PDA

View Full Version : Locking and unlocking converter in 3rd gear

Scott(382-$T$)
June 29th, 2006, 07:40 AM
I have tried several times to get my converter to unlock under part throttle.
No matter what i have tried for settings, the converter will not unlock under
part throttle. I am wanting to cruise around town in 3rd with the converter
locked. Then while locked i want it to release under part throttle. Right now
it will only unlock under full throttle. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks

Rico
June 29th, 2006, 08:19 AM
You tried D1008 - TCC Throttle Release ?

Scott(382-$T$)
June 29th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Yup sure did

kbracing96
June 29th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Conditions have to be meet in both D1005 Release speed (above set speed/ tps postion) and D1008 Throttle release for the converter to unlock at part throttle. Mine is setup not to unlock till 100% tps in third, but I have set it up to release in forth shortly before a down shift is called for at high way speeds.

emarkay
June 29th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Is the stock converter clutch designed for this? (I really have no idea.) Wondering if holding it engaged longer and under more load at release will either prematurely wear it, or cause a destructive failure? Also, isn't torque management being applied under a WOT unlock?

dc_justin
June 29th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Conditions have to be meet in both D1005 Release speed (above set speed/ tps postion) and D1008 Throttle release for the converter to unlock at part throttle. Mine is setup not to unlock till 100% tps in third, but I have set it up to release in forth shortly before a down shift is called for at high way speeds.

Are you sure it is both and not one or the other?

My truck has throttle release set to 100% across the board for 2nd, 3rd and 4th from the factory, but that doesn't stop it from unlocking via the release speed table... :nixweiss:

kbracing96
June 29th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Humm... Maybe it is one or the other. I was trying to get my truck to unlock in 4th on the interstate before the down shift, and it wouldn't do it with just lowering D1009 tps setting untill I lowered the speed setting in D1006. I thought it had to be both settings... maybe I was wrong.

dc_justin
June 29th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Humm... Maybe it is one or the other. I was trying to get my truck to unlock in 4th on the interstate before the down shift, and it wouldn't do it with just lowering D1009 tps setting untill I lowered the speed setting in D1006. I thought it had to be both settings... maybe I was wrong.

:nixweiss:
Maybe the release throttle doesn't work with our trucks. I have only been using the speed release. Going to try the throttle release table tomorrow. I want my converter to unlock at the point that I go into boost below 2400rpms.