PDA

View Full Version : Noob question L99 tuning

StrokedVette385
March 8th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Whats up guys, hoping someone can help me out here. I work as a tech on boats, have a very good understand and vast knowledge of PIDs, how they work etc. My wife just got 1 7/8 LT headers, Hi flow cats and cat back exhaust. So basically a full system. Car also has a CAI. I tuned the T43 Trans with EFI Live pretty good, changing shift pressure by 5% for now with some minor trial and error. My main concern is the E38 ECM. Car is a 2010 L99 Camaro. I disabled AFM and Torque Management and Also Pulled fuses 5 & 20 Overnight and Copied the High Octane Spark Table to the Low table. Car only runs on 93 anyway. I ordered the serial wideband kit for the Car but havent installed it yet. Im looking for some insight on what tables to mod for the CAI and for the Headers. Im assuming Adjusting LTFTs. Anyone give me some advice here. thanks

ScarabEpic22
March 8th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Only do the high->low spark table copy for tuning, once you're happy with the spark table, take 4-6* out and stick that in the low so you wont actually have it ping if you get bad gas or get stuck somewhere where you cant get 93 (had this happen to me before, not fun).

Once you get your WBO2 installed, you'll want to play with spark, VVE, and MAF. Go pure MAF and dial the MAF curve in, then go full SD and dial the VVE in. Turn the blend back on and tweak if needed. As far as spark goes, start with 2* increase in the main load areas and monitor for knock. Slowly bump it up until you get KR, then back off 2*. Will be close, best way is to use a dyno and figure out what the best TQ is at a given RPM/load breakpoint and give the engine that spark value. Not all of us are that lucky, so adding a few degrees here and there until it knocks, then back off a bit. Look at the VVE Guide in the Tutorials section for a bit more on VVE tuning.

StrokedVette385
March 8th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Thanks man! How do you force PURE MAF Mode in EFI Live.

joecar
March 9th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Thanks man! How do you force PURE MAF Mode in EFI Live.Force the MAF to fail...

try setting C0301 and C0303 to 1.

StrokedVette385
March 14th, 2017, 01:50 AM
Force the MAF to fail...

try setting C0301 and C0303 to 1.

Thanks i read the tutorial on the E38, I forced the MAF to Fail, Commanded my AFR 12:5.1 and 14:3.1 For now using E10 93 Octane gas. I also set PE to 1.21, Set for OL and Disabled the LTFT however i still see them fluctuating. is that normal? Im awating for my wideband by the end of the week here.

Also after I have finished dialing in MAF, how would I enable SD Mode on the L99 Camaro?

LastCall
March 14th, 2017, 03:15 AM
Failing the MAF forces SD mode. To go pure MAF only you would need to set your dynamic airflow to something like 300-400 rpm.

LastCall
March 14th, 2017, 03:17 AM
Failing the MAF forces SD mode. To go pure MAF only you would need to set your dynamic airflow to something like 300-400 rpm.

And clear the trims each time you make an update. They don't clear with a flash.

StrokedVette385
March 14th, 2017, 03:22 AM

And clear the trims each time you make an update. They don't clear with a flash.

Yea i had a feeling forcing the MAF to fail would enable SD, i guess just some slight confusion there. Where would I clear the fuel trims in EFIlive? i went thru it but didnt see any, but also didn't. look really well. Can you clear em via a scan tool? I own a snap modis ultra scanner not sure if that will clear em though.

LastCall
March 14th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Yea i had a feeling forcing the MAF to fail would enable SD, i guess just some slight confusion there. Where would I clear the fuel trims in EFIlive? i went thru it but didnt see any, but also didn't. look really well. Can you clear em via a scan tool? I own a snap modis ultra scanner not sure if that will clear em though.

You can clear the trims with the EFILive Scanner, go to the DVT tab, Activate, Fuel tab, and then Clear Fuel Trims. You should see them go to 0% when you do this. Otherwise the trims will be applied to applicable airflow model, even after a flash, and will have to learn up or down based on where the trims were before the tune changes.

StrokedVette385
March 15th, 2017, 05:09 AM
You can clear the trims with the EFILive Scanner, go to the DVT tab, Activate, Fuel tab, and then Clear Fuel Trims. You should see them go to 0% when you do this. Otherwise the trims will be applied to applicable airflow model, even after a flash, and will have to learn up or down based on where the trims were before the tune changes.

Perfect i did that, all done. Once my Wideband is in place should I tune for MAF or SD First? Also you said setting dynamic airflow to 300-400 RPMs...Where is that setting where it calculates high speed mode for airflow? and should I disable MAP readings to affect the VE?

Other question For Narrow band tuning in open loop your just looking for the correct Mv correct? Stoich would be "450Mv" Im assuming. So for under a load going hard wouldn't 850-950Mv be right around the 13-12 AFR values.

joecar
March 15th, 2017, 01:29 PM
920 mV and above is something like lambda 0.85-0.86 (EQR 1.175)(AFR 12.5-12.6 on zero-alcohol pump gas) or richer.

But you really can't tune without a wideband.

joecar
March 15th, 2017, 01:33 PM

Where is that setting where it calculates high speed mode for airflow? and should I disable MAP readings to affect the VE?

See B8024 and B8025.

You should always run MAP, or is that a typo...?

Disable MAF and trims: correct VE like this.
Disable VE (B8024,5) and trims: correct MAF like this.

StrokedVette385
March 18th, 2017, 08:10 AM
See B8024 and B8025.

You should always run MAP, or is that a typo...?

Disable MAF and trims: correct VE like this.
Disable VE (B8024,5) and trims: correct MAF like this.

Yes i didn't mean completely disable it. it needs to know pressure. I'm just trying to learn efi lives tables and what affects the others. i meant in a way to run either just SD or just pure MAF i know the map still needs to be there