PDA

View Full Version : Data Logging Bug with Scan Tool in V8

edwardzracing
August 15th, 2018, 04:45 PM
I am experiencing a weird issue with the Scan Tool in V8 that I've had ever since using it. I was wondering if someone can possibly assist. I took a video of what's going on because I figured it'd be hard to explain. Basically the live data does not show up right away (or at all) until I change the properties of the map I'm on. The video link is below. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't know if I can scan my '12 Regal GS with V7 as the PID list is much different and I can't scan nearly as many channels (unless I'm missing something) as I can with V8. Any help would be much appreciated. I've had this issue on two different HP laptops running Windows 10. I'm lost. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liB34FSXAXw

Blacky
August 16th, 2018, 06:29 AM
I can confirm/reproduce the same problem you have reported. It will be addressed in the next update.
Thanks for taking the time to make the video and upload it - makes it so much easier to reproduce and track down the problem.

Regards
Paul

edwardzracing
August 16th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Much appreciation for the response. As far as you know, there is really no workaround? Do you believe it might be the systems I'm using or like a display setting? Not a huge deal if the update will address it, but I'm just curious. Any idea when the next public release will be coming?

Thanks again.

Brad

Blacky
August 16th, 2018, 12:24 PM
Much appreciation for the response. As far as you know, there is really no workaround? Do you believe it might be the systems I'm using or like a display setting? Not a huge deal if the update will address it, but I'm just curious. Any idea when the next public release will be coming?

Thanks again.

Brad

No unfortunately there is no workaround. After investigating this issue, turns out the code that updates the maps in real-time was disabled* some time ago due to changes made to the way PID aggregates were handled for the charts (i.e. the min/max/avg/stddev values displayed when you select a range). In fact selecting (or deselecting) a range in the charts will cause the maps to re-populate with the current data. So even though they are not updating in real time you can still see the resulting map once you stop logging by selecting and then de-selecting a range of data in the charts (or simply left-clicking in the chart area). You just can't do that while the data is being logged.

* It was disabled when the code that handles the chart aggregates and the code that handled the map data was consolidated into a single routine. That routine used to be updated in real-time. However, computing the stddev in real time was too time-consuming and so was reduced to computing the aggregate data only after a selection was made. That had the unfortunate side effect of knocking out the maps' real-time updates as well.

The next update (the first one with the problem resolved) will be a beta update and should be available some time later next week. It will be posted in this forum: https://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?71-Software-Updates-and-Installation-Help

Regards
Paul

DrX
September 3rd, 2018, 12:50 PM
I had the same experience today. I can confirm that the Beta update fixed it.

joecar
September 6th, 2018, 06:48 AM
DrX, thanks for confirming.