PDA

View Full Version : 911 HELP - Wideband Serial Connection Inoperable

Boyes50
July 28th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Hey,

This message is especially for Joecar, as I've followed his steps to try and make this work. I have a V2, a Null Modem Cable I made, and a LM-2. Used the Innovate and V2 Cables, and connected it all as it should. Multiple Issues:

1.) When the LM-2 is reading correctly, I can play with the RS-232 Plug on the V2 and and have it intermittently display the WO2. The rest of the time, it shows WO2 Not Found.

2.) I am using EFILive Scan 7.5, and this will read the WO2 PID when I intermittently seem to get the plug on the V2 to work. The LM-2 also freezes at 18.0 sometimes as soon as the V2 begins logging.

3.) I am running the LM-2 through a cigarette lighter adapter, on a Booster Pack as my racecar does not have anyway to give the LM-2 12V right now. Could low voltage to the LM-2 be causing all these issues.

Any help available?

pinstripebob
July 28th, 2017, 07:04 AM
Can you unplug the 12V to the LM2 and check voltage to verify it is getting enough power? The cigarette lighter in my El Camino can be sketchy at times. Also, are you using 7.0, or 7.5 of EFILive?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Boyes50
July 28th, 2017, 07:06 AM
I am using 7.5 EFILive Scan. I am currently recharging the Booster Pack to ensure it's going to give me the kind of voltage I need. May also hook it up to a known good 12V Source. Could this intermittent power cause the Serial Port to be Off and On Connecting? Or has anyone else ever had there V2 or EFILive Serial Cable RS End be intermittent? Seems like the connection is very poor at the V2

pinstripebob
July 28th, 2017, 07:13 AM
I haven't had issues with my Flashscan's serial port, but I have two cars with Innovate wide bands and they can be temperamental without proper voltage. If you get solid power, then you can rule that out as an issue.

Boyes50
July 28th, 2017, 07:14 AM
Ok I'll go do that right now and then report back. When I built this cable, I connected Black to Black, Red to White, White to Red, and Left Blue Unconnected. Is this the correct wiring for this cable?

Boyes50
July 28th, 2017, 07:17 AM
The cables I used to build this Null Modem was an Innovate 3812 and a EFI Live V2 Serial Cable

Purchased direct from both companies

pinstripebob
July 28th, 2017, 07:31 AM
One more question, can you use a multimeter to verify continuity from your Molex plug going to the LM2 and the RJ45 plug going into the Flashscan? Basically to make sure that from point A to point B you have the wires terminated in the right spot? I was looking at Joecar's post in the below thread:

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?23169-LC-2-Digital-Wideband-anyone-try-it-out&p=212032&viewfull=1#post212032

Boyes50
July 28th, 2017, 07:39 AM
It is working correctly, and I second that by wiggling the connector and it's reading matching the LM2 Display. Connected LM2 to good 12V and still have the same issue

pinstripebob
July 28th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Sounds like the cable or Flashscan is at fault with regards to the intermittent connection. I'm not sure about pegging at 18.0 when you log, that makes me think something else is going on. I'm a little tied up with work right now, I might be able to dig into this a bit more in a couple hours.

joecar
July 28th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Try a different serial cable.

If you have to wiggle it, it sounds like the RJ11/12 connector might have cracked solder joints.

Boyes50
August 2nd, 2017, 12:57 AM
This is a brand new serial cable direct from EFI Live? Could it still be broken? I do not have a spare and live in Canada, so its not easy to get a spare cable

pinstripebob
August 2nd, 2017, 12:59 AM
Did the cables plug together, or did you have to crimp/solder them together? Pictures might help as well.

Boyes50
August 2nd, 2017, 01:02 AM
I soldered the connection at the middle of the cable, and can verify with a multimeter I have correct continuity. Also have correct readings showing up when it intermittently connects to the Flashscan. So I know I have the wires connected correctly, as the 3-4 seconds it actually communicates with the V2 and Scan 7.5 it reads correctly. Then it either freezes the Innovate LM-2 or Loses Connection and displays "WO2 Not Found"

Boyes50
August 2nd, 2017, 01:04 AM
I will try and upload a picture later this afternoon when I get a chance. The symptoms are strange. Unfortunately I really need to be able to log either through Serial or Analog to get this tune dialled in for my racecar. I can't get the analog outputs of serial connection to work however

pinstripebob
August 2nd, 2017, 01:25 AM
If it's messing up right where the plug meets the Flashscan, and you need it fixed in a pinch, I would go to a local electronics store and get another connector and a crimper and redo that plug. You might be able to take the cable with you to a place that does network cables and have them put a new plug on it.

If that doesn't fix it, it might be the Flashscan's port. If that's the case, you'll need to talk to EFILive and see if they have a way to troubleshoot it or repair/swap it.

joecar
August 7th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Where exactly do you have to wiggle "it"...?