PDA

View Full Version : Getting a camed car to idle at start

johnsZ06
March 7th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Any suggestions on what adjustements I need to make to get my car to idle when it''s hot. It idles fine when it's cold but like to stumble a bit before the PCM catches on and takes over when the engine is hot enough to be in closed loop.

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated.

curtbriggs
March 7th, 2005, 05:13 AM
[quote="johnsZ06"]Any suggestions on what adjustments I need to make to get my car to idle when it's hot. It idles fine when it's cold but like to stumble a bit before the PCM catches on and takes over when the engine is hot enough to be in closed loop.

Tune, engine calibration, idle, double click on desired idle speeds The column on the left in F* is engine temperature. On the table to the right, set desired RPM in all four columns. I started with 1050 at -40*F , 1000 at 25*F, 950 at 133*F. (fill desired RPM for all temps) I have a 224*, 112*+2* 0.580" cam and this corrected a rolling 750RPM. Engine doesn't stall or drop down to a rolling idle when I push the clutch in when coasting. Let know how this worked for you.

Cheers, Curt

johnsZ06
March 7th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Tune, engine calibration, idle, double click on desired idle speeds The column on the left in F* is engine temperature. On the table to the right, set desired RPM in all four columns. I started with 1050 at -40*F , 1000 at 25*F, 950 at 133*F. (fill desired RPM for all temps) I have a 224*, 112*+2* 0.580" cam and this corrected a rolling 750RPM. Engine doesn't stall or drop down to a rolling idle when I push the clutch in when coasting. Let know how this worked for you.

Cheers, Curt

I've set my idle to 950 RPM and the car idles fine. No problems with stalling or RPMs dropping when I push in the clutch. There is just a couple of seconds where it stumbles trying to find control when starting the engine "HOT". I was thinking about adjusting the VE table (400-1200 RPM range) to a lower value.