PDA

View Full Version : $06FF on an E38, no start and stuck in my driveway

LBZoom
September 4th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Hey guys,
I've seen other users with this issue, had to have a file "fixed" looks like? Or maybe someone has a clean stock file that matches I can try?

Stock File attached22386

GMPX
September 4th, 2018, 09:45 AM
There is nothing wrong with this file that would cause this. I think there was a beta version that had this happen on some occasions.
Just try install software (and update firmware) from this beta 4.
https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?28618-August-2018-Beta-Update-4

Cheers,
Ross

Renzo707
February 5th, 2019, 09:47 AM
Hello Ross,

I too am experiencing this issue code. I have attempted numerous times to upload a factory OEM tune and as well as an 87 Flex fuel & 91 flex fuel tune. My first attempt at uploading the 91FF tune sent my car into a lock out mode and that $06FF Code. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2012 CTS V6 AWD.

-Lorenzo

GMPX
February 5th, 2019, 09:48 AM
You'll have to post your tune up here please and I can take a look.

Renzo707
February 5th, 2019, 09:53 AM
Unable to load file. Coz file.

GMPX
February 5th, 2019, 09:59 AM
Ok, just make more posts (I think 5 is the minimum before you can put attachments up), post any text to get the post count up then you should be ok.
So a .coz file is just the calibrations, do you have the full .ctz instead?
If this file is locked to a tuners Flashscan then you will have to get them to contact us as we can't unlock the file, they will need to send us your stock tune.

Renzo707
February 5th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Okay

GMPX
February 5th, 2019, 10:11 AM
Is it your own tune or were you sold a tune from someone else?

Renzo707
February 5th, 2019, 10:37 AM
I purchased multiple tunes from Will at Overkill. An 87 Flex fuel, 91 Flex fuel, 93 Flex fuel, and transmission tunes. As well as their 80mm TB.

Renzo707
February 5th, 2019, 10:38 AM
Now I’m gettin’ this code.

Renzo707
February 5th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Will has been very helpful in trying to get me on the right track through email. He has given me great advice and tried to help me troubleshoot this issue.

Renzo707
February 5th, 2019, 10:48 AM
I

Renzo707
February 5th, 2019, 10:51 AM
I’m new to forums and I ain’t sure how to direct message on here. My iPhone isn’t letting me upload my tunes. I can forward you the email Will sent me with my tunes though. If you wouldn’t mind giving me your email?

GMPX
February 5th, 2019, 11:16 AM
I won't post my Email on here because of spam bots.
Send it to support@efilive.com
Or have Will send the tunes over to the same address, actually we only want your stock tune as read from the vehicle. Lets get the car running with the stock file (which won't be stock I suspect) and then we'll work on the others. We'd rather not have tuners send us their modified tunes.

Renzo707
February 5th, 2019, 11:30 AM
Sent over right now! ����!

GMPX
February 5th, 2019, 12:06 PM
PM sent

Road
February 12th, 2019, 09:53 AM
PM sent

Ross

I have a e38 with $06ff error too. Stock file was read with a Autocal, I sent modified file back as a cal flash only and it failed. Tried the original read with full flash and still $06ff.

GMPX
February 12th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Mike, that file is fine to use as there has been no attempt to disguise a tune like some of the handheld tuners do (which causes the $06FF).
I'd suggest the failure is caused by something on the vehicle corrupting the data being sent during the flash (we often hear of people with monitors trying to scan whilst flashing etc).
Have your customer make sure they don't have anything like that wired up and if they do them them to turn it off.

Given the customer tried a full flash and it failed the only way to recover it now is by full flashing, a cal only flash will not bring it back to life.

Road
February 14th, 2019, 02:44 PM
Mike, that file is fine to use as there has been no attempt to disguise a tune like some of the handheld tuners do (which causes the $06FF).
I'd suggest the failure is caused by something on the vehicle corrupting the data being sent during the flash (we often hear of people with monitors trying to scan whilst flashing etc).
Have your customer make sure they don't have anything like that wired up and if they do them them to turn it off.

Given the customer tried a full flash and it failed the only way to recover it now is by full flashing, a cal only flash will not bring it back to life.
He dealer flashed it and then tried to flash it with EFI and it failed the same way couple more times. So I had him to keep it in bootloader mode and had him update his V8 scan and tune. Then file flash in with no errors.

GMPX
February 14th, 2019, 02:49 PM
....had him update his V8 scan and tune. Then file flash in with no errors.
If we had a dollar for........:mrgreen:

Nick Fly
March 20th, 2020, 04:26 AM
I know this is an old thread but I'm currently having the same issue. I recently bought a Flashscan V2 and I scanned the tune off my E38. I know the tune that was on my E38 was a diablo custom tune. I took that tune and disabled one check engine light and tried to re flash the updated tune back to my ecu. I did a Full Flash. Should I have done a Cal flash? Either way I got the same error in the title and now my truck won't even try to start. What should I do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Road
March 20th, 2020, 04:29 AM
I know this is an old thread but I'm currently having the same issue. I recently bought a Flashscan V2 and I scanned the tune off my E38. I know the tune that was on my E38 was a diablo custom tune. I took that tune and disabled one check engine light and tried to re flash the updated tune back to my ecu. I did a Full Flash. Should I have done a Cal flash? Either way I got the same error in the title and now my truck won't even try to start. What should I do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please retry the flash operation.

Tune files that have been incorrectly modified by other tuning packages may contain information that prevents the correct calculation of the checksum. Please open the tune file and search for calibration B9999 “Flash Checksum Fail Fix”. If that calibration exists, follow the instructions in that calibration’s description and then retry the flash operation.

Nick Fly
March 20th, 2020, 05:16 AM
I tried to search "B9999" and "Flash Checksum" on my version 7.5 tune tool while I had my tune open and nothing came up. Does this mean I'm out of luck??

-Thanks!

Road
March 20th, 2020, 05:19 AM
I tried to search "B9999" and "Flash Checksum" on my version 7.5 tune tool while I had my tune open and nothing came up. Does this mean I'm out of luck??

-Thanks!

Maybe not send a email to support@efilive and see if they can do something

GMPX
March 20th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Email me direct if you want - ross@efilive.com
It is Saturday in NZ so support@ won't be there.

Nick Fly
March 21st, 2020, 01:33 AM
GMPX was able to get fixed up on the $06FF code, now my trucks runs again!! My next question is does this same issue happen with trans tunes? I read the TCU tune off the truck when I read the ECU tune off it and when I went to reflash the ECU after modifying the tune is when I had the $06FF code come up. Now I’m afraid to try to reflash the TCU after slight modifications until I know more about the $06FF issue. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Restomod Camaro
June 22nd, 2020, 12:01 PM
Have 06FF for E67 crate engine.

Try loading stock file back in have same issue.

Any advice?

Nick Fly
June 22nd, 2020, 12:31 PM
Have you tried to search B9999 when in your tuning software? If you have and it does show up, there is instructions in the info window that tell you how to fix the issue. If it does not show up, try updating to the latest EFI Live software and trying again. When I had this issue and I searched B9999 nothing came up and I had to send my tune to GMPX to get it fixed. I later found out that I had 2 versions of the EFI Live software saved on my computer and the one I was using was saved somewhere other than the default location. When I tried to update to the latest version it said I was already up to date, which the version in the default location was, but the one I was using was not. Once I started using the version in the default location I was able to find B9999 and correct the issues myself.

I'm currently at work but I can try fixing your attached tune when I get home in about 2.5 hours. Let me know if you want me to try and fix your tune.

Restomod Camaro
June 22nd, 2020, 12:41 PM
Can not find B9999

If you are able to help this would be very appreciated.

GMPX
June 22nd, 2020, 01:37 PM
Yours is a bit easier, it is just that the checksums are disabled (which is not uncommon for the crate engine ECM's), it is not like the ones above where other tuners have messed with the files.
In V7 when you have your tune loaded up you should see a button "Update Checksums", all you need to do for this file is click on that and then resave, then it should be fine from that point on.

For those wondering, this does not cure the ones that require B9999 to be available :frown:

Nick Fly
June 22nd, 2020, 02:58 PM
Thanks GMPX! I learned something new now also!

Restomod Camaro
June 22nd, 2020, 03:05 PM

thanks for the help, i got it running.

now to more accurately scale the injectors

GMPX
June 22nd, 2020, 03:07 PM

Notice the warning said "Checksums Disabled", it isn't a guarantee but when it says that it is usually safe to fix them. If it had said "Checksum Incorrect" with a red cross then you don't want to fix and flash in that instance.

Chinook
July 27th, 2020, 02:52 PM
I also have the same issue with a E67 ECM (create engine and controller from GM for a river Boat), the ECM was previously tune by another tuner. I down load the file and save it, It states that the checksum have been disabled.
EFI is up to date but i get the same error (Script exited with code $06FF: Checksum failure.) even when i try to upload the original file before i modified it. The one thing i noticed the when you try to upload it shows that the VIN is all 00000000000000
Any help would be appreciated

Chinook
July 28th, 2020, 01:49 AM
GMPX
I see on other threads you were able to fix the file to be loaded when some one else has tuned the controller before, would you have time to look at my file?

Restomod Camaro
July 28th, 2020, 03:28 AM
did you look at post 30? read and try GMPX's advise... It worked for my issue..

Chinook
July 28th, 2020, 03:46 AM
Restomod Camero
thanks for the reply, yes i have tried this and still comes up with the same error code

Chinook
July 28th, 2020, 04:20 AM
I tried post 30 again and now im getting status calibration missing when i try to download ECM

GMPX
July 28th, 2020, 08:38 AM
Post your file up here or Email to support@efilive.com and we'll see what is going on.

Chinook
July 28th, 2020, 09:00 AM
GMPX
Sorry new to the forum and have emailed them to support email

GMPX
July 28th, 2020, 02:42 PM
Can you please describe the steps you took to fix the checksums? Your file above is corrupted.

Chinook
July 29th, 2020, 12:02 AM
Before i started i down loaded the stock file then proceeded to modify it with several times saving each modified file. I tried to cal flash with V7 for the first mod file but it would say one or more checksum detected upload cancelled, i tried this a couple of times then tried V8 with a Cal upload. Same issue then i tried a full flash but the same issue. Got on the EFI Live forum and found this thread and read about the checksum updater and proceeded with the stock tune to checksum update, saved the file then tried to load with V7, no luck then tried V8 cal upload then a full flash.

GMPX
July 29th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Well the thing is there is a massive amount of data missing from the file you are trying to flash, that is what it is continuing to fail, how that has happened I have no idea.
There is a couple of files you sent support@ that are ok, they just needed the checskums fixed, but the one you posted on here that is no good, you need to delete that file.
What you need to do is take the file you first read out, fix the checksums, then full flash it.

Chinook
July 29th, 2020, 01:01 PM
GMXP
Thanks for the help and the support team, i'm back up running with no more issue