PDA

View Full Version : PFN LIST ERROR V7.5 SCAN TOOL - help !

APS Luis
July 21st, 2020, 11:24 AM
Hey guys

Been having a few issues of late with the v7.5 scan tool showing delayed data , you can datalog a car then switch the ignition off and the data will still keep recording for sometimes up to 1 minute after key off .
I have this on 2 different laptops.

The latest issue, I will be data logging and suddenly the p.c will freeze , and I will get a blue screen with "PFN LIST ERROR" - again , this happens on 2 different laptops with 2 different efilive V2's

Any clues ? memory management ?
8gb ram on both of these on Win 10 64

joecar
July 22nd, 2020, 05:12 AM
In the scatool, go Help->About and post here the build version.

Blacky
July 23rd, 2020, 10:15 AM
The V7 scan tool is single-threaded which means the data logging and the screen update/refresh is done in the same thread on a single core. That can cause the thread to start lagging if it has to draw too many updates. You can reduce the amount of screen update/refreshes by forcing the V7 software to only update the display every "N" frames of data logged. Updating the screen every 4 frames is usually a good compromise, like this:

Note: The V78 scan tool is multi-threaded and does not suffer from this type of lagging.

APS Luis
July 26th, 2020, 04:46 PM
In the scatool, go Help->About and post here the build version.

Hey Joe
Did it on V7.5.28 and getting the same problem on V7.5.30

Blacky
The V7 scan tool is single-threaded which means the data logging and the screen update/refresh is done in the same thread on a single core. That can cause the thread to start lagging if it has to draw too many updates. You can reduce the amount of screen update/refreshes by forcing the V7 software to only update the display every "N" frames of data logged. Updating the screen every 4 frames is usually a good compromise, like this:

Thanks Blacky , totally understand that V8 is the next step forward but I have used V7.5 for 10 yrs with no issues whatsoever, now this.
I asked about this lag once before and had no real improvement even after turning down the update rate.
It seems to only do it on E38 ecu , E40, LS1 and E67 is seemingly not affected.
never really got the PFN error before until now either

Tre-Cool
August 2nd, 2020, 11:58 PM
I have seen this on my old laptop.

It turned out to be cpu power/thermal mgmt as the cpu clock being wound back. Was a pain in the ass as it would do it when i had the external battery pack plugged in.

Easy thing to check, download cpuid & see what the clock speed & multiplier are at when your on mains vs battery.

I'm currently using a laptop as old as my last one, as i get them from the throw out pile at work. lol. pulled my hard drive out and whack it in this one and away i go.

the last one was pulling cpu speed down to like 800mhz when on battery.