PDA

View Full Version : Some more 4cyl questions.....

2kwik4u
June 19th, 2006, 12:34 AM
As some of you know, I was at S-series Nationals this weekend racing, and managed to finally break my seriously slow 2.2 OHV 4cyl in my '00 S10. The motor has 195,000 miles on it, so I'm not upset.....however it is time to move on.

I'm investigating two different avenues. Both are going to involve using EFILive to tune the truck.

Option #1. Find a junkyard 2.2, do some light headwork, and put a turbo on it. This would require that I have some way to tune the stock PCM in the S10, which I have heard is coming, but don't know of a timeline other than "a few months". If I choose to run this path, ultimately I can run an FMU until the software gets here, however I'd MUCH MUCH rather have the software in hand before I add the boost. 200% worst case, I'll use HPTuners since they have support for it, but if the software is only a year away....I'll wait for the higher quality stuff!!!

Option #2. This one is slightly more involved, and expensive, however I think is significantly better. Find an Ecotec from a cobalt SS, and use that motor mated to a transmission from a Pontiac Solstice. Factory boost is almost always more reliable than aftermarket in my experience. The Ecotec makes plenty of power, and would be a "cool" swap. My only concern is that EFILive is able to tune it. I searched and searched and searched for info on the boards here about the cobalt SS PCM, and found a few threads, but no definitive answer on yes/no it can/can't work. Anyone know anything about this PCM, and it's tuneability?

And, just for those wondering why I'm sticking with a 4banger, instead of going bigger to a 4.3, or LS1. The purpose of the truck is to do some track days, and primarily autocross. After seeing some LS1 RX7's having a hard time keeping traction, and controlling 320hp in a chassis not designed for that motor I'm convinced that I don't need or want that kind of power for what the truck will be doing. 250hp or so is the goal, and should make my 2900lb truck plenty fast, and fun to play with.

Thanks in advance for any and all info!!!