works, why try something that probably won't work for several years.

Too bad Apple was never able to properly price their product to gain significant market share.

Perry

Garry
February 24th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Found this quote on Slashdot ... think it's pretty fitting:

The BOFH has it right...

"You should go to Vista."

"So you like Vista?"

"Not really, no. I run a Vista simulator."

"Virtual Server?" the Boss asks.

"Nah, I just turned on all the flashy crap in XP, changed the background image, took some memory out of my box and clocked down the CPU. Then broke Media player. Works like a charm."

Macon@MMP
February 24th, 2007, 08:44 AM
I made the mistake of "upgrading" several of my boxes to IE7 from IE6 and the experience is horrible enough that I have put my plans to buy a new Vista box on hold!

IE7 tries to emulate Mozilla Firefox capability and is a most dismal failure. It is excrutiatingly slow as well as buggy and quirky. Luckily I had this experience before I spent good money on a Vista "upgrade".

I will stay happy and without frustration by sticking with XP. Heck it works, why try something that probably won't work for several years.

Too bad Apple was never able to properly price their product to gain significant market share.

Perry
I think Vista will :allow: me to type this...

Tordne
February 24th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Apple have a product called Bot Camp from memory which allows you to boot Windows XP native on the hardware, so you could increase their market share if you wanted :)

I really like Vista, but I don't use IE7 (haven't used IE for years now).

Chevy366
February 24th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I really like Vista
That's ok , everyone has been fooled once in their life . :D

McRat
August 20th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Bought a new laptop with Vista on it. It won't even attempt to find the drivers. I point it right at the drivers and it says they aren't there.

Wish I would have known that before.

sweetdiesel
August 20th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Bought a new laptop with Vista on it. It won't even attempt to find the drivers. I point it right at the drivers and it says they aren't there.

Wish I would have known that before.

does this help :)
http://download.efilive.com/software/Installing%20FlashScan%20on%20Vista.pdf

mine has been working great for the past 2 months
knock on wood

McRat
August 27th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks, but the problem is Vista 64 Ultimate does not recognize either the EFI supplied driver or the FTDI Vista 64 driver.