PDA

View Full Version : V8 Explorer will not open (running on VMware Fusion)

mschmitz1867
February 7th, 2018, 05:28 AM
downloaded the most recent software and can get the scan and tune program to open but the explorer will not open. keep getting an exception error pop up saying there was an accessviolation in module efilive.explorer.exe. access violation of address 007A5BB7. read of address 00000000.
anyone dealt with this? a simple uninstall/reinstall has not fixed the issue.

joecar
February 7th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Which version of V8 do you have installed...?

Blacky
February 7th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Try deleting the file \Documents\EFILive\V8\Config\EFILiveExplorer.ini - just in case there are some settings that are corrupted and/or causing problems with the software.
Please save a copy of the ini file before deleting it. If deleting the file fixes the problem, can you please send me the saved version that was causing the problem.

If that doesn't work, try this:
When you double click on the EFILive Explorer icon on the desktop hold down the Ctrl key on the keyboard. That will force the EFILive_Explorer.exe (and EFILive_Hapi.exe) programs to create xxx_StartupLog.txt files in \Documents\EFILive\V8\Trace.

Send files to me at paul@efilive.com

Regards
Paul

mschmitz1867
February 15th, 2018, 03:38 AM
I should have mentioned earlier: I am running the program through VMWare on my mac. I have seen this done in the past without the issues I am experiencing.

I have installed/reinstalled/updated to most current version of windows, VMware, V8 software. i have tried this multiple times without getting past the V8 Explorer issue. Scan & Tune program works without issue.
I do not have a file called \Documents\EFILive\V8\Config\EFILiveExplorer.ini after installing the software. i have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times and I can never locate this file.

I also do not know how to force the EFILive_Explorer.exe and Hapi to create startup logs, as i do not have the control key on my mac. is there another way to create the logs?

I can send screenshots of what I am seeing if that helps?

joecar
February 15th, 2018, 05:42 AM
Yes, please post screenshots.

Blacky
February 15th, 2018, 07:35 AM
I also do not know how to force the EFILive_Explorer.exe and Hapi to create startup logs, as i do not have the control key on my mac. is there another way to create the logs?

I think holding down CTRL and clicking on the Explorer icon in VMware will do the equivalent of a right-click - which is not what you need.
I think holding down CTRL+OPTION and double clicking on the Explorer icon in VMware will do a Ctrl+Left-click.

Regards
Paul

mschmitz1867
February 18th, 2018, 02:57 AM
21836[/attach[attach=config]2183621836

mschmitz1867
February 18th, 2018, 03:07 AM
that worked well. NOT. this is what i am seeing when try to open the program, what i see when i try to access the config file through documents folder as directed, where i can locate the software (C drive), and what i see in the Config folder. i cannot locate the files directed to search for. also when i try to use control+option to run explorer and hapi program, i do not even have the trace folder to look for startup logs.
what now?

Blacky
February 18th, 2018, 09:20 AM
that worked well. NOT. this is what i am seeing when try to open the program, what i see when i try to access the config file through documents folder as directed, where i can locate the software (C drive), and what i see in the Config folder. i cannot locate the files directed to search for. also when i try to use control+option to run explorer and hapi program, i do not even have the trace folder to look for startup logs.
what now?

Have you started the "EFILive V8 Scan And Tune" software at least once? Running it will create all the folders necessary for the other software (like EFILive_Explorer) to use. I.e. it will create the \Documents\EFILive\V8 folder and the required sub folders. Maybe that is all it will take to get EFILive_Explorer to run without error.

To be honest I don't think I've ever run EFILive Explorer first on a clean install (before the Documents\EFILive folder is created by Scan and Tune). I will investigate and see if that does cause a problem.

Regards
Paul

mschmitz1867
February 18th, 2018, 01:30 PM
I ran the scan and tune application and it did create the files in the \Documents folder that you mentioned. the ...explorer.exe file still cannot be located here. i also cannot get anything to show up in the Trace folder using the suggested control+option method of opening the explorer. attached is what i see in the Config folder, and the contents of the V8 folder. 2184221843

Blacky
February 18th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Does EFILive_Explorer start without error now? Or do you still get the error?
Regards
Paul

mschmitz1867
February 19th, 2018, 01:04 AM
Still getting the error.

mschmitz1867
February 19th, 2018, 06:47 AM
I am also not able to connect the autocal after reinstalling the program and Microsoft updates. Error:$0020:efilive usb driver dll not loaded.

Blacky
February 19th, 2018, 02:03 PM
I am also not able to connect the autocal after reinstalling the program and Microsoft updates. Error:$0020:efilive usb driver dll not loaded.

Try using the EFILive_USBManager to un-install, then re-install the USB drivers.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
February 20th, 2018, 08:02 PM
I ran the scan and tune application and it did create the files in the \Documents folder that you mentioned. the ...explorer.exe file still cannot be located here. i also cannot get anything to show up in the Trace folder using the suggested control+option method of opening the explorer. attached is what i see in the Config folder, and the contents of the V8 folder.

A new beta version of EFILive has been posted here: https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?28273-Current-Beta-Test-Release-2-(Feb-2018)

A new command line option was added to EFILive_Explorer.exe called "/Log" that, when appended to the "Target" field of the EFILive EXplorer's shortcut properties window, will generate the start up log file.
So try changing the shortcut that starts EFILive Explorer to have /Log at the end of it, like this:

Regards
Paul

mschmitz1867
February 24th, 2018, 09:58 AM
i still cannot get the scan and tune program to recognize my autocal. I have tried using the usbmanager tool to uninstall and reinstall new drivers. the uninstall appears to work, but nothing happens when I follow the prompt to unplug and replug the autocal device to the computer to install the new drivers.

mschmitz1867
February 24th, 2018, 09:59 AM
why cant we just schedule a time to run a simple webex program so you can see what I am experiencing and fix it?

Blacky
February 24th, 2018, 07:10 PM
why cant we just schedule a time to run a simple webex program so you can see what I am experiencing and fix it?

You are running this on a Mac in a virtual machine - right? If so, that is not something that EFILive officially supports, therefor it's not something that we can fix. If the drivers are not loading correctly then there is most likely some configuration in the VM that is not correctly emulating a real Windows installation. We are not VMWare experts and can't diagnose problems with VMWare configurations on MacOS or Windows.

However, I am still trying to help you to help yourself by adding the new /Log option to EFILive Explorer. Did you try that yet? What showed up in the startup log file?

Regards
Paul

mschmitz1867
February 28th, 2018, 05:46 AM
good news! i have deleted the virtual machine and reinstalled a new virtual machine, and first attempt the Scan and Tune tool AND V8 Explorer opened!
the bad news: Everything seems to work successfully now, EXCEPT for the autocal not connecting. i still get the $0020 USB driver DLL not loaded error when trying to connect the autocal. I still cannot get the drivers to load. is there a possibility that my cable is bad? or is there another way i can get the drivers to load rather than through the USB manager? i can look at the autocal and see on the display that i have the correct boot block and firmware and stuff.

mschmitz1867
February 28th, 2018, 07:25 AM
SOLVED.
thank you for allowing me to fix this issue 100% on my own!
If anyone experiences any of the EFI Live applications to not load in the VMWare Fusion parallel, Delete the Virtual machine through Window --> Virtual machine library. right click and shut down the current virtual machine and reinstall a new Virtual Machine.
If anyone experiences the Virtual Machine not allowing the USB port to connect, Shut down the VM, reboot the Mac, open System Preferences and navigate to Security & Privacy. In the General tab, there may be a prompt that says VMWare fusion has been blocked blah blah blah, click allow, and restart the Virtual Machine. If this does not fix, Shut down the virtual machine through the Virtual Machine tab at the top of the screen, then scroll down to the USB & Bluetooth icon and open USB & Bluetooth Settings. If a USB is present showing EFILIVE hardware, the USB compatibility may need to be switched from 3.0 to USB 2.0. this worked for me. IF that does not work, you may need to either Add the Device, or remove the USB Controller and re-add the USB controller. I did not have this option as i have a mac with no USB port.
The Autocal or V2 device not connecting is most definitely a mac issue and not a hardware or VMware Fusion issue. Google searching USB port not showing up in VMWare Fusion model XXX will help with different variations of solving the issue.

mschmitz1867
February 28th, 2018, 07:26 AM
all of this to recalibrate my speedo.......

joecar
February 28th, 2018, 08:47 AM
SOLVED.
If anyone experiences any of the EFI Live applications to not load in the VMWare Fusion parallel, Delete the Virtual machine through Window --> Virtual machine library. right click and shut down the current virtual machine and reinstall a new Virtual Machine.
If anyone experiences the Virtual Machine not allowing the USB port to connect, Shut down the VM, reboot the Mac, open System Preferences and navigate to Security & Privacy. In the General tab, there may be a prompt that says VMWare fusion has been blocked blah blah blah, click allow, and restart the Virtual Machine. If this does not fix, Shut down the virtual machine through the Virtual Machine tab at the top of the screen, then scroll down to the USB & Bluetooth icon and open USB & Bluetooth Settings. If a USB is present showing EFILIVE hardware, the USB compatibility may need to be switched from 3.0 to USB 2.0. this worked for me. IF that does not work, you may need to either Add the Device, or remove the USB Controller and re-add the USB controller. I did not have this option as i have a mac with no USB port.
The Autocal or V2 device not connecting is most definitely a mac issue and not a hardware or VMware Fusion issue. Google searching USB port not showing up in VMWare Fusion model XXX will help with different variations of solving the issue.Thanks for your explanation, I'll sticky this thread.

joecar
February 28th, 2018, 08:57 AM
all of this to recalibrate my speedo.......
This stuff happens all the time, in all domains... one example (of many): to replace the transmission extension housing seal on my TA, the factory catback blocks the driveshaft, so the catback has to be removed, but the rear axle blocks the catback (since the catback is all one-piece, from the factory), so the rear axle has to be dropped... all that just to change a stupid $1.00 seal that was leaking :doh:

but I did get better acquainted with rear axles, differentials, and rear suspensions (and those devolved into another set of tangents) me -> :chair:<- they

:grin:

ScarabEpic22
February 28th, 2018, 09:22 AM
EFILive states they do not support installation on anything but a native Windows computer/hardware. You are using an unsupported configuration and expecting them to understand your unique problem and assist with fixing it. That is not a realistic ask in my opinion. Paul also added functionality to the product to assist you with this issue...

Glad you were able to resolved the issue and thanks for posting back for others.

GMPX
February 28th, 2018, 11:05 AM
SOLVED.
You got a Windows machine then? :w00t:

P.S - Nobody bites harder than a Mac user being mocked, don't take offence it was a joke.

SS2win
February 28th, 2018, 12:37 PM
P.S - Nobody bites harder than a Mac user being mocked, don't take offence it was a joke.

I need this on a t-shirt!

Blacky
February 28th, 2018, 07:09 PM
SOLVED.

Congrats, thanks for the trouble shooting work you did figuring out the VMWare stuff. The info you posted will probably save a lot of time and headaches for other users who want to do the same thing.

Regards
Paul

Agustina
March 28th, 2018, 02:01 AM
I also do not know how to force the EFILive_Explorer.exe and Hapi to create startup logs, as i do not have the control key on my mac.

Blacky
March 28th, 2018, 09:50 AM
I also do not know how to force the EFILive_Explorer.exe and Hapi to create startup logs, as i do not have the control key on my mac.

See post #15, earlier in this thread.
Regards
Paul