PDA

View Full Version : What is required to tune LSx engines? Autocal or more?

allantaylor8907
July 20th, 2020, 12:57 PM
I have an autocal with a tune from a tuner for an LS swap Ive done. I have a new project and was interested in tuning some myself. Can I use the software on my laptop and the autocal to tune either PCM? Is the FlashScan hardware absolutely necessary? I am OK purchasing a license for the additional VIN just curious if I could make it work with the EFILive software on my PC and the autocal.

Thanks

joecar
July 22nd, 2020, 05:06 AM
If you have a suitable log file, you can "remote" tune...

but someone will have to use an FS or an AC to flash the tune into their PCM.

allantaylor8907
July 22nd, 2020, 06:38 AM
I just wanted to clarify - I have the autocal and the engine is mine. I also have the software on my laptop so I dont need to do any remote tuning per-se rather just edit and tune on my own PCM with the laptop and autocal. I just was not sure if the FS was required in all scenarios

cindy@efilive
July 22nd, 2020, 11:12 AM
AutoCal can read and flash your new project without any issue, however AutoCal cannot sign new tunes (ie. tunes you write) for flashing. That permission is only available for FlashScan devices.

AutoCal is the hand held tuning device of your tuner. They provide tune files for the vehicle, and control available VIN License slots. They create a link from their FlashScan to the AutoCal that prevents any other device from providing tunes so they can protect their IP.

In your case your options are:
1. Have your existing tuner provide tunes for your new vehicle using AutoCal.
2. Have your existing tuner unlink the AutoCal from their FlashScan and use a different tuner to tune your new vehicle using AutoCal. (NOTE: Once you change tuners, tunes from your old tuner will no longer work).
3. Purchase FlashScan to tune the vehicle yourself.

Cheers
Cindy