PDA

View Full Version : Vista Requires Digitally Signed Drivers?

Supercharged111
May 26th, 2019, 04:41 AM
My laptop HDD took a dump so I had to replace it. The laptop is old as hell, but it's my tuning laptop so who cares. As such, I still have Vista however I've always had Vista and I've always had V7.5 with no troubles over the course of multiple hard drives. This last one was from 2011 though so I think I got my money's worth out of it. Anyway, I got Windows back on and reinstalled EFILive no troubles, but Windows is claiming there are no USB drivers installed. Per the install software, they were installed with 7.5 for Vista but when I plug in the V2 it's a no go. I directed Windows to my install CD and it's now claiming that Vista requires digitally signed drivers and that my drivers are not digitally signed so I'm dead in the water. I don't ever recall encountering this before and a quick google search didn't get me anywhere. What am I missing?

Supercharged111
May 26th, 2019, 04:50 AM
Oh it gets better. I rebooted the laptop and nothing changed. Next I went into the device manager to attempt to update the drivers by manually selecting the location (C:\Program Files\EFILive\Drivers\Win-XP-Vista-7-8) and it claimed the best driver was already selected. The little yellow exclamation mark remains next to it and when I click properties it claims the drivers are missing. I'm 100% stuck.

When I opened the CD, I right clicked and opened the CD as "Explore", then right clicked the EFILive Installer and ran as administrator.

I also just went full nerd and created a legit admin account, so if it's a privileges thing I think I can trump that now.

joecar
May 26th, 2019, 08:56 PM
Did you get the driver installed...?

Supercharged111
May 27th, 2019, 02:37 AM
I really can't tell if it's installed and unusable or what, all I know is that it doesn't work and I've never seen this error mode before. Was hoping Blacky would have seen this thread.

Supercharged111
May 28th, 2019, 02:44 AM
Can you tag people on this forum?

ScarabEpic22
May 28th, 2019, 03:22 AM
Start by downloading the the latest version (2.08.28) of the USB drivers from the main EFILive site. The driver package should be the same for Vista as Win 7, so you shouldn't have any issues using the latest version. Start with using the Uninstall option within the USB package, reboot, then reinstall the drivers, reboot again, then plug your V2 in. Check the driver version as well. Try a different USB cable.

If you're using a CD, guarantee it's outdated. If that doesn't work and you're not running the latest software versions, EFILive will probably tell you it's not a supported config and won't assist unless you upgrade.

Supercharged111
May 28th, 2019, 05:48 AM
I have a newer 7.5 I can install, but I'm not going any newer than that because I want to retain the ability to tune a Duramax for when I eventually get one. The thing that I don't get is that this CD was installed on this Vista on another hard drive and worked just fine. In fact, I could probably put that HDD back in the laptop and it'd work for 10 or so minutes before crashing.

cindy@efilive
May 28th, 2019, 08:15 AM
You have the same functionality in old versions of V7 as well as new versions. We never removed any parameters. What we did do was change the way we developed new support. Update your software and let us know how you go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Supercharged111
May 29th, 2019, 04:31 AM
Hmm, just did some reading and I guess it's not the end of the world. I don't think I'll be able to open my old V7 files anymore? If not, I do have this HDD partitioned, could I have 2 versions of EFILive software installed at one time? Obviously I wouldn't have V7 with the intent to flash as the firmware wouldn't be compatible, but it would be nice to copy/paste stuff over from my old tunes if possible.

cindy@efilive
May 29th, 2019, 08:38 AM
New software still allows you to open and use old files, although you will be asked to save them in the current format. The restriction is backwards compatibility - you cannot use new files in old software. In my testing of the new release yesterday I was opening files from 2010 in 2019 software.

Supercharged111
June 13th, 2019, 04:31 AM
Thanks to Statesman for shedding some common sense on this matter, google to the rescue.

http://www.icas.no/no/filer/DisableDigitalDriverSigninginWindows7Vista.pdf

Supercharged111
June 14th, 2019, 12:44 PM
So the above link didn't work for me. The F8 temporary disabling worked, but after a reboot it wouldn't work. You'd have to F8 and disable digitally signed drivers every time you logged on which would be super annoying. I used the 2nd p;ermanent method ID'd for Vista in the below link.

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-drivers/how-to-disable-driver-signature-enforcement-on-windows-10-8-7-xp-vista.html

Did that, gave it a reboot, and the drivers are now working. Super glad I went this route, because it would have been frustrating to first update software and have that not be the fix. Looks like I'm on Service Pack 1 so waaayyy behind on updates. I think my next move will be to manually install all the updates I can get my hands on for Vista, it's definitely a little flakier than it was before as it's much farther behind the times than it was before.

statesman
June 14th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Good to see you got it fixed. :cheers:

Supercharged111
June 15th, 2019, 01:55 AM
Yeah, I only milked this for how many months? Starting with crapped out HDD. Now I can finally swap injectors, MAP, and go COS to put the blower back on the dually. :rockon:

ScarabEpic22
June 17th, 2019, 04:45 AM
If it becomes a further issue with Vista, you can usually find NOS genuine Windows 7 licenses for less than $50.

Glad you're up and running again!