PDA

View Full Version : Magnacharged 04 Silverado 6.0 too lean?

s10mods
May 13th, 2018, 08:32 AM
So I purchased a Magnacharger TVS1900 for more towing power on my 04 2500HD used the included SCT to flash it, and now I want to fine tune it properly. I have read that safe AFR for FI is around 11-11.8? I'm using 93 octane from the pump, I just installed my WBO2 and I am reading around 12-12.4 WOT. So I haven't been stepping in to it at all till I get this figured out, is 12.4 too lean? I assume its because the kit is for a stock engine and I have a CAI and a Cat back. Also the kit uses the stock 1 bar MAP sensor, shouldn't it use a 2 bar? I ordered a 2 bar with hopes of converting to a custom OS or would I be wasting my time doing all this? The truck runs great and has a ton more power than it had but I am afraid I am running too lean. I can post up a log file once I get my WBO2 connected to my flashscan (PLX had to order the TTL to serial adapter)
Let me know what you think.
Thanks.

joecar
May 13th, 2018, 05:32 PM
AFR 11.6 (EQR 1.26) is safe.

AFR 12.4 is too lean.

Use the 2-bar sensor (set the map scaler);

is it Gen3 or Gen4...?

if it's a Gen3 there might be a COS, see the document Custom OS Upgrade Tutorial - LS1.pdf in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\EFILive\V7.5\Doc\Tutorials.

if it's a Gen4 then its an E38, this already has a 2-bar VVE table.

s10mods
May 13th, 2018, 08:06 PM
Its a Gen 3, My bad on posting in the wrong section, can the post be moved to the correct gen 3 section? I will get to work on the COS as soon as I get my 2 bar MAP sensor.

s10mods
May 13th, 2018, 08:21 PM
I was reading the COS Tutorial and it says to disable the MAF, can the MAF not be used with a COS?

s10mods
May 14th, 2018, 01:41 AM
In the mean time till I get my 2bar and my TTL 232 adapter is there something I can do in the current tune to give it more fuel so I am not running lean? I have attached my current tune.

joecar
May 14th, 2018, 05:53 AM
No worries, I moved your thread to the Gen3 section.

joecar
May 14th, 2018, 05:55 AM
I was reading the COS Tutorial and it says to disable the MAF, can the MAF not be used with a COS?
Disabling the MAF is for tuning the VE (the COS has special feature to retain the HO/LO adaptive spark in presence of MAF DTC).

You can run the COS with MAF.

joecar
May 14th, 2018, 05:57 AM
In the mean time till I get my 2bar and my TTL 232 adapter is there something I can do in the current tune to give it more fuel so I am not running lean? I have attached my current tune.Increase table B0101 (VE) in areas where you make boost... increase say 30% and do a test drive, analyze the log to see if you need more/less air (fuel is added in ratio to air).

statesman
May 14th, 2018, 07:43 AM
In the mean time till I get my 2bar and my TTL 232 adapter is there something I can do in the current tune to give it more fuel so I am not running lean? I have attached my current tune.

From what I see in your tune file, you appear to be running a return style fuel system. Save yourself a lot of heartache and install a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. In the meantime, don't drive the engine too hard.

s10mods
May 14th, 2018, 08:40 AM
From what I see in your tune file, you appear to be running a return style fuel system. Save yourself a lot of heartache and install a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. In the meantime, don't drive the engine too hard.

That's the bad thing, this is how the tune came from Magnacharger and I have a returnless fuel system. I dont know what the IFR table should be set to, but I know its not flat. In the kit it suggested to get the pcm reflashed to stock and I did that. attached is my stock file, the only changes I have made to the Maggie file are some trans shift parameters, remove vats and recal the speedo. I have no idea why they would have the IFR table the way it is but I will need to correct that in my new 2bar tune also.

s10mods
May 15th, 2018, 01:57 AM
Well I finally got my AFR at WOT around 11.5, bad thing is when cruising if i start to head up a hill and it starts hitting boost its way rich (10.8) but i guess till I get it sorted out and start a COS tune its better than being lean. I ended up changing B3618 as changing the VE table did nothing because they changed B0120 down to 1600 RPM so its only using the MAF at that point correct? Also the commanded AFR is WAY off from the actual AFR in OL. would that be the MAF thats not calibrated correctly then?

joecar
May 15th, 2018, 05:46 AM
Good observation regarding IFR B4001 by statesman.

joecar
May 15th, 2018, 05:48 AM
Well I finally got my AFR at WOT around 11.5, bad thing is when cruising if i start to head up a hill and it starts hitting boost its way rich (10.8) but i guess till I get it sorted out and start a COS tune its better than being lean. I ended up changing B3618 as changing the VE table did nothing because they changed B0120 down to 1600 RPM so its only using the MAF at that point correct? Also the commanded AFR is WAY off from the actual AFR in OL. would that be the MAF thats not calibrated correctly then?
Erring on the rich side is safe (erring lean can be quite disastrous).

B0120 set at 1600 rpm means that MAF-only is used from 1600 rpm and up... you are right, changing VE will have no effect.

s10mods
May 15th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Good observation regarding IFR B4001 by statesman.

Shouldn't B4001 be liner rather than flat if I have an un-referenced return less fuel rail?

joecar
May 15th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Shouldn't B4001 be liner rather than flat if I have an un-referenced return less fuel rail?

Yes correct, B4001 slopes up to the right for un-referenced (return-less) systems (it slopes as the squareroot of pressure... this is almost linear).

What statesman is saying is this: for boost, run a referenced/return system, B4001 will be flat and will now cover boost and vacuum.

s10mods
May 16th, 2018, 04:29 AM
Would it really be worth the effort to run a referenced regulator? I would have to remove the in tank regulator and add a return fitting to the fuel pump module. Is it that much better or easier to tune for a stock 6.0 running 6psi?

I did change my IFR table using the excel sheet found here and commanded AFR is much closer to actual than it was.

Another question is I have a Road Runner and want to use that when doing my COS 2 bar tune, is it the same procedure to install the COS? Full flash to the RR then cal only flash then read it? Then whats it take to return it if I use my RR in another vehicle? What I am trying to do is get a safe tune and put that in my regular pcm then start my COS 2bar on my RR so that if I need to use my truck to haul something and my tune is not finished I can just swap the pcm and map sensor back and be ok to go. I have a trip planned for Memorial day where I need the truck and don't know if i can get the 2 bar tune dialed in by then.

joecar
May 16th, 2018, 08:52 AM
It would be simpler for you to run the returnless FPR for now... just keep in mind that on the iFR table (B4001), boost is to the left (which does not exist) on the MANVAC axis.

Yes, same procedure to install the COS on the RR.

You can flash any compatible OS into the COS at anytime.

s10mods
May 22nd, 2018, 09:18 AM
I still havent got my WB02 hooked up to serial yet, I lost my serial cable somewhere but anyway I am getting some KR randomly, especially this past weekend when towing a trailer. I couldn't hear any audible knock so I am wondering if its false knock. I have heard of it before but not sure exactly what I am looking for. I have attached a log file from my drive home today and it shows some knock 4+ deg. should I pull timing out or is this false knock?

joecar
May 22nd, 2018, 11:54 AM
You can still run your WB using analog...

joecar
May 22nd, 2018, 11:59 AM
Looks real... post tune file.

s10mods
May 22nd, 2018, 12:31 PM
Here is the current tune file. I know i can run analog, I just haven't tuned anything in so long I also don't have my terminals for the analog input pins. I ordered another Serial cable.

s10mods
May 31st, 2018, 11:53 AM
I was finally able to log my AFR, I could only log it in Lambada, for some reason when I used AFR it was all over the map. not sure what was going on with that. possibly the adapter to the PLX? I wish I would have gone with a different brand WBO2...

joecar
May 31st, 2018, 12:14 PM
You can drop the pid GM.AFR and log GM.EQIVRATIO instead...
this goes nicely with WO2LAM1 (since the the BEN is GM.EQIVRATIO * EXT.WO2LAM1)
( and avoids having to account for the differences in stoich AFR )

Also, for tuning, to keep the pid channel count no larger then 24, drop another pid, GM.DYNCYLAIR_DMA (since you're logging GM.DYNCYLAIR).