PDA

View Full Version : Can HP Tuners Read COS Tunes From EFILive?

Supercharged111
June 22nd, 2020, 02:59 PM
My friend has HPT and we tried pulling the tune on my dually to get a look at the 4lo stuff. Hunting for a spot with the camper, I actually have a use for 4lo but with the COS the way it is I'd have to wind it out to get the thing to shift out of 1st. Seeing how HPT can alter this stuff, I'm wanting to get this fixed as I know another guy with their version of a stream license who will hook me up. We were unable to get my tune pulled, it always failed at the halfway point. There was something it definitely didn't like. We then proceeded to warm over the stock tune on said friend's 2005 GMC 2500HD 6.0/4L80 and I can say with absolute certainty that those trucks are far more finicky than mine when it comes to reading and flashing. That said, since updating my software/firmware my EFILive has been an absolute peach with those era trucks. If I were to get HPT to read, would a flash mess up my COS stuff? Would I need to full flash un-COS, alter that stuff with a cal only flash, re-COS, then dump my current cal only tune back on to make it work? I was gonna monkey with the throttle lift TCC unlock stuff inherent to the 4L80 as well.

GMPX
June 22nd, 2020, 04:05 PM
HPT can probably read the PCM still, can they edit the file though? I'm going to say I hope not because we haven't given them permission to be able to use our COS's in their software.
The PCM having an EFILive COS should not have made any difference to the PCM failing to read part way through.

Supercharged111
June 23rd, 2020, 02:27 AM
So sounds like I'd need to start with my base tune, cal flash that with HPT, COS it, then copy/paste my trans stuff because I suspect a segment swap would wipe it back out.

minytrker
June 23rd, 2020, 05:22 AM
It depends on the COS, years ago a COS wold lock out the other software but I have read out a efi cos with hpt to edit some tables efi didnt have have.

Supercharged111
June 23rd, 2020, 05:33 AM
I forget which OS is the base OS on my dually, it's not the popular 12212156 like my 1500 is. It's COS3 though on an LS1B PCM and my goal is the same, TCC release settings and 4lo shift tables that aren't accessible in EFILive.

minytrker
June 23rd, 2020, 08:25 AM
12212156 was the original OS on the COS5 I read out with hpt.

ProperTuningOG
June 23rd, 2020, 08:59 AM
Yes you can edit a COS with HP. Heres a file.

GMPX
June 23rd, 2020, 10:27 AM
So this file is an EFILive COS that you can edit / flash with HPT?

Supercharged111
June 23rd, 2020, 03:16 PM

Is the stuff in the EFILive Custom Calibrations stuff in its own segment like engine, engine diag, trans, etc?

ProperTuningOG
June 23rd, 2020, 03:28 PM

Yes, I flashed the ECM with EFILive COS and a setup file. Then read, emailed and remotely tuned with HPT since thats what the customer had.

GMPX
June 23rd, 2020, 03:31 PM
Well that shows some classy morals over there at HPT, take EFILive's R&D and sell it as your own.

Supercharged111
June 23rd, 2020, 03:35 PM
Well that shows some classy morals over there at HPT, take EFILive's R&D and sell it as your own.

Forgive my coding ignorance, but is that what has happened? Or does HPT pull that stuff down and send it right back when you reflash even if HPT hasn't unlocked your proprietary parameters? I.E. they're just in the background?

GMPX
June 23rd, 2020, 03:42 PM
The EFILive Custom OS's have specific numbers we made up, sounds like they've gone out of their way to make sure their software recognises those OS's so they can be read and flashed with their software (based on what 'ProperTuningOG' said). But it also wouldn't surprise me if their users could see the additional maps/functions we add in as well, I'm sure 'ProperTuningOG' can clarify if that is possible.

Forgive my coding ignorance, but is that what has happened? Or does HPT pull that stuff down and send it right back when you reflash even if HPT hasn't unlocked your proprietary parameters? I.E. they're just in the background?

That doesn't matter, it is our code being reused by a competitor.

Supercharged111
June 23rd, 2020, 04:07 PM
Wow. That is a total dick move.

GMPX
June 23rd, 2020, 04:50 PM
Yeah it is , not really in the spirit of the game is it.

Supercharged111
June 23rd, 2020, 04:51 PM
Not from where I'm standing.

wesam
June 24th, 2020, 12:10 AM

Yes Hptuners can read and modify COS5
As I tested

minytrker
June 24th, 2020, 09:54 AM

GMC-2002-Dmax
June 25th, 2020, 03:43 AM
Maybe you should start flashing some of their "ECM's".................you know, as a way to let them know how serious this can be !!!!

I can think of a great first one to start with.

LOL

wesam
June 25th, 2020, 04:12 AM
Maybe you should start flashing some of their "ECM's".................you know, as a way to let them know how serious this can be !!!!

I can think of a great first one to start with.

LOL

Specialy E90 ��

GMPX
June 25th, 2020, 09:49 AM
And lower ourselves to their level :sly:

Besides all the late model ECM's that need digital signatures with their software, from what I'm told they resign them with their own sigs so nothing but their software works with them.
The controllerdiagnostics.com ones are a much better option, at least they aren't vendor locked.

GMC-2002-Dmax
June 25th, 2020, 10:33 AM
And lower ourselves to their level :sly:

Besides all the late model ECM's that need digital signatures with their software, from what I'm told they resign them with their own sigs so nothing but their software works with them.
The controllerdiagnostics.com ones are a much better option, at least they aren't vendor locked.

Thanks,

I had no idea.............:good:

modpcm
June 26th, 2020, 12:31 AM

Is efilive has a plan to allow flashing a modified ecm by controllerdiagnostics.com ?

GMPX
June 28th, 2020, 12:34 PM
This can already be done in the latest V8 betas for the controllers they unlock (and we fix checksums etc).
However the format of the .bin files has not been documented for people yet. There is nothing special about the format it is just that the signatures etc all still need to be in place and located at the correct locations in the bin.

modpcm
June 28th, 2020, 05:30 PM
That is great news, we have fleet customers looking for 55mph speed limiter, we received 1 controllerdiagnostics.com ecm to do testing , would like to flash a non modified file 1st and confirm the ecm operation is ok ( I have no doubt it is but will do one step at the time) . Is creating 1 binary file from tis2web files is good enough ?
thanks

GMPX
June 28th, 2020, 05:39 PM
EFILive has ZERO mapping on these yet, all you can do is load files and flash them. I know that doesn't bother a lot of users as they have files already done in WinOLS etc, but I thought I have to mention that.
Yes TIS2WEB files are good but it's not straight forward to get these all merged into one file ready to go. This is why we haven't made much noise about this yet, it's all in the very early stages of being implemented.

Might be worth starting a new thread on this specific topic, it is going to get lost in here.

Montecarlodrag
June 29th, 2020, 02:20 AM
HPT can read, open, edit and flash several EFI COS. I have tested a few.
It's not as complete as it is with EFI but it works. IIRC several people requested that feature to be added, I was surprised when I discovered they did it because they usually reject any request that doesn't involve a lot of money for them.

GMPX
June 29th, 2020, 09:53 AM
I was surprised when I discovered they did it because they usually reject any request that doesn't involve a lot of money for them.
Then I wonder what the motive was? Just to reinforce what everyone thinks about how they conduct themselves :sly:

In-Tech
June 29th, 2020, 11:09 AM
Pretty shitty of them IMO :badidea:

GMPX
June 29th, 2020, 01:48 PM
No point dwelling on it, I'm not surprised at all TBH, time to move on.

duramaximizer
October 4th, 2020, 05:35 PM
Any update?

GMPX
October 5th, 2020, 12:06 PM
On what?

Tyson
February 1st, 2021, 04:30 PM
On what?

Hello not sure if this matters but i can for sure say there software will read and cal write your COS3 for LS1b. And yes the extra tables are mapped out.

Tyson
February 1st, 2021, 04:32 PM
Sorry ment to respond to this post

Tyson
February 1st, 2021, 04:32 PM
The EFILive Custom OS's have specific numbers we made up, sounds like they've gone out of their way to make sure their software recognises those OS's so they can be read and flashed with their software (based on what 'ProperTuningOG' said). But it also wouldn't surprise me if their users could see the additional maps/functions we add in as well, I'm sure 'ProperTuningOG' can clarify if that is possible.

That doesn't matter, it is our code being reused by a competitor.

This one

Supercharged111
February 1st, 2021, 04:43 PM
So. . .do I win a prize for having brought this to light? :hihi:

GMPX
February 2nd, 2021, 09:34 AM
Hello not sure if this matters but i can for sure say there software will read and cal write your COS3 for LS1b. And yes the extra tables are mapped out.
Yeah we are well aware of this, have known about it for ages. I asked one of the HPT guys directly why they would do that and basically got a 'oh well' response.
But we aren't going to lose sleep over it, the LS1 is 20+ years old now anyway.

Tyson
February 3rd, 2021, 05:55 AM
Yeah we are well aware of this, have known about it for ages. I asked one of the HPT guys directly why they would do that and basically got a 'oh well' response.
But we aren't going to lose sleep over it, the LS1 is 20+ years old now anyway.

Ok just read the qoute and figured you were still looking for an answer.