PDA

View Full Version : replacement E38 Vats

akafred
May 22nd, 2019, 03:46 AM
i am putting a replacement e38 in a 08 silverado, can efi live get VATS to work without licensing the ecm? its from the same make/model/engine size.

ScarabEpic22
May 22nd, 2019, 07:35 AM
You have to license any ECM/PCM/TCM to flash it, period. You can easily disable VATS on the E38, it's about 5 mouse clicks, then license the ECM and flash.

akafred
May 22nd, 2019, 07:58 AM
was hoping to not disable VATS and not program ECM as ECM came from running truck same yr with same motor and trans, 5v supply in old ECM is dying.

will pull both files tonight and see if they are the same os/cal

not even sure disabling vats will work as key on these trucks hook to BCM and not ECM.

basically i don't want to use license to flash this and have the truck still not start, if that is a possibility then i would be better to go to dealer and get them to perform the Theft Deterrent relearn/ flash ECM

You have to license any ECM/PCM/TCM to flash it, period. You can easily disable VATS on the E38, it's about 5 mouse clicks, then license the ECM and flash.

efiharness
May 22nd, 2019, 08:41 AM
There is more than one 5v supply in the E38. You can run all the 5v+sensors on one supply if needed. Steve

akafred
May 22nd, 2019, 11:13 PM
ended up licensing it, it had a different tune on it, same os, copied my tune to it and it still wouldn't start, ended up having to disable VATS to get it to crank/start. now runs but has constant security nag on dash.