PDA

View Full Version : Beta Test Release #1 (Feb 2018)

Blacky
January 31st, 2018, 04:51 PM
ATTENTION - BETA SOFTWARE RELEASE

We strongly recommend that you do not install the beta software over the top of your production systems. It is possible that the beta test software may fail and your production system may not be recoverable. lf you conduct a tuning business, please take the necessary precautions to protect your business. EFILive recommends beta testers use a separate FlashScan V2 device (when installing the latest beta firmware) and only install the EFILive beta test software on a separate PC, laptop or virtual machine.

The current public release is available here (https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?28154-Current-Public-Release-2-(Dec-2017)).

Release Notes:
Whats New (http://download.efilive.com/Software/whatsnew_8_2_13.htm)

Version Numbers:
After installing the Dec 2017 Public Release Release you should have the following software, boot block, firmware versions installed:

[*=1]EFILive V7 software: V7.5.17 To view the installed version, select Help->About (in the V7 Scan or Tune software).
[*=1]EFILive V8 software: V8.2.13 To view the installed version, select Help->About (in the V8 Scan and Tune software).
[*=1]Boot Block: V2.07.007 (Feb 07, 2014) To view/update the Boot Block, click the [Check Firmware] button in the V8 Scan and Tune software.
[*=1] Firmware: V2.07.130 (Jan 31, 2018) To view/update the Firmware, click the [Check Firmware] button in the V8 Scan and Tune software.

Download here:
Download EFILive V7.5 (http://download.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7.5.17_Beta_01_Setup.exe)
Download EFILive V8 (http://download.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILiveV8.2.13_Beta_01_Setup.exe)

Known Issues:
Issue #1:
If you are Black Box Logging PIDs from an ECM and TCM simultaneously and you have selected a PID from the transmission controller (TCM) that has an identically named PID in the engine controller (ECM), then when the log file is loaded back into the V8 software for viewing, that TCM PID will be displayed as if it originated from the ECM. The PID's data will have correctly been logged from the TCM, only its name will appear to indicate that it was logged from the ECM.

Workaround:
None.
It is a restriction of the *.efi (V7.5 log file format). That restriction will be removed and the TCM PIDs will display their true origin once the V8 scan tool software is available and fully integrated with the V8 tuning tool software.

Issue #2:
When logging DMA PIDs (i.e. PIDs whose names end with "_M" or "_DMA"), if the ignition is switched off for an extended period while data logging but data logging is not terminated, then when the ignition is switched on again the data log automatically continues. However the DMA PIDs may no longer return valid data.
Workaround:
EFILive recommends stopping the data log and restarting the data log when switching off the ignition for extended periods.

-

cindy@efilive
February 1st, 2018, 06:17 PM
For those customers who have asked about EFILive_XCal, additional information can be found here http://www.efilive.com/latest/cummins-hd-file-conversion/

Once the Feburary beta software is installed, EFILive_XCal can be found in the C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V8 directory.

Cheers
Cindy

Tre-Cool
February 1st, 2018, 07:04 PM
Unlock and erase selected controllers E38, E40, E67, LS1B, E54 (LB7) and E60 (LLY), by trying all keys in a user defined range. Stopping and re-starting is now also supported.

Nice, will give this a shot tonight. I normally use a different app to find the unlock codes.

GMC-2002-Dmax
February 2nd, 2018, 02:42 AM
Will this new method repair controller with the $0333 re-arming issues ?

Thank You !!!

Tre-Cool
February 2nd, 2018, 02:51 AM
Nice, will give this a shot tonight. I normally use a different app to find the unlock codes.

I tried to find where i could do this, played around with both v8 and 7.5 and it would always say ecu is locked. Or is this feature not intended to do what i was expecting.. i.e start at 0001 and work its way to FFFE until it finds the code.

rcr1978
February 3rd, 2018, 06:07 AM
Unlock and erase selected controllers E38, E40, E67, LS1B, E54 (LB7) and E60 (LLY), by trying all keys in a user defined range. Stopping and re-starting is now also supported.

I ran into trouble the other day with a LB7 that was previously flashed with a DSP2 OS that would give me a locked controller warning and a failed flash when trying to do a full with a DSP5 OS. I had to full flash the stock file and then full the DSP5 OS to make it take, is this going to help with that or is this going to help with a corrupted ECM serial/vin?

GMPX
February 3rd, 2018, 10:12 AM
I normally use a different app to find the unlock codes.
Not everyone has access to that program (I'm thinking of the one that was on Ebay for a while there). Anyway, point is lots of shops asked for this because they were fed up with organising new ECM's or sending them away to be unlocked.
The difference is we've taken the trouble to help tuners by not just unlocking the ECM and then allowing the unlocker to read back the tune, it is an unlock and flash process in one. That would be the number one complaint with that other tool, it allows thieves to steal tunes. If that doesn't suit people then they need to use the tool you do.

Will this new method repair controller with the $0333 re-arming issues ?
It would eventually unlock it but the LB7 ECM has issues with locking itself, we can't fix that unfortunately. And I'm sure you've been burnt with TIS locking them up too? Not the best design from GM (Isuzu).

Blacky
February 3rd, 2018, 11:41 AM
I tried to find where i could do this, played around with both v8 and 7.5 and it would always say ecu is locked. Or is this feature not intended to do what i was expecting.. i.e start at 0001 and work its way to FFFE until it finds the code.

The option is only available in the cal-flash section.

The controller is erased and unlocked once the key is found. The key is not revealed.
The restart option is required if you want to stop it and restart it again without re-trying all the keys that have already been tried. That is because the keys are tried in a random order in the range specified.

For example if the range was from 1 to 20 the first 5 keys tried might be 3, 18, 12, 4 and 8. If you stopped it after 5 unlock attempts and naively restarted it using the range 6-20 (thinking that it had already tried keys 1-5), then it would never have try keys 1, 2 or 5. And it would have tried 18, 12 and 8 twice - once in the first attempt and once in the retried attempt.

If you click the [Stop] button to interrupt the range unlock, it saves the "to" and "from" keys, the attempt counter and the key that it was up to in the EFILiveScanAndTune.ini file. That way it can successfully restart (when you check the [Restart] box) from where it was up to - but obviously only for the same controller that was interrupted.

Regards
Paul

GMC-2002-Dmax
February 4th, 2018, 04:40 AM
I assume it requires no License to perform the process ?

I have a WORKSHOP CABLE, but for those that do not, is there licensing required ?

And will a STOCK TUNE be needed to enable the CAL FLASH ? Or in the case of a locked controller with DSP5 how is that handled for LB7's.

Thanks Again !!

Blacky
February 4th, 2018, 12:45 PM
I assume it requires no License to perform the process ?

I have a WORKSHOP CABLE, but for those that do not, is there licensing required ?

And will a STOCK TUNE be needed to enable the CAL FLASH ? Or in the case of a locked controller with DSP5 how is that handled for LB7's.

Thanks Again !!

No, the target ECM does not need to be licensed. However to flash back in a valid calibration the ECM will need to be licensed.
Once the key is found the ECM is cal-erased and left in a dead-poll and unlocked state.
The ECM must then be cal-flashed with whatever file is compatible with the controller's OS or full-flashed with whatever file is compatible with the controller hardware/boot block.

The tune that is loaded while performing the unlock does not need to be compatible with the target controller as it is not flashed into the controller. But it is a good idea to have a valid tune file ready to flash back in once it has been unlocked/erased - otherwise the ECM will be non-function without a calibration in it.

Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
February 4th, 2018, 01:58 PM
No, the target ECM does not need to be licensed. However to flash back in a valid calibration the ECM will need to be licensed.
Once the key is found the ECM is cal-erased and left in a dead-poll and unlocked state.
The ECM must then be cal-flashed with whatever file is compatible with the controller's OS or full-flashed with whatever file is compatible with the controller hardware/boot block.

The tune that is loaded while performing the unlock does not need to be compatible with the target controller as it is not flashed into the controller. But it is a good idea to have a valid tune file ready to flash back in once it has been unlocked/erased - otherwise the ECM will be non-function without a calibration in it.

Regards
Paul

That makes a lot more sense now. As i was wondering how you would get around flashing over say a locked custom os hpt tune.

I assumed that it would be on the read side that we would be trying to find the unlock code. not on the flash.

The program i use was written by a local guy here in Perth which uses an old ELM cable, so it's purely to find the code so i can reset back to stock and flash over.

GMPX
February 4th, 2018, 03:16 PM
The program i use was written by a local guy here in Perth which uses an old ELM cable, so it's purely to find the code so i can reset back to stock and flash over.
So Unlock My ECU (UME) by Envyous Customs? Lucky the world is so honest and people wouldn't use that to find the Key and unlock with tuning software :music_whistling_1: That is like not holding a locksmith to blame when burglars enter via the front door with a key.

Tre-Cool
February 4th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Yeah same guy, just an earlier version of that software.

Most (90%) of the unlocks I do are for other people\shops who do not lock ecu's after tuning & are generally further modifying, So they are not going to be interested in keeping what was already in the ecu. The only exception to that was just recently when the owner of a car has had multiple engine failures with the original builder/tuner & they have gone elsewhere, new shop has requested a copy of the original "tune" along with a stock calibration flash to start over with.

I'll have to give the efi unlock strategy a go on the next one, it might save me some time.

I do appreciate the new features.

GMC-2002-Dmax
February 5th, 2018, 03:55 AM

Regards
Paul

Thank You for the explanation, so in the case of an LB7 DSP5, the ecm is erased but not the bootloader ???, but the CAL is now missing, so a simple cal flash of a LB7 ecm will restore the controller even if it was a DSP5 prior to unlocking ?

Just looking to have the correct procedure for the LB7 and LLY when a DSP5 is the current LOCKED/Calibration, I know its an EFI-LIVE custom OS and its written to the ecm all in the same place, so I assume that just a CAL flash writes everything needed to correct the ecm after unlocking ?

This is a great tool !!

Thanks for spending the time to build it for us !!!

GMPX
February 5th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Thank You for the explanation, so in the case of an LB7 DSP5, the ecm is erased but not the bootloader ???, but the CAL is now missing, so a simple cal flash of a LB7 ecm will restore the controller even if it was a DSP5 prior to unlocking ?
Not quite, the LB7 ECM suffers the same design constraints as the LS1 PCM where there is no bootblock in the ECM, so when a full flash is done the entire flash has to be erased (dangerous). What Paul is saying is that in the case of the unlock it doesn't matter what file you have loaded ready to flash in it doesn't get written therefore no compatibility issues exist.

If you are wanting to go from a DSP back to a regular GM OS then you have to full flash the GM OS in once the ECM is unlocked.

Blacky
February 5th, 2018, 12:04 PM

Yes.

The cal is erased but the OS is left fully operational. For VPW based controllers (LSB1, LB7, LLY) you should see the orange LED second from the right on FlashScan flashing at 4 times per second indicating that the OS is polling for a scan tool to program the missing calibrations.

Once the ECM has been cal-erased and left in dead-poll it only requires a cal-flash to restore it regardless of whether it has a DSP5 or stock OS.

And as Ross was pointing out the tune file that is loaded while searching the key range is not automatically flashed into the ECM so it doesn't matter what file you have loaded while doing the key range search, other than it must be the same controller type as the target controller. Once the key has been found and the ECM has been cal-erased you will need to cal-flash a file that has the same OS as the OS that remains in the controller. Or full-flash it with some other OS that is compatible with the ECM hardware.

Regards
Paul

GMPX
February 5th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Once the ECM has been cal-erased and left in dead-poll it only requires a cal-flash to restore it regardless of whether it has a DSP5 or stock OS.

That reads confusing which is why I think the question was asked.
Yes it matters that you have the correct file ready to cal flash, in other words no you cannot cal flash a stock OS tune in to a DSP tune to restore it once it is unlocked, the same compatibility rules apply there.

GMC-2002-Dmax
February 6th, 2018, 04:31 AM
That reads confusing which is why I think the question was asked.
Yes it matters that you have the correct file ready to cal flash, in other words no you cannot cal flash a stock OS tune in to a DSP tune to restore it once it is unlocked, the same compatibility rules apply there.

So if I load a DSP-BASE OS, meaning just a EFI-Live Converted DSP5 OS for either LB7 or LLY, initiate the UNLOCK Program, once the KEY if found and the CAL erased, then a simple DSP5 matching CAL FLASH will make the ecm happy again ?

Then I am free to load a new STOCK or DSP5 in using Program FULL ?

Thanks Again

Chavez91
February 7th, 2018, 07:40 AM
so when a full flash is done the entire flash has to be erased (dangerous).

Well actually everything after 0x8000... All the flash before that isnt touched (I.E. The "Bootblock" and Key-Off Memory) ;)

Blacky
February 7th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Well actually everything after 0x8000... All the flash before that isnt touched (I.E. The "Bootblock" and Key-Off Memory) ;)

Just to clarify, on the LLY E60 controller the boot block and NVRAM are not erased.
However a full flash on the LB7 E54 controller erases all data from 0x0000, including NVRAM.

Regards
Paul

69camaro5speed
February 9th, 2018, 07:48 PM
( point is lots of shops asked for this because they were fed up with organising new ECM's or sending them away to be unlocked)
yeah I am so tired of dealing with that. I have a locked e40 on my dyno right now after 2 weeks I found a ecm what a pain
I was going to try this but sounds like I need to add a e40 connector to my bench flash so I can test this.
I will be happy with putting a base tune back in to unlock it I do not care about some one else work it has a new motor in it
now from the last tuner
Question I have is your example rang of 0001 to fffe does that cover all possible key ranges if so any idea how long it would take to cover them all
month, 3 years 10 years?
or is there any way to cover them all or know how long it would take

Tre-Cool
February 9th, 2018, 10:05 PM
worst case its like 8 days

1FastBrick
February 11th, 2018, 06:40 PM
So Unlock My ECU (UME) by Envyous Customs? Lucky the world is so honest and people wouldn't use that to find the Key and unlock with tuning software :music_whistling_1: That is like not holding a locksmith to blame when burglars enter via the front door with a key.

Did EFI Live purchase the rights to his work???

Tre-Cool
February 11th, 2018, 06:59 PM
There is nothing to purchase, the efilive guys already know how to unlock a standard locked ecu with the known algorithms. All they are doing is just "brute-forcing" all the possible keys from 0000 to fffe (hex data) and anyone who knows how to talk to the gm ecu's could come up with this.

GMPX
February 11th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Did EFI Live purchase the rights to his work???
Interesting question, I didn't think that people would assume that but I guess it's a fair observation.
There was one driving factor behind why we added this function in for all our users, and that is tools like the Envyous Customs unlocker expose the unlock Key to the user. This means once found they can enter in the unlock key to their desired tuning tool and read the file out (tuners get pretty mad about this).

Over the years we've considered coming up with far more elaborate ECM locking systems than what GM have but in the end 99% of the time the only person that will inconvenience is the innocent tuner or the car owner so it wasn't worth it.

The hope is that with all our customers now being able to unlock ECM's it should reduce down time when locked vehicles come in for a tune, plus the way it works the tune ECM will be removed when the ECM is unlocked so it works along side the industry rather than exposing all the secrets tuners might have in their tunes.

Cheers,
Ross

1FastBrick
February 11th, 2018, 07:54 PM
There is nothing to purchase, the efilive guys already know how to unlock a standard locked ecu with the known algorithms. All they are doing is just "brute-forcing" all the possible keys from 0000 to fffe (hex data) and anyone who knows how to talk to the gm ecu's could come up with this.

Someone purchased the rights to UME. I was just curious if it was EFI Live.

Previously I was trying to help a friend with a Locked ECU situation. We had no info on who previously tuned it or work that may have been done to it.

1FastBrick
February 11th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Interesting question, I didn't think that people would assume that but I guess it's a fair observation.
There was one driving factor behind why we added this function in for all our users, and that is tools like the Envyous Customs unlocker expose the unlock Key to the user. This means once found they can enter in the unlock key to their desired tuning tool and read the file out (tuners get pretty mad about this).

Over the years we've considered coming up with far more elaborate ECM locking systems than what GM have but in the end 99% of the time the only person that will inconvenience is the innocent tuner or the car owner so it wasn't worth it.

The hope is that with all our customers now being able to unlock ECM's it should reduce down time when locked vehicles come in for a tune, plus the way it works the tune ECM will be removed when the ECM is unlocked so it works along side the industry rather than exposing all the secrets tuners might have in their tunes.

Cheers,
Ross

Thanks EFI Live for adding the feature!

I was just curious because I contacted him last year about his product. At that Time he stated he sold the rights to that specific product and under his contract he could not discuss who the seller was.
He also didn't want to alienate any of his customers that had purchase it prior to selling the rights.

While I could see how some could use it in a negative manner, That was not my intention.

While some ECU's aren't worth the cost to send out and have unlocked and sent back, some ECU's are very expensive even on the used market. I was looking for an alternative way to recover ECU's.

Was just curious is all. Thanks for replying

GMPX
February 12th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Someone purchased the rights to UME. I was just curious if it was EFI Live.
Right, now your question makes sense. Well, sorry to whoever purchased it :lookaround:

Tre-Cool
February 12th, 2018, 05:22 PM
yeah im not sure why anyone would of purchased the rights. Didn't think there really is anything of it to own. I can understand him charging a license fee per person.

Guys have worked out to do the brute force thing using windows powershell scripting so yeah.. what would you be buying but an gui interface with some scripting.

GMPX
February 12th, 2018, 06:20 PM
what would you be buying but an gui interface with some scripting.
LOL, so true.