PDA

View Full Version : Hpt to EFI conversion

relentless addiction
April 20th, 2017, 07:53 AM
I had a vehicle dropped off with pcm locked to a hpt box. I had previous tuner send me the hpt file that's supposedly unlock from hpt tech support can someone convert this to an efilive file or can I somehow? I can attach file if need be. Or is it possible for my to write flash over the hpt file even though I cannot read flash.. the is a 12592618 it's a engine swap btw. Thanks in advance

ScarabEpic22
April 20th, 2017, 08:25 AM
You will have to either flash the PCM with the unlocked HPT file or you might be able to enter the custom key that the HPT file locked the PCM with. Otherwise, you'll have to pull the PCM flash chip out and bench flash it back to a known configuration with a chip burner. At that point, probably easier to either send it out or buy a new one.

relentless addiction
April 20th, 2017, 08:26 AM
I was supplied an unlocked hpt file I just do not have hpt

ddnspider
April 20th, 2017, 11:53 AM
HPT is free to view, no license required. So why not just find a base EFI file and copy particular tables modified from the HPT manually over to the EFI tune.

Tre-Cool
April 20th, 2017, 01:25 PM
sounds like its hptuners tunerlock on the pcm. so what you need is the actual code to unlock the ecu to flash over it.

probably easier for you to just change pcm out with another & start from scratch.

ScarabEpic22
April 21st, 2017, 05:24 AM
I was supplied an unlocked hpt file I just do not have hpt

Great, but until it's flashed to your PCM with a HPTuners cable, you cant do anything with it. EFILive cannot read/flash HPTuner files and vice-versa. This would also require someone to license your PCM for ~$100 with HPT which they will (likely) pass the cost onto you. If you can have your previous tuner reflash your PCM with this unlocked file, you'll be set to tune with EFILive. If this isnt an option (location, out of business, etc.) then you're better off doing what Tre-Cool mentioned and getting a new PCM.

sounds like its hptuners tunerlock on the pcm. so what you need is the actual code to unlock the ecu to flash over it.

probably easier for you to just change pcm out with another & start from scratch.

Yep, think that's the easiest and most cost-effective option.

Chevy366
April 21st, 2017, 05:47 AM
Send the tuner the PCM, since it seems you are in contact with the guy. Let them unlock it.
Or just go buy a new PCM from bone yard.
I hate people that lock PCMs. There's nothing that any normal person can't duplicate, your tune is not a secret. Also, it is a hassle to get calls from people wanting their PCM unlocked. Isn't it against the law to hold a person's property hostage? Kind of like "extortion."

relentless addiction
April 22nd, 2017, 01:18 AM
I gonna buy hptuners is believe I have a lot of interest in the 03-05 Cummins sci buss anyway. Now waiting to find out if the gm hpt is upgradeable to Cummins or if it's a separate purchase... that will be determining factor. Thanks for the replies!

ScarabEpic22
April 22nd, 2017, 05:14 AM
I gonna buy hptuners is believe I have a lot of interest in the 03-05 Cummins sci buss anyway. Now waiting to find out if the gm hpt is upgradeable to Cummins or if it's a separate purchase... that will be determining factor. Thanks for the replies!

Check their website out when you go to purchase, your question is answered in detail there (short answer, yes). Report back once you've unlocked your PCM and are tuning away with EFILive on it.