View Full Version : Do I have to have a commercial license to upgrade OS?

Diarrheabetes
May 6th, 2018, 09:27 AM
What do I have to buy to upgrade my OS? I currently just have a Flashscan V2.

ScarabEpic22
May 7th, 2018, 05:53 PM
No, all FlashScan V2s (with a Tuning option) come with the "Commercial" license, the Personal license was deprecated when the FlashScan V1 was retired.

You need to obtain the correct base file, if yours is not it, then follow the upgrade process outlined in the help documents. Depending on the controller in question, the process can vary slightly.

joecar
May 8th, 2018, 01:07 PM
The ECM (or PCM) has to be compatible with the OS (or vice-versa).

Diarrheabetes
August 7th, 2018, 01:08 PM
I have updated the EFI Live tuning software v7.5 and v8 to the latest available and I updated the firmware on my Flashscan V2 to the latest available. Everything I have read in the tutorials says I need to save the calibration as .tun, but when I try to do so it only gives me the .ctz option. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.

I can tell you that my Flashscan V2 was purchased in ~2009.

One of the operating systems is 12205612 (model year 2000) and the other is 12587604 (model year 2004) and they're both LS1B controllers. When I select the Upgrade OS tab in v7.5 it shows everything grayed out and doesn't give me any options for a custom OS.

joecar
August 8th, 2018, 07:11 AM
In the V7 tunetool, .tun has been replaced by .ctz.

So in the tutorials, wherever it says .tun, just replace this with .ctz.

Diarrheabetes
August 8th, 2018, 07:23 AM
So is there somewhere I need to download the operating system for my specific application? Maybe a link I'm overlooking in the tutorial or on this forum? It doesn't seem that there are any current options for a custom os when I go to the custom os tab.

joecar
August 8th, 2018, 07:29 AM
What is your current OS...?

What year/model/vehicle do you have...?

LS1B: you flash in the COS (you don't look under the COS tab).
E38: you don't necessarily need a COS (i.e. there will be nothing under the COS tab).

Diarrheabetes
August 8th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Current os - 12205612

2000 Chevy silverado

I need the custom os for a recent turbo install.

joecar
August 8th, 2018, 05:43 PM
According to the LS1B COS tutorial, there is no COS for OS 12205612.

Diarrheabetes
August 9th, 2018, 01:39 AM
Ok so can I use my 04 Pontiac gto pcm in the silverado?
Operating system 12587604. It looks like that is on the list. I know the connectors are different colors, but are the pinouts different?

joecar
August 9th, 2018, 06:26 AM
Are the two PCM's compatible...?

Is your Silverado's PCM 512KB...?
Is your GTO's PCM 512KB or 1MB...?

Try flashing the 2002 F-car 12212156 tune into your PCM.

joecar
August 9th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Pinouts might be slightly different (I haven't checked all of them...).

Diarrheabetes
August 9th, 2018, 07:11 AM
The GTO PCM is 1MB. The connectors are blue/green.
The Silverado PCM is 512kB. The connectors are red/blue.

Both vehicles are cable throttle.

joecar
August 9th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Ah, you would be swapping PCM's...

We would have to get hold of the PCM pinout diagrams and compare them

( they are available on the internet some place, I don't remember where )

Diarrheabetes
August 9th, 2018, 09:10 AM
So here's what I'm understanding, I use the GTO PCM (depending on pinout), do a full pcm flash to custom os, then do a calibration only flash for the 'tune'.

joecar
August 9th, 2018, 09:20 AM
So here's what I'm understanding, I use the GTO PCM (depending on pinout), do a full pcm flash to custom os, then do a calibration only flash for the 'tune'.

What OS is in your PTO PCM...?
Is it listed in the LS1B COS tutorial...?
If so, then yes, correct.

( and, if the pinout is different, you can repin the connectors, this is simple to do )

ScarabEpic22
August 9th, 2018, 05:02 PM
Don't bother swapping to the 04 GTO PCM, it will just add more headache to what you're trying to do. Use the 02 OS 12212156 for a Silverado and start with that as your base file. If this is a swap, you can use a Camaro file too, just note the pinouts change. I *believe* the 00 and 02 Silverados have the same PCM pinout, I'd recommend double checking. Look at the DropBox (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ydh5wltk3ssxbw/AAAOydqwo_stEO4Rs4SRJ9NGa?dl=0])for a base file, there are a few to choose from. Simply Full Flash this file into your 00 PCM and then begin the COS tutorial (replace .tun w/.ctz as Joe said).

Follow the COS upgrade tutorial from there, this OS gives you COS5 which is the best COS EFILive has for the 512kb LS1B PCMs.

Diarrheabetes
August 10th, 2018, 02:05 AM
Don't bother swapping to the 04 GTO PCM, it will just add more headache to what you're trying to do. Use the 02 OS 12212156 for a Silverado and start with that as your base file. If this is a swap, you can use a Camaro file too, just note the pinouts change. I *believe* the 00 and 02 Silverados have the same PCM pinout, I'd recommend double checking. Look at the DropBox (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4ydh5wltk3ssxbw/AAAOydqwo_stEO4Rs4SRJ9NGa?dl=0])for a base file, there are a few to choose from. Simply Full Flash this file into your 00 PCM and then begin the COS tutorial (replace .tun w/.ctz as Joe said).

Follow the COS upgrade tutorial from there, this OS gives you COS5 which is the best COS EFILive has for the 512kb LS1B PCMs.

Awesome! I guess I just need to find a way to double check the pinouts between the two.

joecar
August 10th, 2018, 06:55 AM
Don't bother swapping to the 04 GTO PCM, it will just add more headache to what you're trying to do.
...+1 I agree, it will be a distraction/tangent.

ScarabEpic22
August 15th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Awesome! I guess I just need to find a way to double check the pinouts between the two.

A subscription to AllDataDIY may provide the info you need for a reasonable price, but I'd suggest searching around as I know you're not the first to do this so the info may be readily available!