PDA

View Full Version : AutoCal firmware update issue

Notwop
June 14th, 2017, 04:15 AM
New to EFILive and AutoCal ... after installing EFI Live scan and tune 8 I was prompted in the "tip of the day" to check firmware. It said that there was both a boot block update and a firmware update.
The boot block update worked fine but the firmware update is giving me issues. I hit update and it went through the motions then came back with an error $0101. Now the update is saying that it is suggesting
and update to a new version number that is already loaded into the device. It appears to be stuck in "dead-poll" mode.....

Screen shot is attached...

HELP!!!!

Blacky
June 14th, 2017, 09:29 AM
If a firmware update fails then the device stays in dead-poll mode until the firmware is programmed successfully.
To recover from a failed firmware update just click the [Update Firmware] button again.

When the device is in dead-poll due to a failed firmware update (i.e. the firmware is incomplete) the current firmware version number that is displayed is the version of the firmware that was most recently attempted to be programmed into the device - whether it succeeded or failed, the version number gets updated. That is to prevent you from rolling back to an earlier version which could have serious compatibility issues depending on how much of the new firmware made it into the device before failing.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
June 14th, 2017, 09:31 AM
If it continues to fail it may be a USB 3.0 xHCI problem as described here:
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?23223-Please-Read-Windows-8-Users-(USB3-xHCI)

Regards
Paul

Blue70SS
July 24th, 2017, 07:13 AM
Paul,

This just happened to me on my V2 Flashscan, except it stays in dead poll mode and the most recent public release V8.2.5 316 says no device connected. All 4 USB ports have been working until just after the flashscan was erased during the firmware update. Can't try to update the firmware since V8 and EFI Live explorer can't see it. Any ideas, or does it have to be sent in for repair? More info is in Question Ref #5667-QPHN-5663

Thanks, Garth

Blacky
July 24th, 2017, 07:55 AM
Do you hear the USB "beep" sound when you connect/disconnect FlashScan?

Check that FlashScan's USB name is still intact: Use the program \Program Files (x86)\EFILive\Drivers\Utilities\usbview.exe
You should see an entry named exactly "EFILive FlashScan V2" shown in the image below.

If you do not see that entry, check the USB cable between FlashScan and the PC. Sometimes the PC's USB system can't/won't supply enough power to FlashScan. Try connecting FlashScan to a vehicle and your PC at the same time. That way the vehicle's 12V system will be powering FlashScan. It may be enough to get it working so that you can reprogram the firmware.

If you do see that entry, and the values highlighted in red match what you see, then start the EFILive Control Panel, click on the small FlashScan icon in the system tray near the clock to expand the EFILive Control Panel window.
Select the [F8: Trace] tab page and ensure that the "Enable Diagnostic Tracing" option is checked.
Select the [F2: USB] tab page, click on [Status].
Select the [F8: Trace] tab page again and click [Save Trace].
Locate the saved trace file and either attach it to this thread or email it to me directly.

Regards
Paul

Blue70SS
July 24th, 2017, 09:57 AM

Check that FlashScan's USB name is still intact: Use the program \Program Files (x86)\EFILive\Drivers\Utilities\usbview.exe
You should see an entry named exactly "EFILive FlashScan V2" shown in the image below.

If you do not see that entry, check the USB cable between FlashScan and the PC. Sometimes the PC's USB system can't/won't supply enough power to FlashScan. Try connecting FlashScan to a vehicle and your PC at the same time. That way the vehicle's 12V system will be powering FlashScan. It may be enough to get it working so that you can reprogram the firmware.

If you do see that entry, and the values highlighted in red match what you see, then start the EFILive Control Panel, click on the small FlashScan icon in the system tray near the clock to expand the EFILive Control Panel window.
Select the [F8: Trace] tab page and ensure that the "Enable Diagnostic Tracing" option is checked.
Locate the saved trace file and either attach it to this thread or email it to me directly.

Regards
Paul

So I was finally able to update the firmware by changing to an older USB cable that I thought had failed. Looked good, so I tried to connect it to the car with a brand new out of a sealed package EFI Live USB cable and it won't work on any of the ports. I started testing the USB cables with the V8 "usb tests" and only found 2 out of 5 cables would work. I couldn't connect to the car with V8 with the lastest Public release update and I was getting messages that I need to update the firmware, but the message screen also confirmed I DID have the new firmware installed UGG. I tried to data log using V7.5 latest version and it locked up after only a couple minutes. Had to disconnect everything and force the program closed. Any other suggestions?

Blacky
July 24th, 2017, 10:16 AM
So I was finally able to update the firmware by changing to an older USB cable that I thought had failed. Looked good, so I tried to connect it to the car with a brand new out of a sealed package EFI Live USB cable and it won't work on any of the ports. I started testing the USB cables with the V8 "usb tests" and only found 2 out of 5 cables would work. I couldn't connect to the car with V8 with the lastest Public release update and I was getting messages that I need to update the firmware, but the message screen also confirmed I DID have the new firmware installed UGG. I tried to data log using V7.5 latest version and it locked up after only a couple minutes. Had to disconnect everything and force the program closed. Any other suggestions?

Are you using Win 8 or Win 10 and do you have any USB 3.0 ports on your laptop? If so, you may need to disable xHCI as per this thread: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?23223-Please-Read-Windows-8-Users-(USB3-xHCI)

If only 2 out of 5 cables work then that indicates that the laptop is possibly not supplying enough current via the USB port. Some USB cables have a larger gauge power wire than others. The larger gauge wires are better able to handle laptops that don't supply enough current via the USB port.

Have you tried using FlashScan on a different PC/laptop? Doe sit work any better on a different PC? If it still fails regularly on a different PC then there may be some issue with the USB power circuit in the FlashScan device. If your FlashScan is less than 12 months old that would most likely be covered under warranty.

Regards
Paul

Blue70SS
July 24th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Are you using Win 8 or Win 10 and do you have any USB 3.0 ports on your laptop? If so, you may need to disable xHCI as per this thread: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?23223-Please-Read-Windows-8-Users-(USB3-xHCI)

If only 2 out of 5 cables work then that indicates that the laptop is possibly not supplying enough current via the USB port. Some USB cables have a larger gauge power wire than others. The larger gauge wires are better able to handle laptops that don't supply enough current via the USB port.

Have you tried using FlashScan on a different PC/laptop? Doe sit work any better on a different PC? If it still fails regularly on a different PC then there may be some issue with the USB power circuit in the FlashScan device. If your FlashScan is less than 12 months old that would most likely be covered under warranty.

Regards
Paul

Regards
Paul

Yes on beep sound on all 4 USB ports and even the EFI Live cables that only power up the Flashscan V2 (including the new one). On every instance, it shows EFI Live Flashscan V2 on the appropriate port. The odd part is that they all (4) powered up the V2 screen now that I was able to update the firmware..... but yet the two EFI usb cables show "no data received" when doing the usb test under F3 usb settings, plus show "no device connected" when checking the firmware version in the V8 software. The V2 and usb cables had worked fine prior to the program updates for the last 3 years. I was able to start a datalog in V7.5, then it froze and every possible way to close the program failed.... so had to reboot the computer(was repeatable).

I've still have to try the USB 3.0 ideas, but it all worked fine before todays updates..... so doesn't make sense that they suddenly don't like the ports. The old cable that is able to talk with the V2 is from a Brother Printer/Fax that is long gone. Nothing seems to make sense. Flashscan was purchased in Sept 2011 and used on just the 2010 Camaro & briefly on a spare ECU. I did notice the vehicle port cable being loose and has been forever, but the EFI Live brand cable for this was brand new today and fits the same as the one replaced 7/2015..... vehicle port looks perfect too (yet I can pull ever so slightly and the vehicle will disconnect). The last V7.5 lockup was done purposely pushing in on that connector too. So looks like 2 separate issues, 1st one being the USB connection going bad after the updates, 2nd is just related to datalogging and movement that I've been dealing with for quite a while.

One other odd thing was 2 or 3 times with V8 is said I needed to update the firmware, yet on the same screen it show the boot block and firmware were up to date.

I'll try the USB 3.0 ideas, any other ideas?

Thanks for all the help so far....

Blacky
July 24th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Yes on beep sound on all 4 USB ports and even the EFI Live cables that only power up the Flashscan V2 (including the new one). On every instance, it shows EFI Live Flashscan V2 on the appropriate port. The odd part is that they all (4) powered up the V2 screen now that I was able to update the firmware..... but yet the two EFI usb cables show "no data received" when doing the usb test under F3 usb settings, plus show "no device connected" when checking the firmware version in the V8 software. The V2 and usb cables had worked fine prior to the program updates for the last 3 years. I was able to start a datalog in V7.5, then it froze and every possible way to close the program failed.... so had to reboot the computer(was repeatable).

I've still have to try the USB 3.0 ideas, but it all worked fine before todays updates..... so doesn't make sense that they suddenly don't like the ports. The old cable that is able to talk with the V2 is from a Brother Printer/Fax that is long gone. Nothing seems to make sense. Flashscan was purchased in Sept 2011 and used on just the 2010 Camaro & briefly on a spare ECU. I did notice the vehicle port cable being loose and has been forever, but the EFI Live brand cable for this was brand new today and fits the same as the one replaced 7/2015..... vehicle port looks perfect too (yet I can pull ever so slightly and the vehicle will disconnect). The last V7.5 lockup was done purposely pushing in on that connector too. So looks like 2 separate issues, 1st one being the USB connection going bad after the updates, 2nd is just related to datalogging and movement that I've been dealing with for quite a while.

One other odd thing was 2 or 3 times with V8 is said I needed to update the firmware, yet on the same screen it show the boot block and firmware were up to date.

I'll try the USB 3.0 ideas, any other ideas?

Thanks for all the help so far....

What do you see for your USB driver version installed on the PC/laptop?
This is the latest version USB driver available and is a little more stable than previous versions.

Regards
Paul

Blue70SS
July 24th, 2017, 04:45 PM
What do you see for your USB driver version installed on the PC/laptop?
This is the latest version USB driver available and is a little more stable than previous versions.

Regards
Paul

All the USB controller drivers are up to date when checked and HCI isn't listed in the BIOS on the "Start" / F2 push to enter it. I disabled the USB Root Hub (xHCI) and when plugging the V2 into the laptop, all I get is no "dong" when plugged in, some flashing lights, then blue screen with no splash screen. Some of the drivers are 2006, but the laptop was new 9/24/2014 and working with EFI live already.

Blue70SS
July 24th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Here's and example of the V7.5 newest version locking up at frame 4420..... can't shut it down without a complete reboot. 2131921320

I'll try V8 next.... last 2 pics don't matter (no real info - just couldn't edit them out) Engine was off, as I was just seeing how long till the datalog bombed out.

Blue70SS
July 24th, 2017, 05:37 PM
Lastest V8 datalogging test didn't bomb out like the V7.5, but limited to the old Brothers printer/Fax USB cable. Another idea would be deleting both newer versions and reinstalling the older version and see if the USB problem still exists?

Blacky
July 25th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Lastest V8 datalogging test didn't bomb out like the V7.5, but limited to the old Brothers printer/Fax USB cable. Another idea would be deleting both newer versions and reinstalling the older version and see if the USB problem still exists?

When an application locks up like that, 99% of the time it is because a driver is stuck in a loop or some other abnormal condition. If/when it happens again, try unplugging the FlashScan device. That usually causes the USB driver to release control back to the application.

I recommend installing the latest FlashScan USB drivers that are available with the beta software here:
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?27794-July-2017-Beta-Release-5
When you install that version of the software it will automatically install the latest USB drivers.

The fact that one USB cable works and another does not, indicates that the PC/laptop you are using is not providing enough current via the USB sockets to run FlashScan. Send me your shipping address (send it to paul@efilive.com) and I'll send you a higher gauge USB cable for you to test.

Lastly, have you tried FlashScan on a different PC/laptop? If it still locks up on a different PC, then there may be something wrong with FlashScan itself.

Regards
Paul

Blue70SS
July 25th, 2017, 12:40 PM
I have V7.5.7.245 on my wifes computer...... is there a way to install the firmware that correlates with that version? That would confirm if the V2 is a problem.

Blue70SS
July 27th, 2017, 08:45 AM
So after more testing on a separate laptop, I was able to get the smaller gauge USB cables to work and data logging in version 7.5 does not hang. It does however have USB 2.0 ports.

If I make the jump to using V8, the origional laptop combined with the larger usb cable works.

I just have to figure out making custom PIDs in V8. (if its possible using the Analog inputs yet).

On a side note, I saw where you should not use a car inverter to power the laptop while connected to the OBD2 port (knew about it already). Is there any problem with powering the laptop with its normal power supply plugged into an AC wall Outlet while on a dyno?

Also, prior to the 2nd laptop test...... both were revised to the latest Beta software that has the more stable USB driver for the V2.

Blacky
July 27th, 2017, 12:52 PM
On a side note, I saw where you should not use a car inverter to power the laptop while connected to the OBD2 port (knew about it already). Is there any problem with powering the laptop with its normal power supply plugged into an AC wall Outlet while on a dyno?

That should be OK so long as the the vehicle and the AC outlet are grounded to the same point. If for example the vehicle was not grounded to the same point as the AC wall outlet then the chassis can become "energized" at a voltage level that is different to the AC wall outlet. In that case, an attempt to connect your laptop to the vehicle via FlashScan will result in those ground voltage levels attempting to equalize. The only way to equalize the ground voltages is for current to flow through the laptop and through FlashScan which could damage both of them.

Regards
Paul

joecar
July 27th, 2017, 12:59 PM

I just have to figure out making custom PIDs in V8. (if its possible using the Analog inputs yet).

...In V8 goto Scan (on the left), click on Config (at the bottom), click on Calculated Pids...

you have to create a Group (upper part), and for that Group you create calc pids (lower part).

Blue70SS
July 27th, 2017, 04:37 PM
That should be OK so long as the the vehicle and the AC outlet are grounded to the same point. If for example the vehicle was not grounded to the same point as the AC wall outlet then the chassis can become "energized" at a voltage level that is different to the AC wall outlet. In that case, an attempt to connect your laptop to the vehicle via FlashScan will result in those ground voltage levels attempting to equalize. The only way to equalize the ground voltages is for current to flow through the laptop and through FlashScan which could damage both of them.

Regards
Paul

I suspected that might be the case in hind sight. After a long day of tuning and an extention cord..... might explain the usb problems. I knew about the inverter problem.

Blue70SS
July 27th, 2017, 04:41 PM
In V8 goto Scan (on the left), click on Config (at the bottom), click on Calculated Pids...

you have to create a Group (upper part), and for that Group you create calc pids (lower part).

Thanks, after digging a bit I finally figured out the "o" in front of the AD1, AD2, AD3, AD4 wasn't denoting a place holder, but they're usable in equations. With the E38 ECU is going past 28 channels to say 30 slow logging down too much if in V8? Sounds like 29 has the same effect as up to 35 even if only using Ver 8

joecar
July 28th, 2017, 11:21 AM
I think 35 channels is still fast.

Blue70SS
July 28th, 2017, 06:13 PM
perfect, thanks!

irey15LML
November 17th, 2017, 09:21 AM
I plugged in my autocal today on the new update and said please update firmware it had error 0101 and dead-poll and wont reboot!
HELP!

joecar
November 17th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Go ahead an update the firmware... when it's in dead-poll it is waiting for firmware.

irey15LML
November 17th, 2017, 09:42 AM
it will not even do anything! its just black and it will not recognize it now.. it was in the middle of updating firmware and had error 0101

Jarred Grainger
November 17th, 2017, 12:14 PM
I have pretty much the same issue. My Autocal is completely unresponsive!
I even went out and grabbed another USB but that didn't help either.
I am not that knowledgeable and am now completely stuck!

Jarred Grainger
November 17th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Go ahead an update the firmware... when it's in dead-poll it is waiting for firmware.
When I plug my autocal in and start EFI live I get the attached message

irey15LML
November 18th, 2017, 04:46 AM
Exact same thing for me..

joecar
November 18th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Start V8 S&T, on the first page click Start EFILive V8 Control Panel.

Blacky
November 18th, 2017, 12:17 PM
it will not even do anything! its just black and it will not recognize it now.. it was in the middle of updating firmware and had error 0101

When the AutoCal screen backlight is flashing, that means it is waiting for firmware to be programmed. If it is not flashing then it is some sort of failure mode. You need to get the AutoCal to the point where the screen backlight is flashing before you can (re)program the firmware. To do that, hold down the [Ok] button on the AutoCal while powering up the AutoCal via plugging in the USB cable.

To manually update the firmware:
Once you have the backlight flashing, run the EFILive Explorer software, select the [F12: Firmware] tab page, click [Browse], select the ACProgV2_07_128.efw firmware file and the click [Program].

Regards
Paul

Blacky
November 18th, 2017, 12:21 PM
When I plug my autocal in and start EFI live I get the attached message

When you get a message indicating a problem with EFILive_Hapi, that means the communications channel between the EFILive V8 software and the EFILive Control Panel has failed or has hung or crashed.

The easiest (but most time consuming) way to recover from that is to reboot your PC.

The more difficult (but faster) way to recover from that is to close all EFILive software on the PC, unplug all FlashScan/AutoCal then run the Windows Task Manager (right click on the Windows Task Bar and select "Start Task Manager"), then select the [Processes] tab page, find any process that starts with EFILive_ select one at a time and click on [End Process]. Do that until no EFILive_ processes exist.

Then reconnect your FlashScan/AutoCal device and re-start EFILive V8 Scan and Tune.

Regards
Paul

irey15LML
November 18th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Worked perfect!!
Thank you!!!!!!!

Efefz
May 14th, 2018, 02:15 AM
good to know it worked