PDA

View Full Version : Auto VE , Auto Maf, PE & Timing Adjustment

maalmull
August 19th, 2017, 09:31 PM
Hi guys

I would like to tune my LS1B the old way (doing it in a single log just confuses me more) can someone summaries the tuning process step by step?

1-VE adjustment (well understood using the Auto VE write up)
2-MAF Adjustment ( is there a write up on this?)
3-PE & Timing adjustment

I am using a serial link between my LM2 and V2 as a friend helped validating the CalcBen1 & EXT.WO2AFR.

at this moment, I tuned my VE successfully and need guidance to complete the tune.

also, is there a write up to create/validate pids that are not available on the existing PID files?

Please excuse me for my ignorance as I am new to the tuning world.

Thanks,

Tre-Cool
August 19th, 2017, 11:14 PM
yep. check out the auto-ve tuning tutorial from the scanner or editor.

Help--->Tutorials

maalmull
August 21st, 2017, 01:56 AM
Thanks

joecar
August 21st, 2017, 04:55 AM
1-VE adjustment (well understood using the Auto VE write up)
2-MAF Adjustment ( is there a write up on this?)
3-PE & Timing adjustment
2:
this is just like 1. except you disable VE (set B0120 to zero) and log GM.MAFFREQ, and you create a map to mimic the MAF table B5001.
aka AutoMAF.

3:
without dyno: set PE to something like EQR 1.175 and timing to stock 2002 F-car HO and LO spark tables (note: uses LO when MAF is failed during AutoVE).
with dyno: start at PE EQR 1.175 and stock spark timing, make adjustment and check what dyno shows; when you increase timing and/or decrease PE EQR and torque barely goes up, back off that adjustment (give you a safety margin); if you see knock, decrease timing and/or increase PE EQR; remember, these are fast burn combustion chanbers, they don't need as much timing as SBC; pay attention to engine coolant temp.

maalmull
August 21st, 2017, 05:13 AM
Thanks Joe

I am running a stock LS1 in a 03 single cab sierra with 317 heads unported milled to .020 and running 215/223 112 cam & stock truck intake with the 25 truck stock injectors.

My TP in idle is like 9% and AFR fluctuates from 12.xx to 15.xx

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maalmull
August 21st, 2017, 05:22 AM
I also based my tune on the truck file not using an Fbody HO , LO tables.

Do u suggest 28 injectors ?

joecar
August 21st, 2017, 06:20 AM
Questions:
a. is your throttle DBW...?
b. how much power are you expecting to make...?
c. do you have wideband...?
d. do you have dyno time...?

Note: truck calibrations are slow to enable PE (PE TP enable is 90% which is too late, PE enable counter is 1 second or more which is also too late).

maalmull
August 21st, 2017, 07:02 AM
Questions:
a. is your throttle DBW...?
b. how much power are you expecting to make...?
c. do you have wideband...?
d. do you have dyno time...?

Note: truck calibrations are slow to enable PE (PE TP enable is 90% which is too late, PE enable counter is 1 second or more which is also too late).

A/ yes it's DBW
B/ won't go more than 400rwhp
C/yes I am running a serial lm2 wb
D/won't have an access to a dyno until November.

I adjusted the PE TP to 60% and changed PE enable counter to zero.

I would like to note that car runs way better on open loop and that CL just mess the car up.

joecar
August 21st, 2017, 07:24 AM
a. If DBW then log the pid GM.ETCTP, see what this says.

b. 400 rwhp = about 435-450 fwhp: injectors are limited, you might need at least 32 lb/hr.

PE enable: look at 2002 F-car (65%-35% split enable).

CL: what are O2 switch points (see table B4105), try setting all of them to 450 mV.

I would like to note that car runs way better on open loop and that CL just mess the car up.
Is this with or without MAF...?

maalmull
August 21st, 2017, 07:50 AM
I will go thru your advice and log ETCTP.
Yes the MAF is still there as you know it's a 5pin.

I've a 28 injectors laying around do u recommend installing those and copy the injector tables from an fbody ?

joecar
August 21st, 2017, 08:12 AM

I've a 28 injectors laying around do u recommend installing those and copy the injector tables from an fbody ?
For 400 rwhp, I would try these, and log injector duty cycle (to see if they max out).

maalmull
August 21st, 2017, 08:21 AM
will go through all the points

I Appreciate ur help.

joecar
August 21st, 2017, 01:42 PM
Is this with or without MAF...?
Yes the MAF is still there as you know it's a 5pin.
...I mean: when it does this, is it running from MAF or VE (I take it it's this)...?

maalmull
August 21st, 2017, 05:49 PM
Running completely from MAF (B0120 set to zero).

I am in doubt that I am doing the AutoMaf the wrong way.

After completing the AutoVE. Do I copy the VE table to the original file and then set the B0120 to 0 to eliminate the VE and create B5001 , log , then multiply paste in MAF calibration?

joecar
August 21st, 2017, 07:39 PM

After completing the AutoVE. Do I copy the VE table to the original file and then set the B0120 to 0 to eliminate the VE and create B5001 , log , then multiply paste in MAF calibration?

...Yes, copy new VE to original file (which has MAF enabled) and save as new filename... then set B0120 to zero, make map to mimic MAF table B5001, log, multiply-paste map into MAF table B5001...

BUT, also, if you're using wideband, you should be disabling CL/LTFT/STFT (for both AutoVE and AutoMAF)...

otherwise the wideband will just read stoich (unless the trims peg).

joecar
August 21st, 2017, 07:44 PM
More info, see posts #4 and #29 (read carefully): Summary-Notes (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14188-Summary-Notes)

statesman
August 21st, 2017, 10:00 PM
Yes, copy new VE to original file (which has MAF enabled) and save as new filename...

This is REALLY important! Always keep a copy of your original file. When you make any changes, give the updated tune file a new name. If you change a lot of things and mess up your tune (which can happen), you'll have the original file to go back to... and you can then start tuning from that original file again.

maalmull
August 22nd, 2017, 01:11 AM
More info, see posts #4 and #29 (read carefully): Summary-Notes (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?14188-Summary-Notes)

Extremely useful
will have to go though these notes very carefully before asking any further questions.
Thanks a bunch!

joecar
August 22nd, 2017, 09:03 AM
You can still ask questions, that's no problem... :) ...I simply meant they are very detailed so they need careful reading.

maalmull
August 23rd, 2017, 08:49 PM
You can still ask questions, that's no problem... :) ...I simply meant they are very detailed so they need careful reading.

Thanks Joe you've been a great help .

I tuned the car but still facing problems:-

1/ first runs , car runs strong (car still on open loop & no mass air involved). On idle I noticed the engine " hood" is shaking & rattle a little bit. Also noticed I am getting knock retard even if I reduce timing on that specific rpms.

2/ started the car next day and the car surges and engine shakes/ rattle strongly and no performance ( check engine is on) and I am getting P0300.

Logged ltft's and they are + 10%

Is there any thing to log that may help narrow were the problem might be?

I am confident it's mechanical problem and have a feeling it's fuel system related ( not checked fp yet). I suspect FPR or Fuel pump.

Any suggestions ?

joecar
August 24th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Yes, do measure rail pressure (if FPR is manifold referenced, then measure rail pressure with reference hose removed).