PDA

View Full Version : Where were you in 1982?

GMPX
June 16th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I gotta get one of these :)

http://www.cafepress.com/c64store/102382

Cheers,
Ross

joecar
June 16th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Isn't that the command line for reading a file from cassette tape...?

GMPX
June 16th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Close ,8,1 was the disk drive (or brick drive).

Cheers,
Ross

redhardsupra
June 16th, 2006, 03:12 AM
do i get a discount if i know few useful poke commands for 8bit atari? :)
damn i feel old

joecar
June 16th, 2006, 03:18 AM
What about a discount for packing machine code into a string in BASIC and executing the string (running on a TRaSh 80)...? :D

John Skiba
June 16th, 2006, 03:20 AM
the days of peeking and poking... :notacrook:

kbracing96
June 16th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I was 5 :lol:

joecar
June 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I was 5 :lol:You missed all the fun in the 60's and 70's :cheers:, but then that's just me calling it fun... :banana:

dc_justin
June 16th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I was 5 :lol:

And I was 4 years your junior. :D

GMPX
June 16th, 2006, 03:24 PM
O.K, so now I feel old, it's funny, I remember the games from the C64 would have me captivated for weeks/months, the games had to rely on 'gameplay' rather than graphical 'bling'.
Having said that, I downloaded a Commodore64 emulator for the PC, got some old games I remember were just so good............seems my judgment was not so good back then, they sucked, well, compared to the Xbox360 :)

So, all you guys who had C64's, did you ever type in the hex code from the magazines for new games?, I did, you spent a whole day entering hex numbers only to find it did not work :bash:
Joe, don't forget the 80's, long live the mullet :rockon:

Cheers,
Ross

kbracing96
June 16th, 2006, 04:03 PM
C64 games----JumpMan----!!!! Ya baby!! I did play that when I was a youngster! :notacrook:

joecar
June 16th, 2006, 04:57 PM
lol, yeah, the 80's were. :D

fyi
June 17th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Hmmmm, let's see..... I think I was saving my home business of lawnmower repair money (no kidding...) to purchase a state-of-the-art Tandy 1000 desk PC for the low-low price of $2800.00 with the optional dual 5 1/2" floppy disc drives!! :rockon: Man was that thing the bomb back then!!!

Now that computer was the *trick* one of the day if I recall.... Geeezzzz, age IS creeping up on me..... :bawl:

-john

joecar
June 17th, 2006, 05:36 AM
optional dual 5 1/2" floppy disc drives!! :rockon: Man was that thing the bomb back then!!!Mate, you had it made. :cheers:

Doc
June 17th, 2006, 02:08 PM
20 years ago I was fifteen, had long hair, and was in Norway. Monday, I leave for a week long business trip to Norway. 20 yrs ago if I would have had a chance to peak into the future and see all the wonders life has to offer now-wow! Moates controller! I beat up servral Trash 80's, C64's...I can't wait for what the future holds for me now at 35.

Garry
June 17th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Been there, done that ... did lots of programming myself, can't beat the knowledge and experience you get out of programming them lowly systems ... even after switching to the Amiga, I went back 2 years later and hacked together a parallel port debugger on the 64 as a terminal for the Amiga, as I didn't have an RS232 terminal available ... changed the Amiga Kickstart to use the parallel port instead, did my own 80 char emulation for the 64 ... those were the days ...

Years later, you get your hands on ATMEL microcontrollers, quick read of the features (more and faster than the whole C64), and off you are programming it, even using the assembly code ... all you need is the mnemonics and syntax ...

Kids nowadays won't go close anything like that. Too low-level. If it ain't VB, they're not touching it ...

joecar
June 17th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I liked the Z80 over the 6502, but I loved the M68000 when it came along in the late 70's, it's internal architecture was 32-bit (even tho the external bus was 16-bit), way ahead of any Intel junk or any other microprocessor at the time; it's still my favourite MPU of all time.

Nowadays everyone uses Java and XML to do things, who even touches assembly language any more (compiler writers do, and I do).

GMPX
June 18th, 2006, 12:30 AM
O.K, I win, I win, when I did my programming course back to school (6809 assembler), we had to write a program in hex to control a moc factory conveyer belt that checked a few things and routed the product in different directions.
Easy enough, but it had to be done in hex!!, from the op-code sheet then calculate branch address's, yes, one thing changes, the whole lot is screwed.
Talk about doing it the hard way!, but, it sure makes this 6833x assembly easy :) .

It's funny how so many C64 owners then went to the Amiga (me too), I finally caved and got a PC once Commodore was dead and gone.

Also, the Atmel, that is what we use in the Flashscan adaptor, a Mega8 in fact, great device for sure.

To finish off my programming rant, some great quotes -

"Visual Basic is to computer programming as QWERTY is to typing.

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration"

"Visual Basic is a poor imitation of an object system for a poor imitation of a programming language that poor imitations of programmers use to write poor imitations of programs for poor imitations of employers who pay poor imitations of programmers' salaries"

Assembler programmer's motto:
Every bit is sacred, Every bit is right.
If a bit is wasted, I can't sleep at night.

Cheers,
Ross

Garry
June 18th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Yeah, the Atmels are nice ... did a whole dragracing timing system with a single Mega163 controlling the tree, timing, everything ... (Linux PC only delivers and receives the data)

caver
June 18th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Hmm lets see I was finishing my compulsory 2 year tour of South Africa,Namibia and Angola courtesy of SANDF and sons.
SANDF= South African Defence Force

Tydriver
June 18th, 2006, 04:48 AM
So, all you guys who had C64's, did you ever type in the hex code from the magazines for new games?, I did, you spent a whole day entering hex numbers only to find it did not work :bash:
Cheers,
Ross

:notacrook:THANK YOU !!:notacrook:

I just thought it was me !!!!;)