PDA

View Full Version : Tweak tuning instructions

eboggs_jkvl
June 19th, 2006, 08:16 AM
This sounds simple but it is probably a major PITA but I'm shameless!

Can the author of the EFILive AutoVE Tutorial please add the "1998" verbiage to the instructions? I hope that is not too difficult to do.

It currently reads on page 5, "For 1999 and 2000 and later operating systems" (I think that is a little incorrect as it shouldn't say "and later operating systems" because "2001 and later" (page 3) covers all the newer systems.).

Could it read, "For 1998 to 2000 Operating Systems"

Thanks,

Elmer

eboggs_jkvl
June 19th, 2006, 09:16 AM
One more thing. In the steps for Set up Open Loop, Speed Density.

If the temps are in F, not C, then the settings of 122C should be 252F
Steps, 5 (pg6) & 9 (pg8 )

Elmer

TAQuickness
July 19th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Will add the 98 verbiage, and will probably leave the tutorial in metric.

If you, or anyone else, finds anything else, feel free to shoot me a PM

eboggs_jkvl
July 19th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Metric is fine but the wording in F (converted of course) would be nice as it eliminates me having to convert. The world is not ALL metric. :)

Tordne
July 19th, 2006, 03:18 PM
The best solution is to create another unit class. Perhaps we could call it Metperial or something and then try and conquer the world...

TAQuickness
July 19th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Metric is fine but the wording in F (converted of course) would be nice as it eliminates me having to convert. The world is not ALL metric. :)

This is true. One of the first itterations of the AutoVE doc incorperated both metric and imperial. It seemed to clutter the document and add an element of confusion. As time permits, I'll see if I can get both the metric and imperial values into the doc without cluttering.

Blacky
July 20th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Internal combustion engines are measured in horse power, electric motors are measured in kW. Where's the majesty in kW? Horsepower has a sense of purpose that kW lacks. I like horsepower.

Other than that I was forced to use metric, I had no choice.
Dad tried his best to stick with inches, feet, miles, pounds and ounces. He even changed the oil in the car by the pint.

At least growing up as kids we had a challenge - most of the old cars we got to drive (the only ones we could afford) still had MPH on the speedometer, but the sign-posted advisory cornering speeds were all in kph. So we'd try and do the posted speed in mph instead of kph. :bash: Doh!

Paul

TAQuickness
July 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Elmer - '98 verbiage has been added. But I think I'm going to stick to my guns on the metric stuff.

ringram
July 20th, 2006, 07:51 PM
In the words of Neo "Its inevitable" How do you measure cylinder head capacity? and head port volume? Cubic Centimeters! Embrace the dark side!

By the late 1860s, even better metric standards were needed to keep pace with scientific advances. In 1875, an international agreement, known as the Convention of the Metre (http://lamar.colostate.edu/%7Ehillger/laws/metric-convention.html), set up well defined metric standards for length and mass and established permanent mechanisms to recommend and adopt further refinements in the metric system. This agreement, commonly called the Treaty of the Meter in the United States, was signed by 17 countries, including the United States. As a result of the Treaty, metric standards were constructed and distributed to each nation that ratified the Convention. Since 1893, the internationally adopted metric standards have served as the fundamental measurement standards of the United States. Our non-metric units have been defined in terms of these metric standards ever since.

In 1971, the U.S. Secretary of Commerce, in transmitting to Congress the results of a 3-year study authorized by the Metric Study Act of 1968 (http://lamar.colostate.edu/%7Ehillger/laws/metric-study-1968.html), recommended that the U.S. change to predominant use of the metric system through a coordinated 10-year national program. The U.S. Congress responded by enacting the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 (http://lamar.colostate.edu/%7Ehillger/laws/metric-conv.html), calling for voluntary conversion. (A 10-year deadline was included in the original bill, but the deadline was not included in the final version passed by Congress.)
Amendments to the Act in 1988 designated the metric system as the “preferred system of weights and measures for United States trade and commerce” and required that each federal agency, “by the end of the fiscal year 1992, use the metric system of measurement in its procurements, grants, and other business-related activities” to the extent feasible and practical.
Measurement science continues to develop more precise and easily reproducible ways of defining measurement units. The working organizations of the General Conference on Weights and Measures coordinate the exchange of information about the use and refinement of the metric system and make recommendations concerning improvements in the system and its related standards. Additions and improvements to SI are made by the General Conference, which meets periodically to ratify the changes, to keep up with technology.
A strong movement toward the use of the metric system in the U.S. during the 1970-1980 period lost momentum. Currently the U.S. is using dual measurements, where there is mixed use of the metric and inch-pound systems. A number of large industries and some smaller ones have converted to SI use. But, mainly due to lack of a mandate from U.S. voters, Congress has not pushed for a law making the metric system the sole measurement system in the U.S. However, as metric is the sole measurement language of most of the world, foreign customers buying U.S. products are gradually requiring that they be delivered labeled and produced in metric units; therefore, eventually, the chances are that the U.S. will become a metric nation.

joecar
July 20th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I use mixed units systems... for example, some values are easier to visualize in one system vs the other.

I was in 5th grade when Oz officially went metric in 1972, so I learnt both systems...

12 inches = 1 foot
3 feet = 1 yard
5.5 yards = 1 rod = 1 pole = 1 perch
4 rods = 1 chain
10 chains = 1 furlong
8 furlongs = 1 mile
3 miles = 1 league

6 feet = 1 fathom
25 links = 1 rod

40 sq rods = 1 rood
4 roods = 1 acre
640 acres = 1 sq mile

:D ...bloody useful stuff to clutter up one's brain (...or what's left of it...)... :D

Garry
July 20th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Hm ... "2 furlongs race" sounds a bit awkward ... :muahaha:

Garry
July 20th, 2006, 09:51 PM
So we'd try and do the posted speed in mph instead of kph.

Yeah, that's what I try not to do with my Firehawk ... though, driving less than the posted speed limit is a lot easier if the car is MPH and the signs are in km ... :)

eboggs_jkvl
July 21st, 2006, 05:20 AM
Cool, I didn't want to make a stir. In other instructions, the Yanks were coddled and the F numbers were tossed in and that helped. I think farenheit and 14.7 just the number in a parenthesis would be fine.

Set it to 0C (32F) and give it 80 degrees of advance yada yada To get a perfect A/F of 1.0 (14.7) stuff like that and I'm good to go.

Thanks,

Elmer

redhardsupra
July 21st, 2006, 09:03 AM
i use whatever units give me better resolution, I prefer F to C, but also I prefer g/sec than lb/hr.