PDA

View Full Version : Laptop specs and logging speed

oztracktuning
June 26th, 2006, 10:43 AM
I have Celeron 800 and it cant keep up when logging unless i hit F12. What specification laptop is needed to be able to keep up when logging and actually viewing the data screen?

Will this change with V2.?

emarkay
June 26th, 2006, 03:03 PM
It's all in the manuals, but that's always a general guide. First off, What OS, and version of OS? Next, how much RAM, what other progs are loaded, is disk optimized, are you 100% malware free, all connections secure, etc...

Blacky
June 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Also read Appendix-G of the Scan Tool manual. It gives hints on what you can change to to help your PC keep up.

Regards
Paul

zrx1200
June 26th, 2006, 07:47 PM
it may help to stop any applications that arent needed..or selective startup..

Tordne
June 26th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Works great on my Dual Core laptop with 2GB memory :) Sorry.

The Scan Tool has been around for a while so the spec should need to be outrageous.

oztracktuning
June 26th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I thought there might be a certain spec of Laptop that would be much quicker at displaying the graphing data and not get behind as much as my older Pentium I. ......just checking if its worth upgrading to a quicker Laptop so that i can see knock the instant it happens when on a dyno rather than a little afterward. I guess it will be fine if i just look at the virtual dashboard instead.

Tordne
June 26th, 2006, 09:50 PM
If you don't have a requirement for a laptop (other than for use by EFILive) then you probably want to get something modest. I just happen to get pretty good hardware for my job.

Probably anything like a PentiumIII or Pentium Mobile would be heaps (I would guess). I first used it on a Pentium Mobile 1.4Ghz and it was perfect. Can probably pick them up on eBay for next to nothing?

joecar
June 27th, 2006, 05:24 AM
I peeled off the "Intel Xeon" sticker off one of the 3.2GHz hyperthreading 8x cpu 128GB ram servers I use in our computer lab, and pasted it on my laptop...:D speeded it right up [in my mind :D...]

Tordne
June 27th, 2006, 08:09 AM
I peeled off the "Intel Xeon" sticker off one of the 3.2GHz hyperthreading 8x cpu 128GB ram servers I use in our computer lab, and pasted it on my laptop...:D speeded it right up [in my mind :D...]

You should try an install that puppy in the boot (sorry trunk ;)). Will add extra weight of course, but that will have no delays on the "Plotting Map Data.." :muahaha:

joecar
June 27th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Ha ha, the extra weight will definitely improve traction. :D

GMPX
June 27th, 2006, 11:36 AM
As was pointed out to me by Paul recently, when viewing the charts if you are zoomed a long way out it can lag behind (the display) falls behind. This happens on my 2.2GHz P4, 512Mb RAM Laptop, though, I am convinced it has 'issues', if it were an engine it would be getting torn down because it has never run like I would expect.:rippedhand:

Cheers,
Ross