PDA

View Full Version : T87 CAN Protocol for 8L90 control?

1BadAction
March 1st, 2018, 02:08 PM
I still want to do this, 3+ years on... What kind of inputs, exactly, does the controller need? and is it absolutely necessary for it to receive some kind of signal over the CAN bus? If so, is there anyone out there that can dig up technical details like the CAN ID, table numbers, and offsets and what particular functions they refer to? Thanks.

GMPX
March 1st, 2018, 02:40 PM
What are you wanting to do? Run it as a standalone without a GM ECM?

1BadAction
March 1st, 2018, 02:43 PM
Yes, without the E92, because the engine it's going on is still "dumb" without cam/crank sensors and obviously not GDI injectors.

The engine controller does have modifiable CAN capability...

GMPX
March 1st, 2018, 03:07 PM
Is it absolutely necessary for it to receive some kind of signal over the CAN bus?
Yes, it needs to receive information from the ECM about RPM, Torque, pedal position etc.

If so, is there anyone out there that can dig up technical details like the CAN ID, table numbers, and offsets and what particular functions they refer to?.
Outside of GM engineering this is doubtful unfortunately.

Highlander
April 17th, 2018, 08:12 AM
http://tbmsport.com/6l8090eswapcomponents.html

CHeck those out.

MobileProg
April 17th, 2018, 10:23 AM
http://tbmsport.com/6l8090eswapcomponents.html

CHeck those out.

If you had to do it from scratch.....

Physically isolate the TCM from the bus and use a can gateway to allow all messages through and then remove one by one until you have only the messages necessary for TCM operation. From there RE the messages and then emulate them on your current controller.

1FastBrick
April 18th, 2018, 07:16 PM
The link above is for the 6 speeds 6L80E/6L90E not the 8 speed.

GMPP offers a stand alone 8L90E for use with there crate engines kits for older cars. Unfortunately what they offer is not very clear. I don't even see the controller kit for the 8L90E.

Highlander
April 21st, 2018, 03:46 AM
The controller they offer is to be paired with their own E92 setup. I believe that on the link that I posted that the emulator works for the 8l90e too. Contact them....

The 8 speed can be made to work with the E67 though.

1FastBrick
April 21st, 2018, 04:43 AM
The controller they offer is to be paired with their own E92 setup. I believe that on the link that I posted that the emulator works for the 8l90e too. Contact them....

The Non direct injection crate motors they offer like the LS3 run on the E67.

yrkdmaxh2
July 26th, 2018, 03:27 PM

I was wondering about that since some of the GDI engines were available with the 6l80/90 before the 8l90 came out.

Anything special that needs to be done with the 8L90 to get it to work with an E67?

This is the exact combo that I was looking to mate together so I appreciate any help sir

Telco
March 14th, 2021, 05:04 PM
Bump, did anything ever come of this?