PDA

View Full Version : 2016 LML new ECM and TCM

jeffmarsh750
April 10th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Purchasing a new TCM and ECM both are available with nothing loaded (blank) Trying to avoid warranty issues later if needed. Can I just plug them both in and load the trans tune that was copied from the original and the engine tune was purchased as a stock replacement tune. Or what would be the best way to go about doing it. Never loaded an empty controller before. I have current V2 with 2 licenses left on it.

Also my Fuel system, Engine Diag and Engine operation numbers are all off by 1 number lower. Assuming these are a back dated software number not the latest version. Would this pose an issue ?

Thanks, Jeff

jeffmarsh750
April 15th, 2017, 08:53 AM
OK, so I tried my Idea of installing a TCM and a PCM, licensing and installing my original transmission tune and a purchased stock LML tune. I ended up with the VATS and a no crank no start. I set the paramaters under VATS relearn to 2 times and 30 seconds but this was also a no start no relearn.
It also set all the Injector Calibration Incorrect codes P2686 through P2693 The VATS codes were P1631 and P0513.

Re-installed original ECU and TCM all is good so I can work on the others if anybody has any Ideas.
Thanks, Jeff

Biodiesel66
April 15th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Did you add the correct Vin # to each module?

S Phinney
April 15th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Purchasing a new TCM and ECM both are available with nothing loaded (blank) Trying to avoid warranty issues later if needed. Can I just plug them both in and load the trans tune that was copied from the original and the engine tune was purchased as a stock replacement tune. Or what would be the best way to go about doing it. Never loaded an empty controller before. I have current V2 with 2 licenses left on it.

Also my Fuel system, Engine Diag and Engine operation numbers are all off by 1 number lower. Assuming these are a back dated software number not the latest version. Would this pose an issue ?

Thanks, Jeff

You can't load the tunes yourself. Chevy or Socal Diesel can do it for you. Anyone with abilities to bench flash and have GM TIS subscription can as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffmarsh750
April 16th, 2017, 04:04 AM
The two computers appeared to have a previously loaded tune as they had a vin in them. I did change the vin in both. I have a pass through as well with GM tis if needed. I have seen in other threads that you can transfer the injector flow rates (calibration codes) from the glow plug driver module into the ECM. Anyone know if this is possible with the 2016 LML ?

GMC-2002-Dmax
April 16th, 2017, 06:57 AM
A V2 can copy the original injector flow data, so put the original ecm in the vehicle, copy the data, then install the new ecm and reprogram the data.

Key on, crank the engine, leave the key on, the usual hard learn is 3 key cycles, meaning crank it, leave the key on for 10 minutes, key off for 5-10 seconds, key on again, crank, leave on 10 mins, same thing for the third time, after that the VATS is learned.

EFI Full Fash IIRC is the same as TIS as far as the data being written completely.

jeffmarsh750
April 16th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Thanks DMax. Will give it a shot. Will it shorten the VATS learn time if you program that in your tune, say 2 times and 30 seconds ? and does the VATS have to learn every time you load a tune ?

GMC-2002-Dmax
April 17th, 2017, 12:08 PM
YOU can try that method, and once it learns the VATS a flash does not effect it

DURAtotheMAX
April 18th, 2017, 01:44 AM
A V2 can copy the original injector flow data, so put the original ecm in the vehicle, copy the data, then install the new ecm and reprogram the data.

Key on, crank the engine, leave the key on, the usual hard learn is 3 key cycles, meaning crank it, leave the key on for 10 minutes, key off for 5-10 seconds, key on again, crank, leave on 10 mins, same thing for the third time, after that the VATS is learned.

EFI Full Fash IIRC is the same as TIS as far as the data being written completely.

Tony the "self learn" VATS feature went away back in 2007....................

You need a scan tool for all 2007.5+ trucks when replacing the ECM or TDM.

DURAtotheMAX
April 18th, 2017, 01:46 AM
OK, so I tried my Idea of installing a TCM and a PCM, licensing and installing my original transmission tune and a purchased stock LML tune. I ended up with the VATS and a no crank no start. I set the paramaters under VATS relearn to 2 times and 30 seconds but this was also a no start no relearn.

Thats because you need a scan tool to do the theft relearn on all 2007.5+ trucks.

GMC-2002-Dmax
April 18th, 2017, 02:37 AM
Tony the "self learn" VATS feature went away back in 2007....................

You need a scan tool for all 2007.5+ trucks when replacing the ECM or TDM.

It does work the old way, I know, because I have personally done it

DURAtotheMAX
April 18th, 2017, 03:07 AM
Ive tried it multiple times. So have tons of other people on the forums. It doesnt work for me or them. Id have to see a video of it.

It ONLY works if you're replacing keys.

If you're replacing the TDM or ECM with a new module, you need to be hooked up to TIS. It even specifically says this in bold in the service manual....

Ben

DURAtotheMAX
April 18th, 2017, 03:12 AM
You said "turn the key on and crank the engine, then leave the key on for 10 minutes etc".

Thats impossible. The ECM and TDM have to pass theft before the ECM will even allow cranking.

S Phinney
April 18th, 2017, 03:22 AM
I know on my 13 model I couldn't get anything to work. Tony attempted to help me and ultimately we had to have the ''tis flash. I had the ecm fail and caused a no start issue. Computer is not recognized. I had to replace it and the ecm was nonrecoverable. Socal was able to sell the the ecm preloaded only other option was to go to Chevy with it in the truck. The op originally said he had a blank computer. Everyone said I couldn't flash the ecm myself with it being blank including you as well Tony. What is different about this situation than what I had going on? I would like to know so if I ran into this again I could fix it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMC-2002-Dmax
April 18th, 2017, 05:17 AM
You said "turn the key on and crank the engine, then leave the key on for 10 minutes etc".

Thats impossible. The ECM and TDM have to pass theft before the ECM will even allow cranking.

I am not here to argue, I bought 8 brand new LML ECMS, they all had an OS LOADED in them, I used EFI-Live and FULL FLASHED the ECM using my stock CTZ file, it cranked over just fine, I did the old-school key on for 10 mins after cranking, key off and repeated 2x's more, on the 4th attempt to start it did.

Used the V2 to reprogram the INJECTOR DAT, been in my 2012 for over 3 years like that.

Just sharing what I did, and it did work.

It may have been because all of them had a loaded os on them when I purchased them, I still have 3 of them here.

DURAtotheMAX
April 18th, 2017, 05:37 AM
I might just be unlucky then...ive tried 3 LML's and at least 6 LMM's, swapping and/or installing ECM's. Every single time there was a VATS issue (on 2007.5+), there is a no crank condition....at least for me, who knows, maybe I wasnt doing it right.,

The only time ive gotten the 30-minute relearn to work on a 2007.5+ truck is when replacing keys only.

If I have some time this week...Ill get a spare key cut for my truck and try starting the truck without learning the new key. I already have a running bet with myself for 6 million dollars that it wont even crank with the unlearned key. :D

GMC-2002-Dmax
April 18th, 2017, 06:30 AM
I have sold more pretuned ecms than I can remember, never once had any issues ?

DURAtotheMAX
April 19th, 2017, 03:06 AM
Now that I think about it, its probably due to the fact that the ECM is new/freshly programmed.........its configured to auto-learn the pre-release password upon first startup and not need a scan tool. And also not need any VATS learn process for that matter. Plug and play.

But I still stand by the fact that if there is a VATS problem, the engine will NOT crank on a 2007.5+ truck. Im happy to prove this and post a video when I get a chance.

It even clearly says this in the GM platform/immobilizer engineering documents.

DURAtotheMAX
April 19th, 2017, 03:18 AM
I wish I could post more than this to better/further explain, but I cant for legal reasons.

Mitco39
April 19th, 2017, 04:46 AM
Well thats an interesting document :p

Snipesy
April 19th, 2017, 05:04 AM
You can buy them from IHS for a big price tag. Or get subscriptions for even larger price tags.

But I've found them them be... Missing? Some key info at times.

DURAtotheMAX
April 19th, 2017, 05:17 AM
You can buy them from IHS for a big price tag. Or get subscriptions for even larger price tags.

But I've found them them be... Missing? Some key info at times.

Correct. Some stuff is available from IHS, but some other proprietary stuff is not available from IHS.

The IHS stuff is expensive, and you have to sign a bunch of disclaimers to not reproduce, distribute, etc. (your name gets watermarked all over the document when you buy it)

DURAtotheMAX
April 19th, 2017, 05:18 AM
The immobilizer stuff is not publicly available from IHS, for obvious reasons.

Snipesy
April 19th, 2017, 05:24 AM
It's not even that really.

I'm saying say you had something that had 3 steps. The IHS doc will go through each step except step 1 has a major gotchya which is not listed or implied anywhere.

GMC-2002-Dmax
April 19th, 2017, 09:02 AM
So then take a fresh TIS and yank the BIN prior to the theft being learned.

Use a scan tool to learn the Theft value, yank the bin again.

Hex Works........search, find the bits, find the values..............walla !!!!

LOL

DURAtotheMAX
April 20th, 2017, 03:21 AM
So then take a fresh TIS and yank the BIN prior to the theft being learned.

Use a scan tool to learn the Theft value, yank the bin again.

Hex Works........search, find the bits, find the values..............walla !!!!

LOL

Tony the pre-release password is stored elsewhere on the ECM.

GMC-2002-Dmax
April 20th, 2017, 05:25 AM
Tony the pre-release password is stored elsewhere on the ECM.

OHHHH, I see

I should have guessed it would be more than that !

jeffmarsh750
April 23rd, 2017, 10:54 AM
So the 3 key cycles for VATS did not work for me but the injector programing did. On the VATS even though it wouldnt crank I turned it there any ways and did the 3 ten minute deal twice, I did the 30 second deal at 2 times (flashed that in) no worky.One thing I noticed is the security light never turns off. I tried the vats learn on the V2 by using the LMM since LML is not an option and it says code 031 can not do it needs a special security key. Gave it a temporary one and still no go. HMMMM, TIS time ?

jeffmarsh750
April 29th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Got it to work and start with TIS but now have code P0089 for air intake temp sensor. Found pin in ECM that appeared to be pulled up about 4mm. Pushed it back in but still same issue. Think I got a bad ECM.

jeffmarsh750
April 30th, 2017, 04:04 AM
So the ECM is definitely bad and will need another. Any way to get another license as this one is now no good ?

staytuned
June 3rd, 2017, 01:11 PM
So I got mine to work doing exact same as above. Install used ECM and TCM. Paid for TIS subscription, and tried to load ECM, wouldn't load, the hardware and current software appeared to be newer than my old stuff so the GM TIS would not load. Had to link EFI live to new ECM first and do full flash with my generic stock download. Also did the injector read from glow plug module and read to ECM at same time. Then the latest TIS would download with my VIN. Then I could do the VATS re-learn with TIS and that took 13 minutes. Then had to use Snap On scanner to do manual regen. Starts, runs, drives, remote start, all works fine. Now started tuning. I also reinstalled original ECU and trans controller to see if it would run and it was fine. It did have a power down code though. Hopefully my purchase of the TIS (vin specific)doesn't bust me if I need to return for warranty.