PDA

View Full Version : Unsure how to update all vve tables? Can't correct lean condition in speed density

04colyZQ8
March 22nd, 2017, 02:33 AM
I'm using swingmans guide to vve tuning and that seems to have put my pcm into speed density mode, as i thought it's way to lean and pegging my wide band max lean (16afr). I tried taking out 25% of the ve table, near the idle cells, no change, so either I need to add 25% in stead of subtract? Do I make the ve table smaller or larger to get richer?

How do you use one vve table to update all coefficients? Is there a way to open all vve tables and update them all at once? How do you know when you've updated all of them? Maybe I'm missing 1 or 2? And thats why I'm not seeing the changes I command?

I'd rather be 12-13 afr then 16, and then slowly lean it out to get 14.7ish I'm afraid I'm burning valves it's so lean!

Motor is a 2007 lh6 5.3l aluminum block flat top pistons, 243 truck heads, ls3 springs and cam, Brian tooley/comp .80 pushrods, ls2 intake, volant cia with ls7 maf, ls7 lifters, dod deleted. 2007 ctsv 6.0l e67 base OS 58x pcm. T56 trans

I'm getting lean codes, p1516, p2102, and maf perf range codes, case learn code. Pretty sure it's because it's seeing 25% to lean through 500-3000 rpm, ounce I dial in the vve and maf, it will likely behave?

Thanks -Jamie

ScarabEpic22
March 22nd, 2017, 05:57 AM
Increase the values to add fuel, if you're seeing 16:1 you need to bump it up.

You have to apply your values to 1 VVE table (pick one), then generate the coefficients, then copy the VVE to the other tables and generate the coefficients there as well. You might be able to just copy the coefficients over, but it's not that much additional time to just generate the tables separately.

Yes, it's way lean so not surprised you're getting a code. P1516, P2101 are throttle body correlation errors, are you running a compatible TB and pedal for your 07 CTSV OS? MAF, should be disabling the first few MAF codes to force it into SD, otherwise not sure why you're getting that.

04colyZQ8
March 22nd, 2017, 08:11 AM
Thanks, yeah sorry those were the codes before I changed it to run speed density. The vve sure is a pain! Do you save after you update each vve table it keeps giving me multiple vve windows open when I hit save? I'm so confused it's so complicated! Anyone have a how to or video on how to update the ve? This takes so long each ve update I do will take 10times mode the the gen 3 did! Any way to make all 6 ve tables the same? Quickly? To cut updating time?

joecar
March 22nd, 2017, 10:12 AM
Post some screenshots so we can see what your doing (SHIFT-PRTSCR... see getgreenshot.org).

Mean Green Z28
March 23rd, 2017, 05:16 AM
Increase the values to add fuel, if you're seeing 16:1 you need to bump it up.

You have to apply your values to 1 VVE table (pick one), then generate the coefficients, then copy the VVE to the other tables and generate the coefficients there as well. You might be able to just copy the coefficients over, but it's not that much additional time to just generate the tables separately.

I thought you had to pick one table (depending on the MAP) and only mess with that and not touch the others ... or is this different from the E38?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ScarabEpic22
March 23rd, 2017, 05:41 AM
I thought you had to pick one table (depending on the MAP) and only mess with that and not touch the others ... or is this different from the E38?

You should really copy the changes to all 4 tables, assuming you dont have a IMTV and/or AFM/DOD. The reasoning behind this is, if for some reason 3 of the VVE tables are left stock and the ECM switches to a different table (incorrectly), you could cause some damage. When it's a quick copy/paste/generate, seems like cheap insurance to me. YMMV, but this is how I've been doing them for all Gen IV ECMs.

joecar
March 23rd, 2017, 08:02 AM
There are 12 tables grouped into 4 groups (IMTV open, IMTV closed, IMTV open AFM, IMTV closed AFM) of 3 tables (1-bar, 2-bar, 3-bar)...

in any of the 4 groups, the 1-bar/2-bar/3-bar tables overlap within that group (i.e. occupy the same space);

but the tables in any group do not overlap the other groups.

So you would choose 1-bar, 2-bar of 3-bar (depending on MAP) in the IMTV open group, as Mean Green said, you would correct this table (and gernerate its corresponding coefficients)...

and then you would copy this table to each of the the corresponding table in the other 3 groups (IMTV closed, AFM on, AFM off) as Erik said.

Mean Green Z28
March 23rd, 2017, 08:10 AM
Ahhhh now I get it

ScarabEpic22
March 23rd, 2017, 08:44 AM
There are 12 tables grouped into 4 groups (IMTV open, IMTV closed, IMTV open AFM, IMTV closed AFM) of 3 tables (1-bar, 2-bar, 3-bar)...

in any of the 4 groups, the 1-bar/2-bar/3-bar tables overlap within that group (i.e. occupy the same space);

but the tables in any group do not overlap the other groups.

So you would choose 1-bar, 2-bar of 3-bar (depending on MAP) in the IMTV open group, as Mean Green said, you would correct this table (and gernerate its corresponding coefficients)...

and then you would copy this table to each of the the corresponding table in the other 3 groups (IMTV closed, AFM on, AFM off) as Erik said.

Thanks Joe, that is correct.

04colyZQ8
March 23rd, 2017, 01:52 PM
Well I figured out the error I need to genorate each table independently, then colpase it before saving

Anyway I have added 30% to all tables no change still pegged max lean shaking running horrible

04colyZQ8
March 23rd, 2017, 05:08 PM
I give up.... I cannot get my idle AFR to go below 16.00!! I have posted me stock tune, my SD tune (for tuning VE), and my SD tune, attempted to correct idle. in the attempt to correct idle I added 60,70,80,85,90% to the 400-1200 rpm cells to try to richen it up in the VE. I added 1g/sec to the minimum idle base vs, coolant temp in the 1200rpm and under cells, and added 2 degrees to the base idle timing map, in the idle area. Nothing will make this darn thing run rich!! So frustrating

Highlander
March 24th, 2017, 12:07 AM
I give up.... I cannot get my idle AFR to go below 16.00!! I have posted me stock tune, my SD tune (for tuning VE), and my SD tune, attempted to correct idle. in the attempt to correct idle I added 60,70,80,85,90% to the 400-1200 rpm cells to try to richen it up in the VE. I added 1g/sec to the minimum idle base vs, coolant temp in the 1200rpm and under cells, and added 2 degrees to the base idle timing map, in the idle area. Nothing will make this darn thing run rich!! So frustrating

Try this

joecar
March 24th, 2017, 05:10 AM
Are you getting a MAF DTC showing up immediately...?

~Moderator~

04colyZQ8
March 24th, 2017, 06:34 AM
No dtcs now. I had turned the maf dtcs off for temporary running speed density

04colyZQ8
March 24th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Ok... yeah that worked turned back on the maf dtcs and bam it worked... tweaked the ve and now my changes actually show up!! Now on to the next problem I was being lazy and used my hp tuners cable and scanner to setup a histogram for ve from my NGK AFx and it works, but I can't copy and paste my Ve table from the hpt scanner to the efi editor?

04colyZQ8
March 25th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Thanks everyone So far for your help! Huge Improvement! I'm really thankful for swingtons VVE guide, it worked well, that and all of your help! My LTFT trims are around 3-4% now, still needs a few tweaks, my tune creaps away to almost -10%LTFT as IAT temps climb, can I alter the IAT verses injector flow rate perminately to fix this?

Anyway no more lean or maf codes, but next issue still seing P1516, P2101 and reduced power past 60-70% full throttle, so I cant dial in the high maf table, or PE, untill that gets fixed! Any Ideas? It is a car base OS file, excepting a LS2 TB, I'm using a truck TB its a 88mm Gen IV unit. Key on full throttle no codes, and I have to customers wiht the same pcm file, and TB, no issues, but maybe they have a different tune? The scaler you'd think would be close enough 88mm verses 90mm?? I can try changing the etc scaller and see what happens... I've had bad luck with this in the past, causing a ETC processor fault code when I change the etc.. but it maybe my only option?? Why is a 2006 SSR 88mm TB E40 etc scaller so much different then a truck 09 Colorado 88mm TB etc scaller (E67) same TB vastly different scaller.

I'm gonna start a new thread for the reduced power, and link it here, feel free to comment on the trims going astray with the IAT? And Any write ups on how to tune PE on a Gen IV E67, or E38 might be close enough? Thanks again everyone

04colyZQ8
March 25th, 2017, 04:12 PM
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?27530-Reduced-power-P1516-P2101-truck-88mm-TB-car-OS-07-CTS-v-base-file-etc-scaller-maybe&p=237322#post237322

My reduced power thread..

joecar
March 25th, 2017, 05:47 PM
If you don't get a MAF DTC then you're still running from MAF (i.e. not SD).

~Moderator~

04colyZQ8
March 25th, 2017, 06:36 PM
If you don't get a MAF DTC then you're still running from MAF (i.e. not SD).

~Moderator~

Yeah thanks, that's what it was, that all fixed, I can esily switch back from SD, and back to stock now, just the pesky P1516... now but thanks for your help, and speedy reply