PDA

View Full Version : End of the road coming for EFILive?

Wolfie
September 25th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Or are we all safe from this?

posted: Mon 6:40 PM, Sep 24, 2018 |

Updated: Mon 9:13 PM, Sep 24, 2018

DETROIT (AP) -- The government says a Florida company will spend more than $6 million in penalties and repair costs for selling computer software that disables automotive emissions controls.
The Justice Department and Environmental Protection Agency say that Derive Systems of Sanford, Florida, sold 363,000 products that violated the Clean Air Act.
In a civil settlement, Derive must pay a $300,000 penalty and spend $6.25 million to fix the products so they don't violate the law. Messages were left Monday seeking comment from Derive.
Government documents say Derive sold the software under the SCT and Bully Dog brands. The government says hand-held products known as "tuners" would overwrite automaker programs. The software would stop catalytic converters, particulate filters and other emissions controls from working.
The company also must stop selling the software.

GMPX
September 25th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Or are we all safe from this?
Ask yourself, what makes anyone special to be 'safe' ?
I wasn't aware this case was even ongoing so therefore I am not sure on the particulars of the products involved. However for a long time now EFILive has not any emissions violation parameters in our software, the violations they listed above cannot be done with EFILive.

Wolfie
September 25th, 2018, 10:40 AM
I wasn't referring to me... it was just a general question concerning the tuning industry as a whole.

Ask yourself, what makes anyone special to be 'safe' ?
I wasn't aware this case was even ongoing so therefore I am not sure on the particulars of the products involved. However for a long time now EFILive has not any emissions violation parameters in our software, the violations they listed above cannot be done with EFILive.

SS2win
September 26th, 2018, 09:49 AM
For what it's worth, SCT/bullydog have been asking for trouble... not happy to see it but also not surprised by this news.

turbo_bu
September 27th, 2018, 04:01 AM
Rumor has it that this particular case was caused by their handheld (e.g. pre-programmed) diesel tuners. I don't believe that it was due to SCT's tuning software.

Road
September 27th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Fwiw Derive purchased SCT and Bully a few years ago. Derive stepped and took responsibility and also in return agreed to the settlement and big part of it will be investing and training tuners to be compliant. Derive fought for our rights and did a lot to protect the future of this industry with this settlement.