PDA

View Full Version : Current Public Release (May 2018)

Blacky
May 10th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Release Notes:
Whats New (http://download.efilive.com/Software/whatsnew_8_2_16.htm)

Version Numbers:
After installing the Dec 2017 Public Release Release you should have the following software, boot block, firmware versions installed:

[*=1]EFILive V7 software: V7.5.20 To view the installed version, select Help->About (in the V7 Scan or Tune software).
[*=1]EFILive V8 software: V8.2.16 To view the installed version, select Help->About (in the V8 Scan and Tune software).
[*=1]Boot Block: V2.07.007 (Feb 07, 2014) To view/update the Boot Block, click the [Check Firmware] button in the V8 Scan and Tune software.
[*=1] Firmware: V2.07.133 (May 03, 2017) To view/update the Firmware, click the [Check Firmware] button in the V8 Scan and Tune software.

Download here:
Download EFILive V7.5 (http://download.efilive.com/Software/V7.5/EFILiveV7.5.20_Setup.exe)
Download EFILive V8 (http://download.efilive.com/Software/V8/EFILiveV8.2.16_Setup.exe)

Known Issues:
Issue #1:
If you are Black Box Logging PIDs from an ECM and TCM simultaneously and you have selected a PID from the transmission controller (TCM) that has an identically named PID in the engine controller (ECM), then when the log file is loaded back into the V8 software for viewing, that TCM PID will be displayed as if it originated from the ECM. The PID's data will have correctly been logged from the TCM, only its name will appear to indicate that it was logged from the ECM.

Workaround:
None.
It is a restriction of the *.efi (V7.5 log file format). That restriction will be removed and the TCM PIDs will display their true origin once the V8 scan tool software is available and fully integrated with the V8 tuning tool software.

Issue #2:
When logging DMA PIDs (i.e. PIDs whose names end with "_M" or "_DMA"), if the ignition is switched off for an extended period while data logging but data logging is not terminated, then when the ignition is switched on again the data log automatically continues. However the DMA PIDs may no longer return valid data.
Workaround:
EFILive recommends stopping the data log and restarting the data log when switching off the ignition for extended periods.

Issue #3:
Adding a key to the [Remote] section of a tune file is only active for the following controllers: LS1B, E38, E40, E54, E60 and E67.

Workaround:
None.
Support for additional controllers will be added in a future update.

Issue #4:
Table B7017 does not display correctly for E78 OS 12654014. Can also cause a failure when opening an E78 tune file, with error "Bad bin file" or "Invalid floating point operation".

Workaround:
Save the attached file 12651404.calz into the folder (overwrite the existing file): \Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\E78.
You will need administrator privileges to perform that operation.

Issue #5:
The EFILive_CmdLine.exe application fails to gang program attached devices.

Workaround:
Unzip the attached file EFILive_CmdLine.zip into the folder (overwrite the existing file): \Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V8
You will need administrator privileges to perform that operation.
Note: The updated EFILive_CmdLine.exe supplied in the zip file is compatible with the current version (V8.2.16) of the EFILive V8 software only.

Issue #6:
The "Allow calibration values to exceed recommended limits." option was not being applied to individual property calibrations, only to table style calibrations.

Workaround:
None.
Will be fixed in the next beta release.

-

required field
May 24th, 2018, 04:12 PM
EDIT: I found a solution to this issue. On Windows 10, there's a new feature "Ransomware Protection" in the system settings. I had "controlled folder access" enabled (this may be the default in Win 10 Pro). In the menus there's an option to allow an app through controlled folder access. I added the EFILive_ScanAndTune.exe to the list of "allowed apps" in the "allow an app through controlled folder access submenu" and it seems to work just fine now. I'll be adding the other executables from EFILive to this list, but it seems possible that Microsoft could be engaged to let your software through. It appears that Win10 Home DOES NOT have this feature at all, so if you guys try to repro, please use Win10 Pro.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just tried a clean install of this release (Windows 10 with latest updates from MS), and though the software appears to install, running v8 Scan & Tune gives repeated error dialogues-
"Cannot create file "C:\Users\MyUser\Documents\EFILive\V8\Config\EFILiv eScanAndTune.ini". The system cannot find the path specified."

"Access Violation at address 00EBBF2A in module "EFILive_ScanAndTune.exe". Read of address 00000000."

"Access Violation at address 00EBB7AC in module "EFILive_ScanAndTune.exe". Read of address 00000019."

"Access Violation at address 0096D335 in module "EFILive_ScanAndTune.exe". Read of address 00000000."

"Access Violation at address 00992615 in module "EFILive_ScanAndTune.exe". Read of address 0000000C."

After dismissing all of these (several repeat), the software launches, but none of the modules work, Scan, Tune, Tools, etc (I get more access violations.)

I'm running the EXE as an administrator on the admin account, and have tried the Win10 compatibility settings to run it in WinXP, Win 7 and Win 8 modes to no avail. (I had the same issue with the last public release.)

This is my main tuning machine, so I'm hoping there's something in the works, previous service packs of Win 10 (or whatever MS calls them now) worked just fine, and there's not a good way to prevent auto updates without shutting off internet access.

Let me know if there's any additional info I can provide that would be helpful for your team!

Blacky
May 27th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Have you checked that the folder: C:\Users\MyUser\Documents\EFILive\V8\Config
actually exists?

Use Windows Explorer and go to that folder (if it exists) and try to create a new text file in that folder.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
May 27th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Ahh, I see you already found the solution :)
Thanks for the update/explanation, good to know.

Regards
Paul

Have you checked that the folder: C:\Users\MyUser\Documents\EFILive\V8\Config
actually exists?

Use Windows Explorer and go to that folder (if it exists) and try to create a new text file in that folder.

Regards
Paul

joecar
May 28th, 2018, 07:07 AM
From post #2 above:

EDIT: I found a solution to this issue. On Windows 10, there's a new feature "Ransomware Protection" in the system settings. I had "controlled folder access" enabled (this may be the default in Win 10 Pro). In the menus there's an option to allow an app through controlled folder access. I added the EFILive_ScanAndTune.exe to the list of "allowed apps" in the "allow an app through controlled folder access submenu" and it seems to work just fine now.

required field
May 30th, 2018, 02:40 PM
I spoke too soon- I'm seeing 100% reproducible "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" errors that cause a reboot on my machine when starting v8 (or the v8 control panel) with my FlashScan plugged in. It also triggered on v7.5 when I tried going through the registration flow.

I've tried uninstalling the drivers, and reinstalling the 2.12.26 driver from March 2017 in the USB Driver manager, but it doesn't help.

This is probably some other recently added Win 10 Pro security feature, but I've got no idea what it might be.

In the Control Panel, the USB Driver Version is listed as 00.00.00, and the library version as 03.02.14 when my FlashScan is unplugged.

Blacky
May 30th, 2018, 03:31 PM
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT is a windows error (Page Frame Number list is corrupt) that could be caused by a misbehaving driver. In this case it may be because of the FlashScan USB driver.

First thing to try is to completely remove the FlashScan USB driver and then reinstall it using the following method(s):

Disconnect all EFILive USB devices.
Run the application: \Program Files (x86)\EFILive\Drivers\Utilities\Remove FDTI USB Drivers\CDMuninstallerGUI.exe
Enter the value 0403 for Vendor ID then:

enter the value E4A0 for Product ID and click [Add]
enter the value E4A1 for Product ID and click [Add]
enter the value E4A2 for Product ID and click [Add]
enter the value E4A3 for Product ID and click [Add]

Click [Remove Devices] (some devices may not be removed because they were never installed in the first place)

Once all devices have been removed, click [Cancel] to close the window.
If you get a dialog popup saying "This program might not have installed correctly", just [Cancel] it.

Now reconnect FlashScan, you should see a message saying "Installing device driver software" and then "Device driver software not installed" and FlashScan's screen will remain blank (AutoCal's screen should function normally).
That is because the device driver software has been removed from your PC.

So now you need to re-install the device driver software.

Disconnect FlashScan again.
Run the EFILive V8 USB Manager software and click the button: [Install USB V2.12.26 (March 2017)] to install the latest drivers.
Then reconnect FlashScan to complete the driver install.
You may need to restart your PC if requested.

Regards
Paul

required field
May 30th, 2018, 04:12 PM
Thanks! Solved again! I had tried using the USB manager program installed with V8 to remove and re-install the drivers (even getting the blank screen behavior described in your post), but that didn't do it. Is it usual that this more manual driver removal is necessary?

Blacky
May 30th, 2018, 04:21 PM
Thanks! Solved again! I had tried using the USB manager program installed with V8 to remove and re-install the drivers (even getting the blank screen behavior described in your post), but that didn't do it. Is it usual that this more manual driver removal is necessary?

No, normally it is not required. But if the driver files become corrupt or damaged in some way then it may be necessary.

Installing/removing drivers is complicated, both from a technical perspective and a security perspective. Windows caches driver files to speed up the process of plugging in a device an having it recognized. I don't klnow the exact mechanism but I wouldn't be surprised if "removing" a device driver just sets a flag to indicated "these driver file are no longer in use". Then "re-installing" the driver may just un-set that same flag indicating to use those same driver files again without actually updating/replacing the files. Or it may simply trigger a "check for driver updates" and if/when no update can be found it just re-uses/re-activates the same driver files.

Performing the instructions above physically removes/deletes the driver files, so if they were corrupt or bad in some way then they will be replaced with new/clean ones during the next install.

Regards
Paul

CR500
June 3rd, 2018, 07:55 AM
Its been a while since I've updated since everything was working and I didn't want to screw it up.

I just downloaded 8.2.16 (had to manually download), installed, and now when I launch V8 it doesn't see anything connected. Tried a reboot and disconnected / reconnected the USB cable. Still doesn't see the flaschscan.

Any idea?

Thanks

Forgot to mention the computer is still on XP. Firmware read using flashscan display = 2.07.91 and bootblock = 2.07.07

CR500
June 3rd, 2018, 11:18 AM
I got it. Went into:

C:\Program Files\EFILive\Drivers\Utilities

and used the EFILive USB Manager to delete and reload the drivers.

Seems to have fixed it.

rcr1978
June 6th, 2018, 06:17 AM
Has anybody had any trouble with LML's for the e86B ? I'm getting the dreaded p0606 code with tunes I run for a while before and now I've just had problems after using the new update?

rcr1978
June 6th, 2018, 06:18 AM
I didn't have any trouble using the previous beta version now that I've updated to the public version is when I ran into trouble but again it could be on my end with a bad ECM just curious if anybody else has had trouble.

GMPX
June 6th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Here is a very detailed description for the E86 diagnostic codes.

https://gsi.ext.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/pdf/2015/15OBDG09%20Engine%20Diagnostics.pdf

It gives a great run down of all the scenarios that can trigger a P0606 (page 111).

Road
June 6th, 2018, 03:27 PM
I didn't have any trouble using the previous beta version now that I've updated to the public version is when I ran into trouble but again it could be on my end with a bad ECM just curious if anybody else has had trouble.

I have had to recover a couple with using beta version. Public release still having some failed flashes but have been recoverable. Talked to several that have been seeing this and we are thinking it is a USB driver issue.

rcr1978
June 6th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the reply and sorry for cluttering this thread, I think I might have it narrowed down to some corrupt files on my flash drive. I have two tuning laptops and keep one in the truck and one up at the house. I use a usb jump drive to keep things updated between the two confuzrs, well anyways I loaded a new tune on the jump drive and went to flash my truck and all my files were missing on the jump drive so I went back up to the house and reloaded all my files back on the drive 3G worth of stuff. Went back to flash the truck but flashing files from the jump drive not ones saved on the laptop, made it 3 miles down the road lost the throttle and got the P0606 code. To make the story short I probably flash 15 different tunes, fulls ,cals, killed the code ect.... same result it would drive for a bit and quit. Turn the key off and restart then it would go again for a while, I stole my friends ECM to try but before I put it in I flashed files that had been save on the computer for a while and not ones from a jump drive and it hasn't had any trouble yet but tomorrow is a new day.

Thanks again for the help, I will update if things change.

Mitco39
June 7th, 2018, 04:29 AM
I have had to recover a couple with using beta version. Public release still having some failed flashes but have been recoverable. Talked to several that have been seeing this and we are thinking it is a USB driver issue.

I have gotten a $0534 Invalid serial as well after a failed flash trying to recover. Before the latest release the flashes would fail but a recovery flash would be all that is needed to recover the truck and try again, now you have to backdate your software or use OE tools to bring it back.

GMPX
June 7th, 2018, 09:33 AM
I have gotten a $0534 Invalid serial as well after a failed flash trying to recover.
Mitch, is this with Bosch ECM's only?

GMC-2002-Dmax
June 7th, 2018, 09:33 AM
That list looks like a mess in print, I can only imagine the mess it is in code..........makes my head hurt

Mitco39
June 7th, 2018, 11:41 PM
Mitch, is this with Bosch ECM's only?

Just on the Bosch LMLs I have noticed this so far. Basically if it sees a failed flash it will report invalid serial and not allow you to recover the ecm.

rcr1978
June 8th, 2018, 01:25 AM
Now that you guys bring up the failed flash thing I did get a couple on the last beta release and thought huh that's weird but it was fine on the second try. After the problems from the other day I've been to scared to try again since I needed this truck to go to work :doh2: Maybe I will try a few more flashes today I got a spare ecm on the way just in case they were cheap.

rcr1978
June 8th, 2018, 04:21 AM
I want to come in here and apologize for jumping on the blame the new update bandwagon, I'm a victim of the oldest newbie mistake in the book. Somehow one of my older tunes that worked fine before I used to build a new tune off of in one of the torque the fuel tables some numbers got added to the zero column in the upper RPM. So when I tried to flash the updated tune I had problems and then I went back to the old known good tune ( the one that was messed up) and still had problems these were all on the flash drive then I finally loaded a tune that was saved on the laptop everything worked fine. This morning I went and reloaded new tunes on the flash drive and tried it again I still had the same troubles then I went back through the tunes and found the torque the fuel table messed up. So it was never corrupt files or issues with the software, just a oversight on my end:doh2:

GMPX
June 11th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Thanks for letting us know.

clubby5000i
June 23rd, 2018, 11:50 PM
Hi team,
any luck with the DMA pids for OS 12673958?

GMPX
June 24th, 2018, 10:29 AM
No sorry, DMA PID's have not been updated.

golzee
July 5th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Hi, when using the new ecm unlock feature, once it unlocks and erases the tune, can you unplug the ecm to store until needed or do i have to use a vin license and put a stock tune in it right away. I have a spare ecm thats locked and want to unlock it but dont want to use a vin license on it until needed?

Blacky
July 5th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Hi, when using the new ecm unlock feature, once it unlocks and erases the tune, can you unplug the ecm to store until needed or do i have to use a vin license and put a stock tune in it right away. I have a spare ecm thats locked and want to unlock it but dont want to use a vin license on it until needed?

You can unplug it and store it and then at a later date, license it and flash it. Just stick a note on the ECM so you remember that it has no calibration in it when you come back to it months later and wonder why it is behaving "strangely".
Regards
Paul