PDA

View Full Version : VIN Change Not Updating

TBMSport
November 26th, 2019, 12:26 PM
So when I change the VIN (either in v.75 or Tune Tool Properties) the original VIN is still showing in the TCM when I perform an F2: Read. I have done a Cal Flash, Full Flash and a Flash in V2. It doesn't matter. As soon as I pull the calibration the original VIN shows up again in the TCM. It even shows the original VIN in the V.5 "Show PCM Info" pop up.

Software and Firmware are up to date. Any ideas? Is this some new GM witchcraft to keep the original VIN locked in the TCM?:crash::crash::crash::wallbash::wallbash:

GMPX
November 26th, 2019, 01:40 PM
What TCM model?
A new VIN is only stored in RAM until the TCM (or ECM) powers down, eg, IGN Off. If you aren't waiting long enough (say 10 - 20 seconds) when the IGN is turned off or if on a bench set up the TCM is losing main power then it will never write the new VIN.

TBMSport
November 26th, 2019, 07:07 PM
I am doing benchtop. I am waiting the required 15-20 seconds. I am waiting minutes. I am waiting hours. I am turning switch ignition off, with main power still on. I am doing all kinds of combinations. No matter what, when I hit the change VIN, I don't even see any lights flicker on the V2 or hear the T43 make a noise. It's as if the command is not executing. The calibrations are going in and out, but the VIN just will not change in the main data sector. T43 model 24241890

TBMSport
November 27th, 2019, 05:27 AM

cindy@efilive
November 27th, 2019, 10:00 AM
I get that same access violation as you. In future versions of V8, the [F4: Properties] window will be disabled until a tune file is open. You should be prevented from using all functions that screen unless there is a tune file open.

Ross will respond shortly on the rest of your items.

Cheers
Cindy

GMPX
November 27th, 2019, 11:03 AM
I am doing benchtop. I am waiting the required 15-20 seconds. I am waiting minutes. I am waiting hours.
20 seconds should be plenty :sly:

I am turning switch ignition off, with main power still on. I am doing all kinds of combinations. No matter what, when I hit the change VIN, I don't even see any lights flicker on the V2 or hear the T43 make a noise.
Ok good, appreciate that on so many occasions the reason the VIN will not 'stick' is because of people not having the correct bench power setups which I went I had to mention that.

It's as if the command is not executing. The calibrations are going in and out, but the VIN just will not change in the main data sector. T43 model 24241890
Something to note, on every GM ECM the VIN is not changed during a flash, think of how inconvenient that would be for people.
The only way to change it is via the specific VIN change commands.
I will go dig up a T43 and test the function here and report back to you (though I don't know what P/N ours are). When you are in V7 using the VIN change option you should indeed see the V2 LED's flicker when the messages are being sent so your observation would indicate there is an issue there.
The VIN change done to the file in V8 is only for the file, this is not written to the TCM during a flash (as mentioned above).

GMPX
November 27th, 2019, 12:20 PM
My test just now indicates everything is working as expected in V7 (using TCM P/N 24239352 with OS 24270599 in it).

Check current VIN:

Program New VIN:

Check new VIN after power cycle:

Can we just confirm that for you using the process above you never see the VIN change on screen? (Ignore what the .ctz file has in it for the moment).

Cheers,
Ross

TBMSport
November 28th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Ok 2 things are drastically different.

When using V8, this is what I am doing and encountering. I READ the TCM, do the ignition shutoff, let it countdown, let the file open up and then go to F4:Properties. I click the "..."button to change the VIN. I change the VIN. I click UPDATE CHECK DIGIT and/or CHANGE VIN. It instantly changes the OLD VIN field, but shows no other indication of communicating with the V2 or TCM

When I go in via 7.5, I open the file but I don't get the PCM SECURITY menu option

So when I attempt to READ the module I get this:

Oddly after I click ok, then the data window goes away and then magically the PCM SERCURITY option is available:

I put the VIN in and attempt to have it update and I get this:

I've attempted this on 2 different laptops, so I feel as if there is an issue with the V2 or a configuration of it.

GMPX
November 28th, 2019, 09:18 AM
When using V8, this is what I am doing and encountering. I READ the TCM, do the ignition shutoff, let it countdown, let the file open up and then go to F4:Properties. I click the "..."button to change the VIN. I change the VIN. I click UPDATE CHECK DIGIT and/or CHANGE VIN. It instantly changes the OLD VIN field, but shows no other indication of communicating with the V2 or TCM

This only changes the meta data in the file, it is not used for changing the VIN in the TCM.
As I mentioned above, the VIN is not changed during a flash so changing the VIN in the file (which is all this is doing) will not result in the TCM VIN changing.

When I go in via 7.5, I open the file but I don't get the PCM SECURITY menu option

I'm not sure what is happening there but maybe this work around will fix it.
Instead of opening a T43 file, open something like an E38.
Then click on the PCM Security icon (which should be available when an E38 is loaded).
From there you can manually select the T43 and see if you get a different result.

Cheers,
Ross

TBMSport
November 28th, 2019, 10:09 AM
ROSS!!! YOU BRILLIANT, HANDSOME, MAGNIFICENT MAN, YOU!! *BIG HUG* THANK YOU! Fixed! Now I just have to remember to do it this way! :)

GMPX
November 28th, 2019, 10:51 AM
Well it has been the 'only' way since V7 came out all those years ago :lookaround:
Not sure what was going on with the T43 selection initially but I'm glad it worked for you in the end.

TBMSport
November 28th, 2019, 11:49 AM
I may have just forgotten having been out of the tuning/calibrating world for a while and doing supporting hard parts design and manufacturing. The last few VIN changes were ECMs so I clearly didn't realize that the slave module hierarchy of the T43 meant it doesn't like to be directly touched